CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cracked Coolant tank

CarlaValentine

My check coolant level message came on today. The coolant wasn't very low, but I added to it anyway. In the process of course I looked for leaks. The only thing I found was this: (forgive the less-than-stellar pic. I only had my cell phone)

121910135614.jpg

This appears to be coming from the bottom of the tank (at the top left). I checked the hose on the back and there are no signs of wetness. I am assuming this is a barely seeping leak, as it has not run hot at all. Before I go ahead and order a new tank, I was wondering if there is anything else I should check that could POSSIBLY leak there? And since it isn't overheating, so long as I keep the coolant topped off, should there be an issue with driving it until I get it fixed?

big4870885.jpg

.... And since it isn't overheating, so long as I keep the coolant topped off, should there be an issue with driving it until I get it fixed?

I don't see any problem with that. I nursed a small leak for more than a year until it finally became a large leak.

Be careful about the "topped off" level if your pressure cap is on the reservoir. The FULL COLD mark is the proper coolant level that provides space for expansion.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

It could be the radiator cap. Also, there are two hoses on the surge tank and either or both could have cracks under the hose clamps. The factory hose clamps are the circle-with-ears springs which are fine even with old hoses as long as they aren't touched, but when the hose gets hard and then something moves the hose, they often seep. I use the screwdriver-closed stainless steel hose clamps.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Here it is for $68.27 plus shipping, eligible for free shipping with Amazon Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-19129961-Radiator-Surge-Tank/dp/B0013FW8KQ/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=Eldorado|408&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Cadillac|46&Year=1994|1994&carId=003

This assumes that your Eldorado is the base model. If it's the ETC then use the selection of make, model, and trim to find the right part. Then, search Amazon with the part number to select the vendor with the best price.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Thanks guys. JimD, I never fill it when it's hot. Ever. I checked all hoses and the cap and none of them show any signs at all of leaking. The ONLY wet spot is that in the picture, right below the front mounting bolt on the tank. I'll keep an eye on my coolant loss and make sure to keep it topped off, as it will have to wait until after Christmas to be replaced. Thank you for the link for the part. I have an existing Amazon account so that should work out well. smile.gif

big4870885.jpg

carla i have a extra tank thats in good shape,i took it out of the eldo,as the white seville allready has one in it,i could send it to u if u want,u just pay the shipping and i will give it to u,,i bought it new about a year ago,paid around 70,,steve

That is cool Steve, see that is what this forum is about, people helping people, Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

According to Rock Auto, the part number for the 1994 Eldorado coolant recovery tank is 19129961, and the cars that it will fit are:

CADILLAC DEVILLE (1996 - 1999)

CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS (1994 - 1995)

CADILLAC DEVILLE DELEGANCE 1997

CADILLAC ELDORADO (1994 - 2000)

CADILLAC ELDORADO ESC (2001 - 2002)

CADILLAC ELDORADO SPORT 1993

CADILLAC SEVILLE 1993

CADILLAC SEVILLE SLS (1994 - 1997)

CADILLA CSEVILLE STS 1993

carla i have a extra tank thats in good shape,i took it out of the eldo,as the white seville allready has one in it,i could send it to u if u want,u just pay the shipping and i will give it to u,,i bought it new about a year ago,paid around 70,,steve

That would be absolutely AWESOME of you! I'll have to wait until after Christmas though. I'd be lucky if I have a dollar to my name right now. Lol. How would I get the shipping to you? I've never payed reverse shipping for anything, so I don't have a clue. :blink:

big4870885.jpg

When Steve ships it, he will find out what the shipping cost is, you can send him a money order, check or send money to his paypal, etc after the fact, its not going to cost that much to ship.

Steve and I have worked together and I know Carla well enough that she will take care of you Steve.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thanks Mike!

Steve, I'll get hold of you the beginning of next week. If you can, find out what shipping will cost and I'll get a money order sent out then. You have NO idea how much I appreciate it!

big4870885.jpg

no worries,just like mike said it wont cost much to send,maybe 5 to 10$,just pm me carla or email me and give me your adress,i will send it and i will have them post the shipping charges on the box,so when u get on your feet just send the shipping money,the money is not a issue,i would hate to see u over heat and lead to something else,its in a box ready to go!steve

Thanks Steve!

Thank you so much Steve! I was sitting here trying to figure out how I could wring the 70$ for a new one, and with my car insurance and utility bill due next week it wasn't gonna happen. You are a life saver! I'll send you my address after I post this. The car hasn't overheated...yet. Just because it HASN'T doesn't mean it WON'T and I'd definitely like to have it replaced before that happens. It seems to be a steady leak now. I've had to add a half gallon to it since I first started this topic a few days ago. Amazingly it's still not running hot at all. You would think having a leak would keep the system from pressurizing properly and cause it to run hot, but it hasn't run above 212 degrees, which is perfectly normal for MY car.

big4870885.jpg

Thank you so much Steve! I was sitting here trying to figure out how I could wring the 70$ for a new one, and with my car insurance and utility bill due next week it wasn't gonna happen. You are a life saver! I'll send you my address after I post this. The car hasn't overheated...yet. Just because it HASN'T doesn't mean it WON'T and I'd definitely like to have it replaced before that happens. It seems to be a steady leak now. I've had to add a half gallon to it since I first started this topic a few days ago. Amazingly it's still not running hot at all. You would think having a leak would keep the system from pressurizing properly and cause it to run hot, but it hasn't run above 212 degrees, which is perfectly normal for MY car.

Pressurizing does not make it run cooler but rather increases the boiling point. On the other hand, if the leak empties the cooling system enough, the latter will not be able to cool down the engine; as a result, the temps will rise quickly, hit boiling point under normal atmospheric pressure and make the boiling coolant escape the system quite violently.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Pressurizing does not make it run cooler but rather increases the boiling point. On the other hand, if the leak empties the cooling system enough, the latter will not be able to cool down the engine; as a result, the temps will rise quickly, hit boiling point under normal atmospheric pressure and make the boiling coolant escape the system quite violently.

Thanks. I did know that, I just didn't feel like typing it all out. Lol.

big4870885.jpg

Awesome Steve. Thank you so much!!!

I had a question for you. Have you parted ways with the Eldo yet? My boyfriend hit a turkey about a month ago, and my grill took quite a beating as a result. Would there be any chance I could buy the grill from your Eldo? If so, name a price and I'll pay plus shipping costs (I know shipping won't likely be cheap). The cheapest one I have been able to find is over 100$ plus shipping... I don't need the hood latch or anything else, JUST the grill. Here's how mine looks now:

73664_1717168807813_1196038325_1972301_6461917_n.jpg

What you don't see in the pic is that there is a crack that goes all the way across it, and the emblem took a hike as well. :(

big4870885.jpg

Wow, what a hit! I hope that you got to keep the turkey, perhaps for Thanksgiving.

The paint seems to have weathered the storm. I would make an effort to find a "paintless repair" type of straightening service for that one. Then, with a replacement grille, you are done.

that sucks carla,i had the eldo junked a couple days ago,and the funny thing is the grill was still good on the car,did u check on ebay?we have alot of good junk yards around here,and there cheap,i will look around for u,,a 100$ is alittle high,i remeber geting one for my 93 seville for 40$ down the street,just give me a couple days to check,,steve

that sucks carla,i had the eldo junked a couple days ago,and the funny thing is the grill was still good on the car,did u check on ebay?we have alot of good junk yards around here,and there cheap,i will look around for u,,a 100$ is alittle high,i remeber geting one for my 93 seville for 40$ down the street,just give me a couple days to check,,steve

I have looked on e-bay, but haven't found anything of reasonable price. Don't worry about looking around. You have enough to do with getting your new Caddy up and running. I'll re-check the local junkyard when I get a chance. Last time I was there they only had one and it was in worse shape than mine. They get a lot of cars in though, so I'm sure something will turn up eventually.

Jim, we didn't get to keep the turkey. He was driving at 65mph on the highway when he hit it (more appropriately, IT hit HIM) so the turkey pretty much exploded....at least the heritage of ownership badge stayed on!

I do hope to get the dent out without hurting the paint job. There is VERY little cosmetically wrong with the car...that dent being one of them. Aside from that there is ONE scratch by the gas door, the chrome bumper strip that goes under the grill is missing (mysteriously disappeared one night..), and the cloth top doesn't seem to have taken well to the winter last year. When I get my taxes back I am getting the cloth top replaced (in black, it's currently tan), the sunroof re-sealed, and that scratch repaired for a TOTAL of about 400$. I can't friggin wait!! Before and after pics WILL be posted when I get it all done.:D

big4870885.jpg

Carla: If you park outside, you will find your car takes winter weather a whole lot better if you use a car cover. These have the added advantage of throwing off the snow when you take them off, so your scraper and brush will have a lot less use. JC Whitney has a bargain one for the Eldorado for $41.

Archived