CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Shocks and Struts 1996 Deville

Rckjaws10

I believe my struts are getting weak on my car. Front end can get very bouncy at times. Everything is original suspension wise except for the stabilizer links. So I would plan on doing the rear air shocks at the same time. Now my question is does anyone have any recommendations for companies or brands of shocks and struts besides the AC Delcos. I work at the dealer and was quoted 900 each for the rears, and 650 for the fronts. On top of that price, recently all the shocks and struts for the car have been discontinued by GM. So even getting them through the dealer is not an option. At least my dealer. Even if I could I'm not sure I really want to drop 3 thousand dollars on shocks. I have thought of going to junkyards and possibly getting lucky and finding some originals with lower miles.. My deville is at 115000 right now. However if not I'm looking for anything that will keep the ride as close to original quality as possible and not create problems with codes and such. I've searched up a few different brands and the list can get confusing. So if anyone has installed anything, or has any suggestions it would help a lot.. Thanks!

I used Monroe 40046 shocks on the rear of my STS. Rockauto had them for less than $100 each. They had the air fittings so the factory air lines hooked up to them and the level control system still works. I had to solder in a resistor to the old shock harness to create a cheater plug so the service ride control message would not display.

It's not suprising that GM has discontinued the shocks and struts. They wanted SO much money for them that very few units were sold so the accountants decided to discontinue the parts.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If you want the OEM electronic shocks and rear level control for RSS, Monroe is your best option. If you don't have RSS Monroe is still your best option but the shocks and struts are cheaper. Get your VIN handy, and, if you can find it, take a picture of your option sheet inside the spare tire cover (the suspension options are FE1/FE3/FE7, FE1 is probalby your suspension option and takes the less expensive shocks and struts; look for YP7 for d'Elegance and YP8 for Concours in case that makes a difference) and have that and the VIN handy and call Monroe to get the part number from Monroe. You can get the actual shocks from Rock Auto or Amazon or whatever, or at least get the prices so you know what to expect when you get them put on.

For the rear, Rock Auto lists the non-RSS version that still has the air bags for $99 each. With the RSS electronic control they are $363 apiece. AC/Delco are still available at Rock Auto for $604 or $799, neither with RSS. Rock Auto has the non-RSS struts for $60 each; they don't list the RSS struts for the 1996 DeVille for some reason; maybe they weren't used in the 1996 DeVille (see below).

I don't believe that your car has RSS but you can easily tell by running the OBD codes (on the A/C contorls press <Off> and <Pass Warmer> together for about 10 seconds, release when all the dash lights come on) and watching for the RSS module in the codes. The sequence is PCM codes, then IPC codes, then ACM, SDM (air bags), TCS, RSS if you have it, PZM (body), etc. If it goes straight from TCS to PZM, you don't have RSS and your shocks are less expensive.

If you plan to drive the car yourself and don't have plans to retire or trade it, I would definitely go with OEM spec shocks from Monroe.

I was looking at the Monroe web site, their electronic catalog, and they don't list electronic struts, just electronic rear shocks, for your car. I checked my car and they do list electronic struts for the front. So, to me that implies that the 1996 DeVille doesn't use electronic shocks on the front. That kind of thing is why you need the suspension option, model code, and VIN handy when you call for the part number.

In general, I find that the dealer is quite often not the best place to maintain an old car. If you really need Goodwrench expertise (elusive or intermittent OBD codes that a good mechanic has trouble finding and fixing) or want to pay a premium for the fantastic Goodwrench warranty (A/C compressor, alternator), that's more of a dealer repair. If you have a good relationship with them and they are doing your routine oil changes and such OK, stay with them for that, but whenever you see the big numbers that don't make sense you are probably looking at paying for what amounts to a Goodwrench warranty that they really can't honor in the future becuase they won't have the parts. The shocks and struts are a really good example right now.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I used monroes on the front of my Seville. 97. they were bolt on and plugged right in. Last went 3000 mile trip with it and no codes. rides nice. very affordable. right off rockauto

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I believe the 1996 model year is quite unique for the DeVille, as it may be the only one in which the entire production were originally equipped with electrically adjustable dampers. Standard models were equipped with RSS (2 position dampers) and the Concours was fitted with CVRSS (continuously variable dampers - first year).

• 1 month later...

Okay so I checked the sticker by the spare and seen the FE1 code on it. Also the front struts do have electrical plugs and harnesses. Looking at the Monroe rear shocks I see the ones that are around 350 with electrical harness and air bag. Should these be a direct replacement for mine and plug in without any issues? As for the front struts Monroe does not have any on their site with electronics, so I am assuming I have no choice but to solder or wire things together to prevent codes? How would this be done? The front struts have two options. The more expensive of the two is only 100, and I believe it's called sensa trac. This seems low price, are they quality front struts for this car? Also I will add the deville is just a base model. Not concours or anything else.

interesting. The monroes I bought for the front of my Seville had the plugs and everything works like oem. not sure how different the deville is but things did change a bit between 96 and 97.

Thats not a bad deal for the rears at all

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

What are the Monroe part numbers you're referring to?

Okay so I checked the sticker by the spare and seen the FE1 code on it. Also the front struts do have electrical plugs and harnesses. Looking at the Monroe rear shocks I see the ones that are around 350 with electrical harness and air bag. Should these be a direct replacement for mine and plug in without any issues? As for the front struts Monroe does not have any on their site with electronics, so I am assuming I have no choice but to solder or wire things together to prevent codes? How would this be done? The front struts have two options. The more expensive of the two is only 100, and I believe it's called sensa trac. This seems low price, are they quality front struts for this car? Also I will add the deville is just a base model. Not concours or anything else.

