CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Jobs...

JasonA

I am a new member and I want to say Hi to everybody.

Please excuse my English, I came to US in 1996 from Moldova (one of republic of former Soviet Union).

I am a programmer, work for the City of New York.

Before that I worked in a different plants, but in most cases with some kind of electronic equipment (I have BS like engineer in electric power distribution area, but I always was interested to work with electronic schemes, creating electronic devices and so on). I worked in a chemical plant also. Too much to tell.

My wife goes to the college (she has already BS in psychology) to get BS in accounting and works at the same time in same building with me.

When I got home after work I playing computer games, watching "Discovery", “History channel” or something else.

Bought my STS 94 in July, 1998 with 47,5K miles on it.

Now it has 69K. That my first car and I like it despite of some issues.\

P.S. Forgot to tell: assembling pc for my friends is one of my favorit hobbies.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the board! Looks like we have a few computer hobbyists here (including myself to a lesser extent). I did that as a high school student a while ago. I had a summer job at a company and one of my big projects one summer was converting all their X86-based machines from 486 to pentium, including a new motherboard, etc. Yeah, it was a while ago. ;)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Please excuse my English, I came to US in 1996 from Moldova (one of republic of former Soviet Union).

I am a programmer, work for the City of New York.

Before that I worked in a different plants, but in most cases with some kind of electronic equipment (I have BS like engineer in electric power distribution area, but I always was interested to work with electronic schemes, creating electronic devices and so on). I worked in a chemical plant also. Too much to tell.

My wife goes to the college (she has already BS in psychology) to get BS in accounting and works at the same time in same building with me.

When I got home after work I playing computer games, watching "Discovery", “History channel” or something else.

Bought my STS 94 in July, 1998 with 47,5K miles on it.

Now it has 69K. That my first car and I like it despite of some issues.\

P.S. Forgot to tell: assembling pc for my friends is one of my favorit hobbies.

Welcome to the USA and to the Caddyinfo.com forum. You'll find everyone here is fun loving and serious about their cars. Hope you enjoy it here.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I had a summer job at a company and one of my big projects one summer was converting all their X86-based machines from 486 to pentium, including a new motherboard, etc. Yeah, it was a while ago. ;)

Thanks to all.

I know this is not a computer forum, so forgive me...

I remember my first computer (8 bit CPU), which I WIRED using thin wire with Teflon isolation (of course all chips were soldered manually to the plate before). That happened in 1985, I guess. Later I soldered some other computers using CPU Z-8 (I’m not sure I remember exact CPU name), I remember these computers were analog to Spectrum (64K memory!).

Now I'm fighting with the sensor' wires. B)

My hobbies include photography, cars and marksmanship. I also like to fish (river preferably) and hunting. I don't count house work (you know ... da' honey do list...) as a hobby, but I do find myself doing a lot of it.

Jim

We share hobbies. I'm into photography, cars and pistol shooting.

(don't get scared, guys) :lol:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I'd like to rebuild my cadillac from the ground up, maybe ditch all the computers and integrate a U1 rack mount server to take its place.. running linux, wireless access to tweak the parameters.. stuff like that

There was recently a tweeked mercedes benz on tech TV that was running a server and all sorts of other stuff. Pretty interesting.

My hobbies include photography, cars and marksmanship.  I also like to fish (river preferably) and hunting.  I don't count house work (you know ... da' honey do list...) as a hobby, but I do find myself doing a lot of it.

Jim

(don't get scared, guys) :lol:

Marika,

What dicipline do you shoot? I shot "Practical pistol" competition for years til I got burned out. It was the most fun I've had shooting since Viet Nam :lol:

I shoot combat and target. It's getting harder and harder to find a place to shoot here in Northern New Jersey. The range I shot at, which was nicknamed "Cambodia in the summer" closed and the other closest one to me is a bit small and too well lit.

Larry Grandolfo Posted on Jul 13 2004, 04:32 PM

QUOTE (Marika @ Jul 13 2004, 05:44 PM)

QUOTE (tjtjwdad @ Jun 26 2004, 02:10 PM)

My hobbies include photography, cars and marksmanship.  I also like to fish (river preferably) and hunting.  I don't count house work (you know ... da' honey do list...) as a hobby, but I do find myself doing a lot of it.

Jim 

(don't get scared, guys) 

Marika,

What dicipline do you shoot? I shot "Practical pistol" competition for years til I got burned out. It was the most fun I've had shooting since Viet Nam 

Marika Posted on Jul 14 2004, 01:33 AM

I shoot combat and target. It's getting harder and harder to find a place to shoot here in Northern New Jersey. The range I shot at, which was nicknamed "Cambodia in the summer" closed and the other closest one to me is a bit small and too well lit. 

I shoot highpower rifle. I usually compete in the service rifle class (M1, M1A/M14 and/or AR15/M16) anywhere from 100 to 1000 yards ... no scopes ... all iorn sights. I've been back to Camp Perry a few times though i won't be going this year. I also shoot bullseye pistol (one handed @ 25 and 50 yards). Even a bad at the range is better than a slow day at work!

Jim

Another former Marine who served in Viet Nam in 66,67,68. Semper Fi.

Started working with computers in 1963 with Sargent & Lundy engineers in Chicago. After the service, I went to work for Nuclear Data in 1975, Nuclear Data was purchased by Canberra Industries in the early 90's. Today the company's name is Cogema and is half owned by the French goverment and that make us real popular. I service mainly nuclear power plants, DOE sites & state laboratories for the purpose of qualifying and quantifying nuclear radiation. My speciality is in alpha particles and gamma rays. Our equipment and my customers would be some of the first responders in the event of a terrorist's dirty bomb. Larry G., another jar head, doesn't live too far from my residence in Elgin, IL. The diversity and expertise manifested from these posts are very impressive. Ditto, Nice thread.

My speciality is in alpha particles and gamma rays. Our equipment and my customers would be some of the first responders in the event of a terrorist's dirty bomb

If I were a terrorist :ph34r: I would rather take care of one or several existing dirty bombs - nuclear power plants... Please be careful with gamma rays. Alfa particles are not that bad unless you eat them (correct me if I am wrong) ;)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Adallak, my cousin teaches at Penn State. Assistant Professor. PhD, Environmental and Civil Engineering.

Adallak, my cousin teaches at Penn State. Assistant Professor. PhD, Environmental and Civil Engineering.

ok Marika, I'll say hi him for you. :D

ok Marika, I'll say hi him for you. :D

Here's his website. Currently, he's out of the country on a much deserved vacation:

http://www.engr.psu.edu/ce/Faculty/schuhmann.html

Here's his website. Currently, he's out of the country on a much deserved vacation:

hmmm he seems to be a smart guy. Well, I'll say him hi for you when he is back from Afrika.

p.s. I used to teach at universities too...some 20 years ago :rolleyes:

hmmm he seems to be a smart guy. Well, I'll say him hi for you when he is back from Afrika.

p.s. I used to teach at universities too...some 20 years ago :rolleyes:

What did you teach?

One of my cousin's hobbies is rebuilding and restoring old British sports cars, you know the type, every time you drive them, they need a tune up.....LOLOL!!!!!

What did you teach?

all kinds of optics (not only one you know well as a seasoned photographer), spectroscopy and quantum electronics (laser stuff in other words)

What did you teach?

all kinds of optics (not only one you know well as a seasoned photographer), spectroscopy and quantum electronics (laser stuff in other words)

As a child I used to take apart TV sets, only got shocked once on a chassis of a TV, I didn't fully discharge the capacitors......LOL...!!! :huh:

I also used to hang out in the TV repair shop in the neighborhood and watch those guys fix every kind of electronics. I used to find radios in the garbage and fix them. My mother used to just have this horrified look on her face everytime I dragged home a TV, radio, stereo, you name it. She never stopped me, though. She knew I was busy "self educating". :blink:

I built my own class A amplifiers when I was about 18, for my stereo, two Dynaco 70's, strapped the transformers into mono to double the power output. They still sound awesome to this day. Nothing comes close to a class A power amp for sound reproduction. B)

Larry G., another jar head, doesn't live too far from my residence in Elgin, IL.

Bob,

Right on one count. Just up the road from you. Not a jar head though. U.S. Army "Big Red One" '68. Don't hate me though :lol:

I built my own class A amplifiers when I was about 18, for my stereo, two Dynaco 70's, strapped the transformers into mono to double the power output. They still sound awesome to this day. Nothing comes close to a class A power amp for sound reproduction.

nothing can beat the old stuff!! :lol:

I built my own class A amplifiers when I was about 18, for my stereo, two Dynaco 70's, strapped the transformers into mono to double the power output. They still sound awesome to this day. Nothing comes close to a class A power amp for sound reproduction.

nothing can beat the old stuff!! :lol:

The funny thing about Dynaco 70's was that brand new the kit went for about $100. They were Dynaco's midline amplifier. Now a days, you would be lucky if you could find a Dynaco 70 in "so-so" condition for under $400. The price of electronics always goes down, except for vintage vaccum tube systems. Their prices continue to go up and if you ever heard them, you would know why... ;)

As a child I used to take apart TV sets, only got shocked once on a chassis of a TV, I didn't fully discharge the capacitors......LOL...!!! :huh:

That happened to me too: when I tried to tune the magnets on a tube using a mirror to check a picture. I was shocked two times (two days in a row) very hard.

I read the postings above and did find so much common in what we did. (Building amplifiers, fixing the radios and such...) :)

I have been a self-employed Structural Steel Detailer (draftsman) for 15 years out of my basement. I have been married for 20 years and have 2 wonderful daughters age 6 and 16 months. I am an Eagle Scout and have been a Boy/Cub Scout Leader for 21 years and I am now a Girl Scout Leader for my 6 year olds Troop. I detail steel for commercial, industrial, and residential construction. I have worked on projects all over the United States. I love to tinker with cars, I have a few projects; 65 Falcon Convert., 55a Chevy pick-up(my grandfathers), & 69 corvette. I really enjoy watching this board to get or give advice for my Caddy's.

Archived