CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1991 cadillac deville

1991 cadillac deville. press on gas and car moves very slow. 15 amp fuse keeps blowing but it has to be something else. why does the car pull off so slow

The fuse you are blowing is the 15 amp fuse for the VCC, a/c compressor and for the power steering switch. The VCC is for the trans, when this fuse blows you only have 2nd and 3rd gear. you have to find the short in the caddy that causes it to blow. I have to find mine as well. if I turn on my defrost it blows, if use the A/c it blows but sometimes not for a day or 2. but with the defroster its immediate. I think my problem lies in the climate control. you will have to find your shorted wire.

• 9 years later...

• 3 months later...

What happens when the pedal is on the medal and the engine is holding at 3000 RPM?  Is is missing and stuttering, or is it just wheezing and holding?

If it's missing and stuttering, it could be ignition problems.  If it's wheezing but smooth, it could be a clogged catalytic converter.  That's just a sample of the possibilities.  We need more information to figure things out.

The OBD codes can tell exactly what is wrong.  The OBD codes don't show as blinking lights, and sometimes they don't cause a "Check Engine" light to come on.  And, the bulb in the "Check Engine" light can be out.  An Autozone, Pep Boys, or other similar shop will check your OBD I (OBD II started in the 1996 model year) trouble codes.  There is a way to get them from the A/C console yourself, if you are prepared to figure it out for your car.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2020 at 8:49 AM, Michael Broomhall said:

My 1991 Cadillac  Deville won't accerlate past 30 and the rpms won't raise above 3000 with the pedal all the way to the floor it ain't blinking codes nor is any fuse blown.. 

This happened me before on my 94 seville just finally realize that my clamps at the throttle body loose. Not tightened all the way. Seriously so just check all your clamps on your intake system from the air box back to the throttle body itself. Hopefully that takes care of it