CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1991 cadillac deville

Do you know how to pull the codes?, you do not need a code reader nor do you need to have them read by anyone

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the cat is clogged. A real diagnosis awaits the OBD codes and more information about the driveability problems. The 1991 Deville has OBD I and a 4.9 liter engine with a 4T60E so I'm going to defer to those with more experience with that driveline.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the cat is clogged. A real diagnosis awaits the OBD codes and more information about the driveability problems. The 1991 Deville has OBD I and a 4.9 liter engine with a 4T60E so I'm going to defer to those with more experience with that driveline.

i just had the cat replaced, can it still clog

I will ask one more time...

Which fuse is blowing...

And what are the codes...

sorry. i dont know anything about cars. i had it looked at and all they told me was it was the 15 amp fuse located under the glovebox. they changed it and the car was running good for a while then it blew again now it blows everytime i start the car. i dont know anything about codes. this cadillac was dropped in my hands when my grandmother died.

I will ask one more time...

Which fuse is blowing...

And what are the codes...

sorry. i dont know anything about cars. i had it looked at and all they told me was it was the 15 amp fuse located under the glovebox. they changed it and the car was running good for a while then it blew again now it blows everytime i start the car. i dont know anything about codes. this cadillac was dropped in my hands when my grandmother died.

Look UP a few posts... see the post by BODYBYFISHER...

Instructions for pulling the codes are right there...

Write them down and post them here...

Then we can use the codes to diagnose what is wrong with it...

Posted Image

Okay, gents. The guy is new, so lets give him more detailed instructions.

1. Turn ignition ON to illuminate the dashboard.

2. On your climate controls locate WARMER and OFF buttons and press them simultaneously for a few seconds until you see some codes on the driver information center (DIC).

3. Be prepared to write them down as they progress.

4. Turn ignition OFF.

5. Repeat the steps if you missed something.

6. Post the written down trouble codes here, we will tell you their meaning.

Now about the fuse. If you open the glove box you will see a chart which relates to the fuses. Just pay attention and tell us what fuse keeps blowing.

That's it for now.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Okay, gents. The guy is new, so lets give him more detailed instructions.

1. Turn ignition ON to illuminate the dashboard.

2. On your climate controls locate WARMER and OFF buttons and press them simultaneously for a few seconds until you see some codes on the driver information center (DIC).

3. Be prepared to write them down as they progress.

4. Turn ignition OFF.

5. Repeat the steps if you missed something.

6. Post the written down trouble codes here, we will tell you their meaning.

Now about the fuse. If you open the glove box you will see a chart which relates to the fuses. Just pay attention and tell us what fuse keeps blowing.

That's it for now.

THANKS. AND IM A FEMALE

THANKS. AND IM A FEMALE

That's fine...

Ladies drive too, and should know a little bit about how the vehicle operates...

We will try to help...

AND I APPRECIATE IT. I HAVE THE INSTRUCTIONS AND WAITING ON MY BROTHER TO STOP BY. IT ONLY HAS 99,000 MILES ON IT SO IM TRYING TO KEEP IT. IT WAS MY GRANDMOTHERS CAR AND IT SAT FOR TEN YEARS. WHEN SHE DIED I HAD WORK DONE ON IT TO GET IT BACK ON THE ROAD AND THEN THIS HAPPENED. SORRY GUYS, CADILLACS ARE NOT FOR ME BUT IM STUCK WITH IT. I'M A MITSUBISHI FAN. THANKS FOR THE INFO. WILL GIVE UPDATES ON THE CODES SOON.

Ohhh, you were doing fine until you mentioned the Mitsubishi... :lol:

Hang in there, we can help

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Ohhh, you were doing fine until you mentioned the Mitsubishi... :lol:

Hang in there, we can help

YEA IM SHORT AND CADILLACS ARE TOO BIG. WELL I DID WHAT YOU TOLD ME TO DO AND THE ONLY CODES I SAW WERE E40 AND E52. AS FAR AS THE FUSE, ALL I CAN SAY IS BLUE 15 AMP THAT SAYS ERLS UNDER IT. PLEASE TELL ME THATS ENOUGH INFO

Cadillacs have electric seats that can raise the driver's seat to fit you to perfect visibility and control of the wheel.

Since you are female, we will try to raise the intellectual tone of the discussion a bit.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

E040 ...Power steering Pressure switch open

E052... ECM Memory reset

The fuse blowing is what is causing it to take off slow...

