CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

TIRES

ROCKnROLL

I think the new caddys come with good year eagles and/or michelins.

I equipped michelin X-ones on my caddy this summer, mainly because michelin tires last and the X-Ones are good performance tires

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

Ok...here we go...I've been running Michelin Pilots and they've been oustanding from a handling perspective. I've run more than one set on more than one type of car, and I'm very impressed all the way around..great handing, great wear, (for relatively "sprited" driving..) and good looking too, from a profile standpoint.

See below...255/50x16..

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

What kind of driving do you do? What conditions do you drive in? You want something for mud and snow? Performance? Do you want something that will last 5 years but wont stick while you push it around those on-ramps?

Personally I upgraded size and type. I went From the 225/60-16's to the 255/50vr16's. No rub on bumps but just a little on full lock of the wheel in u-turns and such. I also went with The Michelin Pilot XGT H4's. $95 a corner on www.tirerack.com then $12 each for mount and ballance at the local shop..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

I love them. But I live in Florida and really like the grip. I also drive fast, corner hard, and stop on a dime. If you want a soft ride... these might not be for you. Have not had them in the snow, I dont know if that helps... MD

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Well, unofrtunately we can't go out and test drive different sets of tires . . . My 2000 SLS came with Goodyear Integrity. These were reasonably grippy in both wet and dry when new, but performance has degraded. I replaced at 32,000 miles with Goodyear Eagle LS. Performance has been good including in this annoying Long Island snow and ice. Substantially quieter than the OEM's. Bought at local Goodyear store (on sale) $115 each.

I've been looking for new rubber as well. Have the Badyear RSA's. Have 50,000k on them so they are gettig thin. Have found then to be pretty good in dry conditions but in wet weather I do not trust them. They have hydroplanned on several ocasions even when they had lots of meat on them. Not too bad in the snow but the FWD will get most of the credit there. Like I said, I have been looking for a while and I am probibly getting the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. A little pricey but you get what you pay for. Got a quote for $1,600 canuck bucks installed. Gona try to get that a little lower. Time to call in some favors.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Howyadoin,

I've been looking at Yokohama Avid Touring P225/60SR16 tires. The price is excellent ($55/ea at tirerack, that + $15 for mount/balance/stem/disposal anywhere else that matches prices), and the reviews I've read are 85-90% positive, which seems like a good ratio. I had Z-rated Dunlop Sport 5000s on my '93 and was happy with them aside from some cupping issues, but my new '96 SLS is limited to 113 mph or so, which is where the S-rated Yokos top out, so it seems like a good fit.

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

Personally I upgraded size and type. I went From the 225/60-16's to the 255/50vr16's. No rub on bumps but just a little on full lock of the wheel in u-turns and such. I also went with The Michelin Pilot XGT H4's. $95 a corner on www.tirerack.com then $12 each for mount and ballance at the local shop..

I have these exact same tires on my car (in stock size). In fact, I'm on my SECOND set of the Michelin Pilots. The first set was mounted at 66k miles and had them on until 104k, when I got a bad pucture and blew out the left rear. I elected at that time to just go ahead and replace the whole set, even though I knew I could have gotten at least another 20k out of them. We originally bought them at Sears, and they gave us a prorate on the remaining 3 that were still good at the time of the second purchase. The car is now up to 127k miles and they're wearing great.

I heard a rumor that they stopped making the Pilot XGT H4 tires...but they still show on the website, so I don't know if that's true. The next time I get tires, I'll pick one from the Pilot line, or I may go with either the Harmony (a softer riding passenger tire) or the new Hydroedge. Anyone mount a set of the 'Edges on their car yet? They look great, but also look like they'd ride pretty harsh.

In any case, Michelin only for me! I wouldn't consider any other brand. B)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

If you are a believer like me that the french did us a lot of harm and stabbed us in the back, then don't buy michelin. That is a french company. I drive a Cadillac for one big reason. Not that it is a great car full of a bunch of luxuries with plenty of power, but it is American! Built here by Americans with all and I repeat all the money staying here in our country and none going to the French who i dispise cause of there undermining of our country. Goodyear makes a good tire and so does Bridgstone. Buy the tires you want but if you feel the way i do and a lot of other Americans do, stay away from michelin. Some people will argue that not buying michelin will hurt some guy in Tennessee who makes them, however I say that buying michelin will hurt some guy here who makes goodyear. But buying goodyear will keep all the money here while buying michelin will send some money back to the miserable good for nothing buy surrendering french. What ever decision you make enjoy your caddy!!

I heard a rumor that they stopped making the Pilot XGT H4 tires...

I have Michelin Pilots as well, but the guy at Merchant's Tire told me that the H4's were being discontinued. So, since I was set on the Pilot's (thanks to you guys here) I went with the stock size Pilots but in the V4's.

I figured on the Concours the higher speed rating couldn't hurt. Very happy with the performance of these tires, but as I saw in someone's response - if you don't like a firmer ride don't pick these tires. They will not give you the traditional

"Cadillac feel".

From what I saw at the Caddy dealer here the other day, most Devilles/Sevilles had Michelin Energy Plus's I think....

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

I drive a Cadillac for one big reason.  Not that it is a great car full of a bunch of luxuries with plenty of power, but it is American!  Built here by Americans with all and I repeat all the money staying here in our country and none going to the French who i dispise cause of there undermining of our country.

Yeah, it's just one big government conspiracy. :rolleyes:

If you believe that by buying a Cadillac, all your money stays here, you're dead wrong. If you believe that by buying ANY auto product simply because it's traditionally an American company, and that all your money stays here, you're wrong. Two words: global economics. The world is much smaller today, and companies have ownership and investments all over the world. GM owns Saab, Volvo I believe, some of Subaru, etc. New Saturn Vues are getting Honda V-6 engines. Not that it's a bad thing -- it's just a global thing!

