CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Radio just stopped working?

mike33

Anybody ever have their car stereo just suddenly not turn on anymore? I still have clock. This is the highest end stereo avail that came with my 2002 Deville DHS. Any thoughts on where to start would be great.

Thanks in advance, Mike

I have the top-end radio for the 1997 model year. DSP, Bose, etc. Out of the showroom it had poor sensitivity on both AM and FM. A few months later it went silent. No off-on response, but clock and OnStar worked OK. The dealer replaced it with a remanufactured unit under warranty. The replacement radio has been fine ever since.

At the time I wasn't knowledgeable to run the codes so I didn't know anything about what was up internally. Your car is seasoned so I doubt that my experience is at all applicable. I suggest that you run the OBD codes and post them here. Other than that, I suggest that you check the fuses and replace any bad ones before you run the codes.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Yep had that happen before, I would think the fuse must have went but would notice if I turned it on and off though the radio would not come on the antenea would go up and down. Then I would restart the car after stopping and the radio would work. No clue why, just figured it was one of those Caddy quirks it has happened maybe 3or 4 times in the 5 years I owned it.

We have two people here with radio problems, one with a 2002 Eldorado and one with a 2000 Deville DHS.

For each of you, please run your OBD codes and post them here. The on-board diagnostics (OBD) system built into your Cadillac, accessible through your A/C controls and Driver Information Center (DIC), plus the experience of Caddyinfo people, an amazing amount of expertise is brought to bear on your problem. Without the codes, nobody can tell that much from a bulletin board post.

I'll address the 2002 Eldorado first since that one started the thread. I don't have a 2002 FSM but I believe that your radio system is similar to the Bose system for the 1997 model year, but with satellite radio capability. There are two fuses in the trunk compartment fuse block: the RADIO/PHONE fuse (10 Amp) is for the integrated radio chassis (IRC), which is in the dashboard. The 12 CD changer runs from the COMFORT fuse (10 Amp). The Radio Interface Module (RIM) rear of the car behind the back seat and runs from the RADIO/PHONE fuse. The speakers run from the AMP fuse (30 Amp) in the trunk compartment fuse block and the LEFT and RIGHT DELCO-BOSE relays in the trunk compartment relay center #3. Note that there are two 30 Amp fuses for the AMP (the radio audio amplifier), one for the active system, where the power amplifier is behind the seats, and a separate one for the Bose system, which powers the relays that switch power to the speakers, which have the power amplifiers built into the Bose speakers on the doors. There are a lot of other things on both the RADIO/PHONE and COMFORT fuses so I would look at the AMP fuse first unless a lot of things were not working.

The 2000 Deville DHS has an intermittent problem that rarely manifests itself. These are often hard to find because it's hard to troubleshoot something that isn't giving trouble at the time you are looking at it. What I can say is that the radio controls in the dashboard control the antenna while the RIM in the trunk drives the speakers.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Thanks all for the excellent information and responses. All it ended up requiring was a disconnect of the negative battery cable. Radio functions 100% now!

On a different subject... JASON DTS 2002 if you are reading this, I received your e-mail concerning the rear shock replacement. I responded with my # to explain how I replaced the rear shocks and air lines last year (also posted on this website) Were you successful with your repair, or do you need further assistance?

Thanks All, Mike

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember having problems with my radio on my 94 Concours. I had some unrelated work done on it and when I got it back the radio worked. I thanked him for fixing the radio too, but he said he never touched the radio and just unhooked the battery to do the other work. I found out later that these radio memories have to be cancelled occasionally. So anytime you have any radio problems just unhook the battery to clear the radios memory.

• 8 years later...

Welcome to CaddyInfo.

Just a FYI I am pretty sure yours is the last generation of a normal radio that is not powered by datalink.

Did the antenna quit working at the same time as the radio?

I ask this because it could easily be not related to the radio issue but with the antenna itself.

So to clarify you have display. What does it display currently?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 1 month later...

I have an '07 CTS that the radio and full display went out; clock, temperature, the "information", etc.. totally black. I have replaced the fuse under the back seat and just now disconnected the negative battery cable. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check next?

There are two fuses in the rear fuse block.  After you try rockfangd's solution, which will restart any modules that have locked up, you can look for a 10 Amp AUDIO fuse and a 30 Amp AMP fuse.  Since the whole radio went black, the 10 Amp fuse is the first one I would look at.

If you have OnStar, push the black button and ask the lady to read you the OBD codes and write them down and post them here.  You can ask her to email them to you, which might be simpler and avoid an error in writing them down.

If you don't have OnStar, find and Autozone near you and ask them to read your OBD codes for you.

Look at the sticker on the underside of your spare tire compartment cover and write down the RPO codes related to your radio.  I would take a cell phone photo of that sticker, which has all your RPO codes, paint numbers, etc., and keep that photo on my computer for reference.  The radio codes for the 2007 CTS are (this list may not be totally complete because I just now picked it out of the FSM):

UAV    Infotainment System 005.1
U2J    Digital Audio System S-Band, Not Installed
U2K    Digital Audio System S-Band
U2R    Infotainment System 001
U2S    Infotainment System 002
U2X    Infotainment System 007
U2Y    Infotainment System 008
U57    Speaker System 8, Dual F/D Pillar, Dual FRT DR MTD, Dual RR DR MTD, Subwoof PKG Shelf, I/P CTR, Amplif, Bose
U66    Speaker System 7, Custom

We will need that information to get the right schematics in the factory shop manual (FSM).

If you have a Volt/Ohm meter, you can check for power at the radio and a good ground.  Power to the radio is through the RD/WH wire, ground is through the BK/WH wire.  If you have premium audo (Bose, probably) you have the 30 Amp AMP fuse with power directly to the power amp on the RD/BK wire.

If there is more than a small fraction of an Ohm resistance from the BK/WH wire to chassis, check ground G402, which is In the rear compartment, to the rear of the left rear shock tower, below audio AMP.

• 1 year later...

There are two fuses to check:  Under hood fuse block, fuse 42 RDO, 15 Amp, and the instrument panel fuse block fuse RSE, 5 Amp.  Going farther than that needs more information.  Does your nav system or anything else on the front seat screen come on?  Any other details will help.

The best thing to do is to go by an Autozone or other outfit that will read out your OBD codes and give them to you, then post them here.

• 2 months later...

Im having the same issue as jim27... everything blacked out i changed the fuse and everything came back on and as i was driving i hit a bump and my whole center stack blacked out my gas and temp gauges and my speedometer dropped after shifting into park the car wouldnt shift out of park the key wouldnt come out of the ignition the door unlock buttons wouldnt work and the trunk wouldnt pop. After about 45 mins of googling i pulled the fuse back out and the doors and trunk popped and everything went back to normal other than the radio. Git new fuses thinking it was the type of fuse i used and still no radio. Any idea of what it my be. 

both the radio and the 30amp fuse are good

I would start with making sure all the fuses are good, then disconnecting the battery for a minute or two.  After driving the car for a day or two to let everthing relearn, go to Autozone or other outfit that will read your OBD II codes if you are still having problems.  Please post the OBD II codes here.  The codes will likely tell what is not working or getting power.

• 6 months later...

I have a 2001 cadillac deville dhs. Just bought it.  New battery and new tires and oil change done prior to pick up.  

If someone sits in my back seat,  the display gets wonky. Everything is lit up,  but it doesn't show the info for the displays.  The gas guage falls to empty,  The radio stops working,  and the windows won't go up or down.  

After all of this happened,  sometime sat in the back seat again and it all went back to normal.  Then I put my knee on the seat behind the drivers seat and it did it again.  The first time the top was off of the fuse box,  but I put it back on,  so I am not sure what could be wrong with it that it is intermittently working/ not working. 

I understand fuses,  but nothing about pins and ports to check connections (I work in accounting,  so no major car knowledge here).

Check the battery terminals. May be loose.

Check ground connections under there as well. 

Check the underside of the fuse box to make sure there are no corroded wires

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

When you have made the checks that rockfangd recommends, you have looked at the essentials.  If fixing battery, ground, and fuse box connections is all you need, great, you are done.

My FSM DVD goes back to 2002 but not to 2001.  I'm going to assume that the electrical distribution is the same for the Deville in the 2001 and 2002 model years.

If the problem is still there, it is likely a cracked fuse (looks OK and works sometimes).  In the rear fuse block, the 10 Amp IGN 1 fuse, if cracked, can cause difficulties with the gauges and radio.  Other fuses include 10 Amp INT LP fuse and 30 Amp AUDIO AMP fuse.

The FSM drawing of the area under the rear seat on the passenger side is attached.  The legend for the numbers is:

(1) Battery Positive Terminal
(2) Battery Negative Terminal
(3) G300
(4) SP300
(5) G301 (SP301)
(6) Fuse Block-Rear
(7) S322 (w/V4U) (Limo)
(8) S323 (w/B9Q) (Hearse)
(9) SP308
(10) SP307

The points labeled SPnnn are splice junctions, or wiring junctions.  The Snnn are simple splices, and the only ones in this diagram, (7) and (8), are commercial vehicles, certainly not the DHS.  The Gnnn points are grounds.

2002_Deville_Right_Rear_Passenger_Compartment_Under_Seat.png