I think... but am not positive, that is the fuse that supplies power to the rear electronic load leveling system and to

your ABS braking system.

Anytime anything is wrong with the suspension system, or braking system, it will default to a 2nd gear start.

It is now taking off in 2nd gear... not 1st gear.

That is why it feels so slow on taking off.

There is more than likely a short to ground in that circuit causing the fuse to blow.

A short to ground is probably a pinched wire or a wire that has rubbed something and rubbed the insulation off of it

Now you just have to find the bad wire ... repair it, and the fuse will quit blowing and it will go back to taking off

in 1st gear like it should.

Are there any warning lights lit up on the dash when the car is running??

Hopefully Body by Fisher and others will chime in here...

They know more about the older models than I do...

I will defer to the more knowledgeable ones on this forum...

Posted Image

Texas Jim,

I agree with everything you said. Some fuses work for several circuits. She probably needs to disable leveling system. Probably a short in compressor. Unplugging the compressor and putting that 15A fuse back might be a short term solution. I will not be surprised if E40 code disappeares after that as well. Could be a bad connection on poweresteering switch as well. Disconneting, reconnectng that connector some10-20 times might solve that too.

I am sure, there is nothing serious with the car. Just in case check the transmission fluid when engine is warm and idling. Coolant change is the next thing to do.

Texas Jim,

I agree with everything you said. Some fuses work for several circuits. She probably needs to disable leveling system. Probably a short in compressor. Unplugging the compressor and putting that 15A fuse back might be a short term solution. I will not be surprised if E40 code disappeares after that as well. Could be a bad connection on poweresteering switch as well. Disconneting, reconnectng that connector some10-20 times might solve that too.

I am sure, there is nothing serious with the car. Just in case check the transmission fluid when engine is warm and idling. Coolant change is the next thing to do.

Thanks Adalak...

I was worried I was going off on a wrong tangent...

Posted Image

E040 ...Power steering Pressure switch open

E052... ECM Memory reset

The fuse blowing is what is causing it to take off slow...

I think... but am not positive, that is the fuse that supplies power to the rear electronic load leveling system and to

your ABS braking system.

Anytime anything is wrong with the suspension system, or braking system, it will default to a 2nd gear start.

It is now taking off in 2nd gear... not 1st gear.

That is why it feels so slow on taking off.

There is more than likely a short to ground in that circuit causing the fuse to blow.

A short to ground is probably a pinched wire or a wire that has rubbed something and rubbed the insulation off of it

Now you just have to find the bad wire ... repair it, and the fuse will quit blowing and it will go back to taking off

in 1st gear like it should.

Are there any warning lights lit up on the dash when the car is running??

Hopefully Body by Fisher and others will chime in here...

They know more about the older models than I do...

I will defer to the more knowledgeable ones on this forum...

THANKS GUYS. ITS DARK OUT HERE IN VA NOW BUT WILL GET OUT THERE TOMORROW AND CHECK THINGS OUT. YOU ALL HAVE BEEN REALLY HELPFUL

Another piece of information...for whatever it might be worth.

according to the "OTHER" forum...

A 15A fuse labeled ERLS protects the following circuits:

A/C compressor Control Relay,

Viscous Converter Clutch Brake Switch,

EGR Solenoid,

Vapor Cannister Purge Solenoid,

Power Steering Pressure Switch

Posted Image

Yahmee757va

You started out with your caps lock off and now it is on. The post will be much easier for us to read with it off.

Being female is sometimes a burden in the auto world, so I would make my 3 daughters go to the garage and help repair their cars. Its great that you are taking the initiative on your car. Good luck.

EGR Solenoid,

That explains code E40. There may be a problem in AC compressor too, I would disconnect that along with leveling compressor too to see if the fuse is fine after that.

EGR Solenoid,

That explains code E40. There may be a problem in AC compressor too, I would disconnect that along with leveling compressor too to see if the fuse is fine after that.

I agree about the AC compressor...

This list don't mention the rear leveling compressor.

I just "ASSUMED" that because of the fuse name...

E lectronic....R ear....L eveling....S ystem...

and we all know what assuming will do.. :) :)

Posted Image

your starting off in second gear. Your blowing from what I recall a 15 amp fuse under the hush panel on the passenger front. Check the connection at the ac compressor bar that connect to the timing cover. Over years it opens up the insulation of the wires and as soon as the a/c engages opens the fuse.