And guess what? Beloved GM is working with Renault, a French company, to produce trucks! Shows you where your money went... http://www.autofieldguide.com/columns/will/1201euro.html

If you want to boycott French-owned products, fine. But you better make you a long list. You can't ever stay at a Motel 6. It's French-owned. Throw out all your wife's TFal in the kitchen, it's French-owned. Like Yogurt? Can't purchase Yoplait or Dannon. Read Car & Driver? Cancel your subscription today, they're French-owned! Does your wife or daughters buy Lancomme or L'oreal makup? How 'bout DKNY clothes? Are any of your kids' text books published by Houghton Mifflin? Throw it all out!

It's rediculous to me to weave your way in and around all these products simply to "boycott" the French owners. You're correct in saying that it's only hurting American workers. True, if you buy a Michelin tire, you're not supporting a Goodyear worker. But if you buy a Bridgestone tire, you're not supporting a Goodyear worker either. What's the difference, they're all American workers in our backyards! You have a make a choice, and it's certainly your right to purchase what you want to. But I'm going to put my money on the product that I feel is the best product. Goodyear just doesn't make a quality tire like Michelin does. I read the reviews. By and large, Michelin tires are just plain excellent tires (do some research on tirerack.com). I'd love to buy a Goodyear tire, and in the future, if they've brought their quality up on par with Michelin, I'll consider them.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I currently have Bridgestone tires installed. I've had them for many years. They are the touring tire.

Not great for cornering, however the ride and wear are excellent. Very smooth on the road.

I'll be replacing them within a year. I'll be looking at Bridgestone and Michelin.

Definitely NOT Goodyear. I put a set on my Corvette and I don't like them.

I had BFG T/A prior to the Goodyears and they were far superior.

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

I'd love to buy a Goodyear tire, and in the future, if they've brought their quality up on par with Michelin, I'll consider them.

...Ditto that, Jason..

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I have three sets of rims and tires for my 95, I'll proably never wear them out, I bought them all new last year. One set is Whatever touring tires they sell at Pep Boys, Kinda got into that because the car had 2 new ones on it when I bought it and I just matched them. They seem to do quite well no problems and they compare to the Mich. The other set is the Mich. touring. I like these the best except that it is a French owned co. (So I may go Goodyear next time) I also bought a set for my Winter rims BF Goodrich. They work ok, but I'd spring the few extra bucks for a set of the other two as these ones just don't seem to be the quaility as the two previous. I liked the higher sidewall for winter and the price. (Sams Club) But, all in all I would go for the Mich. to be sure. OR talk to someone who has had a set off Goodyears and buy American.

One thing I did notice is that my mileage went down with the BF Goodrich tires, I guess it is the weight? Plus, it rides a little funny and I have a vibration in RR that they say is not from the tires but when I put another set of tires on it goes away.

MC

I'd rather have a set of Flintstones tires on my car than Goodyear. Goodyear tires are just not to good in my book... Dunlop tires aren't that great either. I lost count on how many I've had to replace because of cupping and coming apart and all.. I'd take a set of Michelins over Goodyear's any day... Or Bridgestones.. Sorry Goodyear workers... I want a quality tire for my cars...

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

I have H rated Toyo Proxes on my Seville. They are quiet and they ride nice. They have two big channels in the center for hydro performance. I like them.

post-3-1076804239.jpg

I think I'm going to get a set of Cooper High Perf. H-rated Lifeliner tires.

Taking a trip from Mi. to Fl. next month so I'll give them a good test.

Since I dont go to the track I wouldnt use the Frenchy tires to their limits so I cant see the need for them.

Not only are these Amr. made, I can get them localy and keep the greenbacks in Greenville.

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and I love them. The ride is more harsh than with the original Badyears.

Hey 98Concours what tire pressure do you run your pilots at?

I ran what was specified on the door (I think it was 30 psi) for the first 15000 miles on my Sport A/S but the tire guy at discount tires said that was to low and they were cupping. He actually suggested I replace them with only 15K on them (too much money to do that). Anyway I increased the pressure to between 38 - 40 psi on the front and 35 for the rear. The ride quality actually impoved with the higher pressure (thought that was strange).

For this less than stellar winter here in Northern New Jersey I've been using a set of 4 Dunlop Graspic-1 tires on my '92 Seville SLS and I absolutely love them. 225/60R16.

I got the car with Michelins but I think once they are worn down I'll be looking at Dunlop tires as my summer tire. Just not sure yet, which one but it's got to be a really "grabby" tire, these Michelins are flaky and sometimes scary, especially in the rain.

As for the tire pressure I use, the placcard says 28 front and 26 rear but at those pressures the tires seem to wander too much so I add 4 pounds so I'm running 32 front and 30 rear and I'm getting better traction, no wandering and a good ride.

:rolleyes:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

If you are a believer like me that the french did us a lot of harm and stabbed us in the back, then don't buy michelin.  That is a french company.  I drive a Cadillac for one big reason.  Not that it is a great car full of a bunch of luxuries with plenty of power, but it is American!  Built here by Americans with all and I repeat all the money staying here in our country and none going to the French who i dispise cause of there undermining of our country.  Goodyear makes a good tire and so does Bridgstone.  Buy the tires you want but if you feel the way i do and a lot of other Americans do, stay away from michelin.  Some people will argue that not buying michelin will hurt some guy in Tennessee who makes them, however I say that buying michelin will hurt some guy here who makes goodyear.  But buying goodyear will keep all the money here while buying michelin will send some money back to the miserable good for nothing buy surrendering french.  What ever decision you make enjoy your caddy!!

Just as a matter of information, Cadillac was named after a French Military General... <_>

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived