CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

trunk lid pulldown - fix or mod?

The trunk lid pulldown motor on my '97 seville STS is shot. For now, it's jerry-rigged into a fixed position, but I'm trying to decide what to do about it.

- If I fix it: is it more likely to be the motor ($70-80 part) or the connection? How do I diagnose it?

- Is it feasible to ditch the pulldown altogether, and swap in a conventional latch? If so, what part should I swap in?

Any suggestions appreciated - first forum appearance! ;)

Welcome to Caddyinfo.

I've seen other problems like this on the forum. I think there's a screw you can turn so that the lid closes fully, and it should work like that without putting in a different latch. Hopefully someone will help you diagnose the problem, but if you do decide to purchase a new one, www.rockauto.com has nice prices on parts, and there's a link to save 5% at the bottom of my message here.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Rarely does the motor go bad - it is most likely one of the switches or a broken wire.

Most of the time, the upper latch switch goes bad - a $15.00 part at the stealership's parts counter. In some cases, the lower switch goes bad. Other times, there is an open (break) in one of the wires that runs along the deck lid hinge.

If you have an ohm meter, unplug the upper latch switch and check for continuity (zero resistance) in one switch position and zero ohms in the other switch position. If you do not have continuity with the switch in the closed position, the switch is bad.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Have you checked the fuse for it to be sure it isn't blown?

Yes, that was the first check. Fuses are all good. Need to get a multimeter so I can check the connections.

I'd as soon ditch the feature altogether, though; even when it works, it's gilding the lily a bit. <_<

What is it doing, or not doing? Completely dead?

Completely dead. If I unlatch it, the bottom (motorized) part will drop down lower and leave nothing to hook onto. I'm leaving it closed for now.

The trunk lid pulldown motor on my '97 seville STS is shot. For now, it's jerry-rigged into a fixed position, but I'm trying to decide what to do about it.

- If I fix it: is it more likely to be the motor ($70-80 part) or the connection? How do I diagnose it?

- Is it feasible to ditch the pulldown altogether, and swap in a conventional latch? If so, what part should I swap in?

Any suggestions appreciated - first forum appearance! ;)

Not sure if they are the same but if its the same pull down as a fleetwood I can get em for about $32 plus shipping, thats the whole motor and gear part that is on the trunk not trunk lid. That is IF thats your problem. Alot of times the gears strip because there was snow or ice holding the trunk shut while you popped it or someone slammed it shut too hard.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Try a scrap yard, I saw about 6 still installed in junked cars last week

Also listen to KHE, there is a $20 switch that you can replace that is the cause. My closer behaved like yours, I replaced the switch and it solved the problem

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Mine doesn't work either. Neither does my power antenna and they are both on the same fuse (which isn't bad, I already tried replacing it). On my pull-down latch in the trunk there are bolts that can be loosened to adjust the height of the latch. When mine quit working, I just used the bolts to adjust it to where the trunk will still close and latch. It also still opens with the button in the glove box.

I will eventually get around to tracking down the cause of why they aren't working, but for now I found a temporary solution. I have bigger issues to resolve right now in my car. Just thought I'd offer my input.

big4870885.jpg

What is it doing, or not doing? Completely dead?

Completely dead. If I unlatch it, the bottom (motorized) part will drop down lower and leave nothing to hook onto. I'm leaving it closed for now.

That sounds like something is broken as opposed to a switch or fuse to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey CoupeDTS where is that place that you can get the whole thing for $32 plus Shipping and handling? Mine is also acting up. When I close the trunk it just stays there. If I wiggle the trunk it works its way down as I giggle it.

• 2 years later...

I have a good used one but honestly I have never had one break. I better knock on wood now lol.

But sometimes they do break when they are pried or something gets shut in the trunk and it cannot pull down completely, or if someone slams the trunk. I do not let anyone touch my trunk for that reason. probably why I have never had a problem.

Me personally I would fix it right. used ones are a plentiful and it is not bad to replace. Good luck to you and Welcome to caddyinfo. remember if you ever have any questions or anything you are unsure of we live here :hatsoff:

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

my trunk is also messed up on my 1993 Brougham. I will also try your tips thanks alot guys.

First time poster.

Definitely check the wires where they follow the deck lid hinge. Several years ago, one of the ground wires broke where the hinge pivots and my pulldown quit working. It was an easy fix to repair the wire.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived