CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cracked Coolant tank

CarlaValentine

Good to know Jim.

On another topic entirely...is the serpentine belt on this as much of a PITA to change as it looks like it will be? Just noticed this afternoon that mine is split right down the middle into 2 pieces...I have no idea how it split. It's only 2 years old. But it definitely needs a new one now, and changing it looks like it will be a nightmare.:o

big4870885.jpg

Carla: Actually it's pretty simple. There is a square hole in the spring-loaded arm that holds the idler wheel for a breaker bar or ratchet wrench. Use that to release the tension on the belt and it slips right off - or on.

I don't need to tell *you* but, be sure and have a routing diagram on how it fits around al the pulleys before you take the old one off.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I suspect that "scott f" speaks as the voice of recent experience. In any case I thoroughly agree.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I've made the mistake of NOT noting how the belt came off one of my older cars before trying to put the new one on. It took a lot of frustration and curse words, but I DID manage to get it on...eventually. I won't make THAT mistake ever again. I have it scheduled to have an inspection done tomorrow at 1, so I should probably get a new one on it before then...assuming the parts store has it in stock.

big4870885.jpg

Here's what I got from Rock Auto for the 1994 Eldorado (VIN "Y"):

DAYCO Part # 5060835 More Information About this Part Serpentine Belt; Exceeds OE Specifications Effective Length 83.50 / Top Width .82 / No of Ribs 6 / Thickness 0.169 Multiple Accessory

$23.79

GOODYEAR Part # 4060835 More Information About this Part 6 Ribs / Effective Length 83.5" / Outside Length 84.25" Poly-V; Accessory Drive

$24.79

GATES Part # K060837 More Information About this Part Micro-V AT Premium OE V-Ribbed Belt; K06 13/16" x 84 1/4"

$25.79

ACDELCO Part # 6K837 More Information About this Part {#88932760} K06 13/16" x 84 1/4"

BELT,SERPENTINE 2 DOORS; w/4.6-9/S(L37)

$29.79

All three parts also contained this text when copied to NotePad:

[Flag indicates this part fits vehicles manufactured for the US Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.] [Flag indicates this part fits vehicles manufactured for the Canadian Market. It does not indicate where the part was made -- manufacturers produce parts in multiple factories worldwide.]

A search on the AC/Delco part number on Amazon produces a similar line-up of belts, beginning with the AC/Delco part at $33.86 (with free shipping for Prime; it may show a lower price for those without Prime).

IN SUMMARY, the belt is 84 1/4" outside length, 84 1/2" effective length, six ribs, 0.82" wide, 0.169" thick, and you should expect to pay between $25 and $30 for it, plus tax.

Thanks Jim. They have a Dayco belt for 22$ at the parts store nearby. I've always used Dayco in the past and have NEVER had a problem with them. As a note, the one that's on it that broke, is not Dayco. It has no name on it.

Am I the only person on here who only seems to have car trouble in the winter? The ONLY problem I had in warm weather was the coil packs..and those were easy. Now I ALSO (as if the coolant tank and belt just weren't enough) have a random no start condition. I'm going out shortly to do some troubleshooting. If I can't figure it out, I will start a new thread on here....

big4870885.jpg

I have almost no trouble with my car, a 1997 ETC (uh, like my Caddyinfo user name!). I attribute that to

• I park the car in a garage with the door closed when I'm not home. The garage isn't heated, but its temperature usually splits the difference between the house temperature and the outside temperature, about 1/3 of the way from the outside temperature. It practically never freezes overnight, and any ice or salt under the car melts and the bottom of the car dries.
  • I almost never park the car in the hot sun for long periods of time anymore.
  • I only drive it about 8,000 miles a year these days.
  • The engine and just about everything that bolts to it really dates to July 2006 and has only about 32,000 miles on it.
  • The roads around here aren't the best but they are OK. The car doesn't see any real abuse by large potholes or road debris.
  • Luck.

I'm still looking at the inevitable mileage-driven and age-driven things, like struts and suspension ball joints, but the transmission seems as solid as ever. Another inscrutable and illogical poitn is that I have always had really good luck with my cars, with the exception of a 1952 Henry J I had in high school, but it had been trashed before I got it; I eventually made a fairly decent car out of it by putting in an overdrive transmission, a new engine, etc. etc. etc. but we never did solve pre-existing frame damage in the right front. What was left did not provide sufficient support for the right front wheel at the rear anchor for the lower A-frame.

Unfortunately, I live in an apartment and don't have a garage available to park in, so it sleeps in the driveway. I understand I AM driving a 17 year old car with over 167k miles on it, just over 25k I have put on it in the last year...and as such, the car WILL have some issues. I don't have a problem with replacing and fixing things at all, but I DO have a problem with doing it when it is 10 degrees outside at best! Lol. I just find it odd that the only real trouble it has given me has been in the cold winter months.

I was unable to find the cause of the no-start issue, so I started a new thread. Here's the link: http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=34957

big4870885.jpg

Good to know Jim.

On another topic entirely...is the serpentine belt on this as much of a PITA to change as it looks like it will be? Just noticed this afternoon that mine is split right down the middle into 2 pieces...I have no idea how it split. It's only 2 years old. But it definitely needs a new one now, and changing it looks like it will be a nightmare.:o

It is not bad at all - a little cramped but it shouldn't take more than a few minutes. Use a 3/8" piece of tubing about 2-feet long with about 3/4" bent at 90 degrees as a tool to guide the belt over the pulleys. Verify the belt is properly seated in all of the grooved pulleys before starting the engine.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived