CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Flood

adallak

My car got flooded this morning. I was sleeping when it happened. The neighbors woke me up to share the good news. It happened so fast I could do nothing. I waited until the water subsided so it would at least clear the exhaust pipe, and started the car. It did start after hesitation. There was some 6'' of water inside the car. I put it on incline to get the water out of exhaust system and later got as much water out as I could. There is still plenty under the carpet. Do you think I'll be allright after it dries?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

If it started, I'd say you'll be ok if you take some preventative steps. Since the interior was saturated, I'd pull out ALL the carpets/pads, right down to the metal floor-pans, and shampoo them with a bio-cide cleaner to ensure they don't mold. Don't put ANY carpets back into the car until both the interior and the carpets are bone dry. You should be able to do this job fairly quickly with a strong wet-vac.

As far as the car's mechanical systems... if the water was extremely high, I'd change the fluids just to be sure there isn't any water contamination in them. Beyond that, I would probably use wd-40 liberally on the electrical components/connectors to ensure they're free of water, and won't corrode in a few months and cause problems.

These cars are pretty water-tight, as I've (accidentally) driven my Eldorado through some incredibly deep waters with no trouble. Last summer I failed to see a washed out road, and ended up driving through water that looked to be almost to the side-view mirrors! It didn't leak into the car (I still can't figure out how!), and I was able to drive out of the 'puddle' with no problems. Once home, I checked all the fluids, and liberally applied wd-40 to any wiring/electrical I could find. It seems the electrical system is fairy well sealed, as long as you make sure it properly dries out.

Go rent a Bissell carpet cleaner to suck out all the water out of the carpet. Once all the water is out, shampoo the carpets. I use laundry detergent mixed with water. Scrub the carpets. Now suck as much of it out as you can. Next step is important. Mix a VERY small amount of bleach to water and pour on the carpets. This will kill germs and bacteria and keep the carpet from stinking. Now use the Bissell to get the carpet as dry as possible. Park the car in the sun with the windows cracked open. Now enjoy your very clean interior.

IPB Image

Gents, thanks for the replies. The parking was flooded because the drain system could not digest all of that incredibly heave rain. The water got to the chrome moldings for about half an hour and later subsided. The neighbors saw pretty impressive stream of water from my tale pipe when I started the car. I sucked as much of water from the carpets as I could. The seats socked some water as well. Now it is dripping. Well, to be honest I have been in the market for a newer Cadillac because the old boy does give me too much headache lately and I do not enjoy it as much as I did before. I will dry out the car but am not going to shampoo or anything. That God's act probably was a sign to move on and get another car. Thanks again for all the advices.

If you're not going to shampoo it, at the least try to dry it out very quickly. Sop up as much as you can with towels and a vacuum, and consider parking the car out in the sun (not that there's any of that to be had around here) with the windows cracked.

Although it's not the "green" thing to do, I've let my car idle for a couple hours with the heat on "hi" and the windows barely cracked to dry out the interior. Works well!

...just to ANYTHING to avoid the smell of death that WILL overtake the car in a few days if it's not dried out well/quickly! The mold is not good for your health, and the odor WILL keep any potential passengers out! :lol:

If you're not going to shampoo it, at the least try to dry it out very quickly. Sop up as much as you can with towels and a vacuum, and consider parking the car out in the sun (not that there's any of that to be had around here) with the windows cracked.

Although it's not the "green" thing to do, I've let my car idle for a couple hours with the heat on "hi" and the windows barely cracked to dry out the interior. Works well!

...just to ANYTHING to avoid the smell of death that WILL overtake the car in a few days if it's not dried out well/quickly! The mold is not good for your health, and the odor WILL keep any potential passengers out! :lol:

I did not think of turning heat on. Good idea. Guys, you really scare me with that mold/odor thing...

Its amazing that it started, Id leave the doors open and disconnect the negative battery cable. Any other cars get flooded?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Its amazing that it started, Id leave the doors open and disconnect the negative battery cable. Any other cars get flooded?

Mike, I did not hope it would start either. A couple more cars, but not as bad as mine. It still raining here... So, there is nothing more I can do right now. Now, I have to take care of myself. Looks like I cought cold while I was messing with my flooded car in the rain...

Mike, I did not hope it would start either. A couple more cars, but not as bad as mine. It still raining here... So, there is nothing more I can do right now. Now, I have to take care of myself. Looks like I cought cold while I was messing with my flooded car in the rain...

Feel better, I was sick for about 10 days with the flu, 101 temp, etc... just got over it.. This rain is crazy

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

It now shows fuel lever very low despite there is at least 10 GAL in the tank. Probably water got high enough to get into fuel pump connector, which is as I recall on the upper side of the tank. I am afraid more electrical problems will follow. Will this rain ever stop?!

Adallak,

Sorry to hear about your problems with the flooding.

As some of the others have stated...DRY IT OUT...as quick as possible.

Mold and mildew will start to grow VERY QUICKLY.

If you have FULL COVERAGE insurance, I might explore the possibility of having all the carpets replaced or at the very least, let a shop that does that kind of work, do the cleaning and drying of the carpets.

The mold problem can get REAL UGLY... REAL QUICK.

Once it gets started, it is very, very difficult to get rid of.

About the rain...

Send some of it down here to Texas. :D

It has been 102 to 104 for the last couple of weeks and NO RAIN AT ALL. :D:D

Posted Image

Adallak, speaking of electrical problems due to water, when I had my 91, I had to go through about 15 inches of water, after that my suspension compressor stopped working and I needed to put a new head on it

It now shows fuel lever very low despite there is at least 10 GAL in the tank. Probably water got high enough to get into fuel pump connector, which is as I recall on the upper side of the tank. I am afraid more electrical problems will follow. Will this rain ever stop?!

Get some WD (Water Displacement) 40.

Mix a weak concentration of bleach and pour it over the carpet. Let it set for a while to destroy the bacteria and mold spores. Afterwards, use a carpet machine to suck as much out as possible. You can either rent them or find them at thrift stores for cheap. This is what I did after my heater core decided to dump all the radiator fluid inside the car. Cleaning the carpet this way left the car smelling fresh and the carpets much cleaner.

IPB Image

Mix a weak concentration of bleach and pour it over the carpet. Let it set for a while to destroy the bacteria and mold spores. Afterwards, use a carpet machine to suck as much out as possible. You can either rent them or find them at thrift stores for cheap. This is what I did after my heater core decided to dump all the radiator fluid inside the car. Cleaning the carpet this way left the car smelling fresh and the carpets much cleaner.

Ed,

I am scared to drive the car (it is quiet unpredictable), so renting anything is not an option. I just keep drying the floor carpet with towels. I also sprayed 2oz of bleach over the carpet and closed the windows so that the chlorine vapor would stay inside. I am pretty sure a lot of headache is ahead, so I am really reluctant to put too much effort. Probably it is the time to finally get something newer...Thank everybody for advice!

Get some WD (Water Displacement) 40.

Ranger, it is hard to get to the connector without dropping the tank.

Adallak,

Sorry to hear about your problems with the flooding.

As some of the others have stated...DRY IT OUT...as quick as possible.

Mold and mildew will start to grow VERY QUICKLY.

If you have FULL COVERAGE insurance, I might explore the possibility of having all the carpets replaced or at the very least, let a shop that does that kind of work, do the cleaning and drying of the carpets.

The mold problem can get REAL UGLY... REAL QUICK.

Once it gets started, it is very, very difficult to get rid of.

About the rain...

Send some of it down here to Texas. :D

It has been 102 to 104 for the last couple of weeks and NO RAIN AT ALL. :D:D

Jim, I sprayed some chlorine over the carpets. If it gets covered with mold or smell badly, I will junk my poor Caddy. Believe me it is going to be a hard decision. I have been doing my best to keep that car on road for 9,5 years. The history of ownership turned into history of repairs. Not every problem has been posted by me here. Lots of work. I did enjoy the torque of that beast though.

Adallak, speaking of electrical problems due to water, when I had my 91, I had to go through about 15 inches of water, after that my suspension compressor stopped working and I needed to put a new head on it

The compressor starts, but it makes noises and cuts off early. I am pretty sure this car is history.

UPDATE. We had a nice breeze here, the car dries out slowly but is still wet. Took it for a short drive. Dash shows all gears selected simultaneosly. It does not accelerate as usual, kind of sluggish. Besides some B-codes there is something new - NO ECM DATA. SYSTEM PROBLEM. Of course SES light...

Probably a few days of 100% humidity inside the car affected contacts of ECM. Will check out tomorrow. There is a new whining noise in the area of serpentine belt. Sounds like a bad bearing. Probably AC compressor was under water for some time... I keep shorter serpentine belt in the trunk in case something happens to the compressor. Car is not drivable. It is going to complicate shopping for a newer vehicle...

The accessories have nothing to do with the whine. Could it be caused with main bearing?

Archived