CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Wife's favorite

Just a quick note. My wife's favorite sound is when we take off in that DTS and I drop the hammer. She loves the sound of the engine...So much that she may be getting the car from me...

Papa's lookin' at the Escalades now :)

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Escalades are great SUVs, and if you want an SUV and can afford an Escalade, nothing else really measures up. But, I don't want one myself. Why? Well, handling is the most important thing to me in a car, brakes is second, power third, then reliability and cost of operation, then whatever else there is. SUVs, at least real ones, are on a truck platform, which gives them great capabilities for SUVs - lots of space in the cabin, plenty of ground clearance, rugged suspension and lots of ground clearance that handles any road surface with ease, lots of cargo capacity, massive towing capability, and many others. But brakes and handling are limited by the high center of gravity and the same suspension that provides so many SUV capabilities.

I suggest that you drive one for a couple of days, or a week, before you get one. Lease one from Enterprise or other local rental agency if that's the path of least resistance. If you like living with it, buy it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Escalades are great SUVs, and if you want an SUV and can afford an Escalade, nothing else really measures up. But, I don't want one myself. Why? Well, handling is the most important thing to me in a car, brakes is second, power third, then reliability and cost of operation, then whatever else there is. SUVs, at least real ones, are on a truck platform, which gives them great capabilities for SUVs - lots of space in the cabin, plenty of ground clearance, rugged suspension and lots of ground clearance that handles any road surface with ease, lots of cargo capacity, massive towing capability, and many others. But brakes and handling are limited by the high center of gravity and the same suspension that provides so many SUV capabilities.

I suggest that you drive one for a couple of days, or a week, before you get one. Lease one from Enterprise or other local rental agency if that's the path of least resistance. If you like living with it, buy it.

Until last November, we had a 3/4 ton 4x4 suburban and sold it to get some quick cash and move after our house was burglarized. We have 4 kids so it was always easier hauling everyone around in that suburban and we have been talking about getting another SUV at some point. I really like the Escalade ESV but will probably look at regular Escalades as well due to them still having three rows of seating.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

My wife always loved my deville dts. So much so that we sold her grand cherokee and I gave her my dts and I bought the fleetwood. Well 2 weeks in the snow and she decided she was done with it, we had to trade it in for the buick rainier awd suv. To this day I cant understand how she spun 360 degrees in that dts when I could never get the back end to cut loose no matter what I did. And shes little so she couldnt see like she can up in a SUV. Shes always had 4 wheel drive her whole life so that 2 wheel drive was aweful to her. Guess Im saying make sure your wife loves that car enough to drive it in all seasons and prepare to watch it get treated not as good as if you were driving it. Most women will clean a house everyday but wont ever clean their cars...

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

My wife's favorite sound is when we take off in that DTS and I drop the hammer.

Yeah, mine too, especially in my old '99 STS. But I really didn't get it. She would always comment about how great it sounded, but to me it wasn't "throaty" or deep like my old Harley. To me that said POWER!

I guess it's like the book title says, Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. And they hear differently too.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

All the DOHC motors Ive been behind sound similar to me. The GM 3.4L DOHC, the Ford 3.2L and 3.4L in the SHO's, the Northstar, all have that high revving engine sound. Never did much for me either but if a woman loves it then by all means keep flooring it :)

I have driven several of the newer body styles of the DTS... bith the Performance Model like mine and the Nom Performance Model.

They have different sounds to them.

The Performance Model is a fair bit louder, both from the intake and from the exhaust.

They use different mufflers also.

I really like the sound of mine.

When it is winding up and reaching it's 7000 RPM shift point...

With the 4 cams and 32 valves...loud intake...dual mufflers...all working together and the DTS pulling hard getting ready to go to the next gear and do it all over again...

There's no other sound just like it...

I think it sounds great... :yupi3ti:

:D :D :D

Hope I ain't turning into a GIRLY MAN because I like the sound of the NorthStar... :( :(

Posted Image

Funny you should mention that Jeff. Not long ago my wife commented on how she liked that throaty roar and I was only 1/4 - 1/2 into the throttle at the time. I have to admit, it is music to my ears even at the lower throttle settings.

My wife always loved my deville dts. So much so that we sold her grand cherokee and I gave her my dts and I bought the fleetwood. Well 2 weeks in the snow and she decided she was done with it, we had to trade it in for the buick rainier awd suv. To this day I cant understand how she spun 360 degrees in that dts when I could never get the back end to cut loose no matter what I did. And shes little so she couldnt see like she can up in a SUV. Shes always had 4 wheel drive her whole life so that 2 wheel drive was aweful to her. Guess Im saying make sure your wife loves that car enough to drive it in all seasons and prepare to watch it get treated not as good as if you were driving it. Most women will clean a house everyday but wont ever clean their cars...

You can easily make 360 in your Fleetwood in the snow... I like the sound of Fleetwood at 46MPH and up.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Well, she has driven 2WD her whole life. The times that we needed the 4WD in the burb was when conditions were beyond her willingness to drive anywhere. When I met her she had a RWD Kia Sportage that she just bought but once winter came, she had my oldsmobile and I drove the Kia.

As far as taking care of the car, you are kinda right. She drives our 07 Impala right now and while she does not abuse the car, she doesn't go out of her way to protect it. She laughs at me because when we go to the store I will park in the "Way Out Back 40". When we go to the gas station, I will park at the pump pretending that I am going to get gas. Theses I do in attempts to protect against door dings. Her car is dinged up. She has scratches on the hood and trunk from people setting things on her car and then dragging them off.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

My wife's favorite sound is when we take off in that DTS and I drop the hammer.

Yeah, mine too, especially in my old '99 STS. But I really didn't get it. She would always comment about how great it sounded, but to me it wasn't "throaty" or deep like my old Harley. To me that said POWER!

I guess it's like the book title says, Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. And they hear differently too.

This 08 DTS does have a good sound when taking off. Still stock exhaust though.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

You can easily make 360 in your Fleetwood in the snow... I like the sound of Fleetwood at 46MPH and up.

I just recently replaced my whole exhaust system with the off brand non walker from rockauto and its not factory sounding. It has a slight throaty sound at idle and at low rpm its got a pretty decent hum to it. If I had the car for pure luxury and quietness I wouldnt like this new exhaust but the fact that its not silent like the stock exhaust was gives it some presence when going down the road now :)

Well, she has driven 2WD her whole life. The times that we needed the 4WD in the burb was when conditions were beyond her willingness to drive anywhere. When I met her she had a RWD Kia Sportage that she just bought but once winter came, she had my oldsmobile and I drove the Kia.

As far as taking care of the car, you are kinda right. She drives our 07 Impala right now and while she does not abuse the car, she doesn't go out of her way to protect it. She laughs at me because when we go to the store I will park in the "Way Out Back 40". When we go to the gas station, I will park at the pump pretending that I am going to get gas. Theses I do in attempts to protect against door dings. Her car is dinged up. She has scratches on the hood and trunk from people setting things on her car and then dragging them off.

thats the nice thing about soft tops, you can set keys or other things on the roof while you are fiddling with the door or whatever and not scratch anything.

Lucky You!

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Well he IS from Paradise, what else would you expect?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived