CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

what were the cadillac designers thinking?

davedog

I currently am on my second car, and my second cadillac. I am totally hooked and will never buy anything else.

These cars have every feature imaginable, but it seems to me that they have left out one very important feature in both caddies I have owned thus far:

CUP HOLDERS!!!

Is this a forgotton feature on all caddies? Why leave it out of any car?

Now don't get my wrong, I love my 92 eldo, but seriuosly,

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? :blink:

-signed,

-a driver very sick of holding drinks between my legs. :D

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

I think the thoughtful engineers were trying to say:

KEEP BOTH HANDS ON THE STEERING WHEEL!!!!!!! :angry:

:D

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I think the engineers were saying "Where can we fit in some cupholders?" Then quickly gave up. This is VERY obvious when the two that they DID install on the '99 won't hold a cup level or keep it steady. And why would you put 2 perfectly useless trip meters in the dash? When ONE that went to thousands of miles would have been much smarter and infinitely more useful!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

The Sevilles got better cupholders in 93+. The cupholders on my CTS work great.

The next luxury thing apparently though is heated/cooled cupholders.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I got an idea that the engineers can bounce around inside their three dimensional minds....

How about a steering wheel that is heated in the winter and cooled in the summer.....

Could work you know....

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Delphi has a heated steering wheel ready, but I don't know of any GM applications http://www.delphi.com/pdf/commercial/HtdSteeringWhl.pdf

I see Audi has a heated steering wheel, but it occasionally overheats http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/232358.phtml so that's probably a bad example.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Nissan/Infinity has a heated steering wheel too.

I hate my cupholders too. Whenever I drive around a corner, I have to hold on to my drink, even at slow speeds. No worries though, with an auto, you can easily enough hold on to your drink with the right hand. :D

-Chris

I think a heated steering wheel would be a plus when offered with a winter package.

What about a steering wheel that's cooled in the summer too????

Delphi has a heated steering wheel ready, but I don't know of any GM applications

A heated steering wheel is optional on the 2004 DeVille and standard on the DHS and DTS models.

Davedog,

I installed a armrest cover from a 94 STS in my eldo just to get the cupholders. A very easy install if you can find one in good condition that matches your interior. It wasn't too hard for me considering my interior has 200K miles on it. Just remove a couple phillips head screws. Only thing you lose is the storage you currently have in the upper portion of your armrest. Hope this helps in you quest to stop holding your drinks with your lap. :D

Millwright71

Lets see...your car was designed during the late '80s. Cupholders were unheard of then. '93 models have cupholders in the armrest. Just find one of those...

My '94 Eldo looks just like Davedog's except it isn't as straight, or as clean, and it doesn't have those cool wheels. It does, however have dual cup holders which slide out of the front of the armrest.

It is a clever contraption but not a very good design. The drawer-like opening from which the holder extends leaves the upper front edge of the armrest so weakened that, by now, many of them have been broken from being leaned on. Another problem I have is it holds the cups so that they are in the way of my right arm which is trying to rest on the armrest and steer the car at the same time.

The designers did have the wisdom to provide a back-up cup holder in the form of a rectangular recess in the top of the console just aft of the shifter and forward of the armrest. This is located low enough so the top of my cup is below my right arm when resting on the armrest and in a position where it is easy to steady with my right hand when necessary.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

My 95 etc has the console cupholder extension too, which I am glad to have ... although it is really in the way 'cause it is so high - interfers with the right arm/elbow when in use .... I had a Dentist neighbor in the late 90's who bought his etc new, (can you imagine) and his later vintage etc had it's cup holder, not as a forward extention of the armrest, but below the armrest in the console .... (if my memory serves!!). So, look for something-after-95-etc if you want the really good cup holders.

If you just want, kick-*smurf* power, out of a superbly engineered powertrain, then, don't sweat the small stuff. A 90 something northstar will probably be the best bang for the buck you will see in a long while.

My not-the-best cupholders have seen an honest 125 mph. Could have been a good deal more, but the nearly abandoned 2 lane in Utah was too narrow to glance down to the speedometer beyond that. Funny how narrow it became as I progressed.

:ph34r:

Ya, the interior redesign in 1996 produced a really nice center console, complete with two covered cup holders underneath a rotating "leather" cover (it's really vinyl). They even have foam "fingers" inside the holes to hold anything you have in there steady. The whole cupholder assembly unscrews easily from the console and may be able to be retrofitted into your Eldorados. Do you have the full center console?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Judging from photos, the '96 and later Eldo/Seville armrest is a little longer, too. The pre-'96 armrests are not quite long enough to rest my elbow on comfortably while holding the steering wheel with my right hand.

I know, picky, picky. I still love the car!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Archived