CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission, no 3rd gear, shift solenoids?

:welcomesmiley:

hey new member. I have a 95 eldorado with a trans problem. Wheres the correct place to post about this? Thank you.

This is the correct place. Read this up and post your storred trouble codes.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=15254

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Posting here is good. We are supposed to be posting in areas specific to our cars, I believe, seeings how they put the effort in to generating those areas. I see the value in having an area more specific to your model, but most of us are still addicted to this discussion forum.

Can you give specifics about your problem and pull any codes to share to better help us help you. For pulling codes you can go to the home page and click on the 'How To' tab to find out how, if you don't already know how to get this info.

Charlie

Yeah I didnt see a eldorado sub forum so i figured id just post here. So heres the codes I pulled

PO52 History-PCM Memory Reset

PO56 History- Transmission Input Speed Sensor

PO86 Current- Undefined Gear Ratio (Transmission Pressure Control)

PO109 History- Keep Alive Memory Reset PCM has lost primary battery power

P132 Current-Knock Sensor Circutry Failure

IO52 History- Keep Alive Memory Failure

A048 History- Low Refridgerant Pressure

SO36 History- Electronic Level Control Compressor Short to Ground/Open

SO60 History- Left Front Suspension Position Sensor Fault

SO61 History- Right Front Suspension Position Sensor Fault

SO71 History- Right Front Accelerator Fault

I noticed some were history so to void any false positives or confusion I cleared codes and rode down the block and back to activate any current codes and now im getting P132 Knock Sensor Circuitry Failure, and a S071 Right Front Accelerometer Fault. My symptoms are the 95 eldorado is stuck in second. Ive tried manual style shifting, and I cant get anything but Park, Reverse, Neutral, and 2nd. When i go from 2nd to 3rd or drive it just goes into what seems neutral then when i give it gas the rpms go back to where the 2nd gear disengaged and continues to pull from there. I feel as its a B shift solenoid but the problem with that hypothisis is the fact that Im not getting a dtc for it. So now im left with a knock sensor circuitry failure, and a front right accelerometer with no clue where to go from here. I could throw parts at it but as you cnat take solenoids back and Im semi broke Id rather not. Would a OBD1 scanner pull anything more in depth than the on board scanner? I welcome any info on the subject. thanks caddyfam.

My symptoms are the 95 eldorado is stuck in second. Ive tried manual style shifting, and I cant get anything but Park, Reverse, Neutral, and 2nd. When i go from 2nd to 3rd or drive it just goes into what seems neutral then when i give it gas the rpms go back to where the 2nd gear disengaged and continues to pull from there. I feel as its a B shift solenoid but the problem with that hypothisis is the fact that Im not getting a dtc for it. So now im left with a knock sensor circuitry failure, and a front right accelerometer with no clue where to go from here. I could throw parts at it but as you cnat take solenoids back and Im semi broke Id rather not. Would a OBD1 scanner pull anything more in depth than the on board scanner? I welcome any info on the subject. thanks caddyfam.

fatboi:

I had a '94 ETC prior to my STS that presented the same symptoms. First gear ok, then late and hard 1-2 shift, no third. Sometimes would feel as if in neutral with all rev when starting from a stop. That usually went away after a few minutes. While this was happening, my spedometer also failed to read. I finally had a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) code being thrown intermittently so I was lucky and it was a no-brainer. Problem at first is that it did not register in the DIC as Current or History.

Fortunately that was a $40 part. Perhaps someone else will have a more definitive answer as to where to go next, this was just a little Eldorado flashback for me ;)

HTH:

Mark

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

You are showing an ISS speed sensor code, when the ISS speed sensor goes bad, the PCM relies upon the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). Are you having problems with the speedometer at all?

Have you dropped the pan yet?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

No i have yet to drop the pan and no vss code. Ive never had any problems with the speedometer. The only speed related code Ive ever had was the trans input speed sensor but since ive cleared the codes it hasnt came back but I have only drove around the block (about half a mile). Would it take more driving maybe to get the pcm to recognize the problem? Isnt there a way to use the on board system to test the a/b solenoids?

The problem, as I see it, must be related to the shift solenoids. Since failure mode is mechanical in nature, the solenoids will be electrically perfect, no codes. That is, until the SES or some other code is thrown.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

The P086 code may be caused by a number of problems, the main is the lack of proper fluid pressure.

Start with the obvious, warm up the engine and transmission by 10 minutes or so of easy driving, the park on level ground and check the transmission fluid level.

If the fluid level is OK, the next step is to drop the transmission fluid pan. With the pan off, you can clean the scavenger tube screens to be sure they are clean. Just remove them and spray clean with carb cleaner (or similar product) and put them back in.

At this time you can also check the shifting solenoids to see if the mounting brackets are loose or broken. The brackets were common source of the failed shift issue, and not to hard to fix.

P056 is a fairly common code, it is the transmission speed sensor. A $20 part, $2,000 deep into the transmission. I have had this code for years and is has not caused a problem, other than an occasional a firm shift. When the sensor is not detected the transmission defaults to a higher line pressure to protect the clutches during shifts. My advice is to ignore it.

P132 the knock sensor is a very important sensor to have working. It protect the engine when using the various grades of gasoline, and during high temperature operations. The sensor is located on the back side (towards the firewall) of the engine block see attached image to help locate it. You may have a damaged connection, or damaged wires; this is the most likely cause. Fix any damage you may find, clear the codes and see if it resets after some driving time. If it resets, replace the knock sensor.

