CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Engine turns strong, still won't start

92 STS 4.9 V8 new battery, went to start it the other day, turns strong but won't start, had been starting right up, not out of gas but low fuel light on. It could be a fuel filter or pump. Don't want to pay big $$ to get it towed neither. Trying to find out what it could be to fix my self. Not familiar with Cadillacs, bought this car at a auction. It has almost 200K on it. Not trying to drop loads of $$ in it. Thx for the replies.

I would still put some gas in it first; sometimes the fuel senders were maintenance items and may be out of fuel before the gauge showed empty if so

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

have someone turn key on while you have your head at te filler neck. Listen for pump. if pump works listen for tone

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Buy a fuel pressure gage at Sears and connect it to your fuel rail schrader port to see if you are getting pressure.

I realize that you are trying to do this on the cheap, but keep in mind that doing it yourself will always be cheaper. Is the check engine light on?, are you getting any messages?, and check for DTC codes that have been set, you dont need a scanner, go to www.caddyinfo.com, go to HOW TO, go to DTC CODES and follow the directions for your year, and post codes here

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I remember that on my 85. In the center of the distributor cap

GM FAN FOREVER

I remember that on my 85. In the center of the distributor cap

Yup. Easy to replace, but expensive part for what it is. Went twice on me in the 100,000 miles I had it. The part always picked the worst times to not work and after the second one I kept a spare in the trunk.

we did the same, after the original went, they just werent very good. And are expensive. But thankfully easy to change

GM FAN FOREVER

I would hook the scanner up and check for rpm, if no rpm the computer will not do anything, no rpm no spark no injector paulse = cam or crank sensor. you need special equipment to check a no start problem. unless u just start changing parts. no offence, check fuel pressure as well. good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Didnt they only start making STSs in 2005? Dont think they came with a 4.9L either.

Actually, I think it must be an SLS.

Actually this car is a Seville with the STS trim level (SLS was also a trim level with this model); you are correct that the model STS began in 2005, but his description is also accurate.

And back to the original poster: all good advice, make sure you've got gas (and you might even open the throttle body and add a cap full of gas and see if you get an engine firing condition).

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Archived