What are the Monroe part nos.?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I used Monroe 40046 - they are a direct replacement and the factory air line connects to the shock. The only thing I had to do is solder a resistor across the old shock harness.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Monroe part number for rear shocks is 40018. I also see 40046 for the rears, but the other option looks more like the shocks on the car now. Front strut options are 71854 and 801854. Both are listed as without electronic suspension. Which my car has.

Monroe part number for rear shocks is 40018. I also see 40046 for the rears, but the other option looks more like the shocks on the car now. Front strut options are 71854 and 801854. Both are listed as without electronic suspension. Which my car has.

The 40018 is for the continuously variable road sensing suspension. Unless your car is a Deville Concours, this is not the correct rear shock. The base Deville uses 40046. You will need to fabricate a cheater plug to defeat the message on the dash.

The front strut part nos 801854 and 71854 will convert the car to a passive system - again, you'll need to use the harness from the original struts to fabricate cheater plugs to defeat the SERVICE RIDE CONTROL message on the dash.

Keeping the electronic suspension on the car is going to cost big $$. It isn't worth it in my opinion - the electronic shocks/struts are prone to failure in the electric portion. I had one go bad on the '96 Seville I used to own at 72,000 miles...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 2 weeks later...

So I am leaning towards the Monroe shocks and strut options. With the Monroe front Sensa Trac struts, has anyone used these? They seem like a very low price for such an expensive part if bought OEM. Just want to have reasonable quality and the car ride close to original as possible. Its just OEM is far too expensive. As for the rears, the 40046 part does not look like it has an air bag in the photo, how does it still keep use of the air level system then? Lastly, if I did install them I would have to solder all four suspension corners to stop the ride control message, what do I need to do to get that done?

So I am leaning towards the Monroe shocks and strut options. With the Monroe front Sensa Trac struts, has anyone used these? They seem like a very low price for such an expensive part if bought OEM. Just want to have reasonable quality and the car ride close to original as possible. Its just OEM is far too expensive. As for the rears, the 40046 part does not look like it has an air bag in the photo, how does it still keep use of the air level system then? Lastly, if I did install them I would have to solder all four suspension corners to stop the ride control message, what do I need to do to get that done?

The 40046 has the air bag. I installed them on my car. They are a direct fit and the factory air line connects right up.

Use the harness from the old shocks and trim the wires to about 6". Solder a resistor across the wires and insulate the connections with electrical tape and then cover the tape with PVC pipe cement to fuse the tape and make the connection waterproof. I used a 4700 ohm resistor for my STS but you may need a different value.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I am curious what the resistor bypasses? Is some function of the strut going to be lost with this setup?

The replacements do not have the solenoid actuators that adjust the ride from soft to firm or firm to soft. The resistor fools the module into thinking the OEM electronic struts are still connected.

With the passive shocks, you lose the variable suspension but it is not worth the additional money in my opinion to spend $1000-$1200 on OEM shocks on a 16 year old car.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I used a Boston Suspension strut and air shock in my 96, and the ride was terrific. I continued to get the message and just hit reset on the DIC, end of message ride was great. Boston Suspension is out of business. I wouldnt even worry about the resistors, hit reset. Your new system will be passive as KHE states no longer variable. I replaced all 4 springs, two struts and two air shocks, and the ride improved 1000%

I doubt the original struts are even available

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Monroe has electronic shocks that are plug and play but they are expensive and in my opinion, not worth the money. The actuators are prone to failure - my '96 SLS rear shock actuator failed at 72,000 miles... I bypassed it with a resistor until the rear shocks were worn out, then replaced them.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I had planned to remove the actuator from the old struts and attach them to the system, but I never did that, I have one in my garage someplace, I unscrewed it from my struts

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I had planned to remove the actuator from the old struts and attach them to the system, but I never did that, I have one in my garage someplace, I unscrewed it from my struts

I planned to do that on my STS but discovered the actuators were not removable on the CVRSS system. On the '96 Seville SLS, the actuators were removable but that just had the RSS system.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 2 weeks later...

The wiring changes the damping and is used with the RSS (ride sensing suspension). Without it you get a stiffer shock, with it the shock switches from soft to stiff depending on speed, road surface, etc.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

• 3 months later...

Well a few weeks ago I replaced the rear shocks, tomorrow will be the struts. Only problem is the service ride control message. For the left shock I removed the solenoid and put it in a baggy and all is good, no codes. Now the right side solenoid was weak where the connections actually enter inside of it. They broke apart, so now it is useless. I have soldered a 4.7 ohm resistor, a 5.6, and the instructions with the shock said use a 2.2. Tried that, and none of these work. Everytime it is the same code, RS0027. I know it is just a button push to make it go away, but nevertheless, it is extremely nagging and annoying to me after having spent money time and hard work into the replacement, just to see this come up everytime I go for a ride. At this point I am at a loss what to attempt, and it's very frustrating. Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't know the value of the resistor but I think the units you are giving for your resistors is incomplete. Fore example, the "4.7 resistor" leaves me wondering if it is a 4.7K Ohm resistor (4700 Ohms) or a 4.7 Ohm resistor. If the instructions that came with the shock said to use a 2.2K Ohm resistor, the color code should be red-red-red-gold.

• 6 years later...