-George

post-141-1244385277_thumb.jpg

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

sweet thanks for the pic. I replaced my solenoids with the kit from gm and reassembled with evrything including checkballs in the right places and still no luck. I have 3rd and 4th now but thats it. Seems as when in 1st and 2nd it in neutral. I think my clutches indeed may be shot.

sweet thanks for the pic. I replaced my solenoids with the kit from gm and reassembled with evrything including checkballs in the right places and still no luck. I have 3rd and 4th now but thats it. Seems as when in 1st and 2nd it in neutral. I think my clutches indeed may be shot.

Did you use the bracket that came with the new solenoid kit?

How did you get to 3rd and 4th gears without 1st and 2nd, you confused me. (I have 3rd and 4th now but thats it. Seems as when in 1st and 2nd it in neutral)

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Why would you think that the clutches are shot?

You did have 1st and 2nd.

Now you have 3rd and 4th.

My question is...how did you get it in 3rd and 4th...without 1st and 2nd?

Posted Image

Are you sure you reconnected the harness for each solenoid? There is a total of 3 electrical harnesses, two of which are for the solenoids.

Yep I used the full kit including the braket. I am without a doubt 110% sure i reconnected all 3 connectors. I recieved the vehicle in limp mode (2nd gear only) and upon research concluded I had the age old broken solenoid problem (which I used the gm kit including bracket to repair). Everything was put back together and still no 1st and 2nd (feels as if in neutral in 1st and 2nd) so I used pcm override ps11 to "manually" shift into 3rd from a dead stop. I know its not good for it but if im stuck replacing the trans may as well drive it a tad. And i do mean a tad. I went to walmart and back which was like 10 miles and back.

Yep I used the full kit including the braket. I am without a doubt 110% sure i reconnected all 3 connectors. I recieved the vehicle in limp mode (2nd gear only) and upon research concluded I had the age old broken solenoid problem (which I used the gm kit including bracket to repair). Everything was put back together and still no 1st and 2nd (feels as if in neutral in 1st and 2nd) so I used pcm override ps11 to "manually" shift into 3rd from a dead stop. I know its not good for it but if im stuck replacing the trans may as well drive it a tad. And i do mean a tad. I went to walmart and back which was like 10 miles and back.

Did you change the trans filters? Did you change the trans fluid? If I were you, I would do a trans change by removing the upper trans cooler line attached to the left side radiator, connect an adapter that you can purchase in the plumbing section of Home Depot and connect a clear plastic line to the adapter and let the trans pump the fluid out into a bucket. You must do this in park only and you cannot shift gears while your doing it. Once the fluid begins to spit shut the engine down and refile. You should get about 2 gallons of fluid to drain. I would do this in case there is something lodged in the trans that is causing the P086 code. It's worth a shot?!

Are the symptoms different now that you changed the shift solenoids?

Are you 100% sure you have the check balls in correctly?

Pull the main plug on the tranny and clean it

How did the tranny fluid smell?, starting out in 3rd gear puts a LOT of stress on the clutches, I wouldnt do that

Well seeing as I had to drop the trans pan yeah I changed the fluid lol. Even went as far as to pull the "hidden" drain plus under the valve body to get a few extra quarts out. Fresh scavanger screens from advaced. New fluid when I filled back up.

Well seeing as I had to drop the trans pan yeah I changed the fluid lol. Even went as far as to pull the "hidden" drain plus under the valve body to get a few extra quarts out. Fresh scavanger screens from advaced. New fluid when I filled back up.

Regarding P086 code, are you sure you fit the filters in correctly? If they are not tightly in place and there is a leak it could cause a problem. Such a leak would cause low pressure. And I take it that you made sure the transaxle fluid was refilled to correct level. Here is a link where you can determine what could be causing p086 code. You can search for "p086".

• 1 month later...
yep correct level, filters were installed snugly.

I have a similar problem in my 94 Eldo. Had a the code 029, changed the solenoids, still have he 29 code.

I got the kit but did not use the new bracket. Not sure which filter it was suppose to go to. They stay in place

by the nipples hitting the pan, I assumed. The little filter that came in the kit, that goes between the solenoids,

seemed very secure with the solenoids holding it in. WHERE was the bracket suppose to go??? Could this be

my problem??? Everything else fine, and balls, 3 wires, all in correctly.

ANY IDEAS???

• 2 weeks later...
yep correct level, filters were installed snugly.

I got the kit but did not use the new bracket. Not sure which filter it was suppose to go to. They stay in place

by the nipples hitting the pan, I assumed. The little filter that came in the kit, that goes between the solenoids,

seemed very secure with the solenoids holding it in. WHERE was the bracket suppose to go??? Could this be

my problem??? Everything else fine, and balls, 3 wires, all in correctly.

ANY IDEAS???

Not using the bracket is definitely the cause of the problem. There should have been instructions in the solenoid kit as to the installation of the bracket. If not, maybe someone can post them or check with a dealer.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Regarding P086 code, are you sure you fit the filters in correctly? If they are not tightly in place and there is a leak it could cause a problem. Such a leak would cause low pressure. And I take it that you made sure the transaxle fluid was refilled to correct level. Here is a link where you can determine what could be causing p086 code. You can search for "p086".

One thing that is important is to be sure that the gaskets (metal with black coating) are not torn, otherwise there will be an internal leak causing pressure drop. That and the check-balls and solenoids itself are the only things disturbed when doing the R&R. If you didn't have the low pressure warning before it MUST be one of the mentioned items!

Are the symptoms different now that you changed the shift solenoids?

Are you 100% sure you have the check balls in correctly?

Pull the main plug on the tranny and clean it

How did the tranny fluid smell?, starting out in 3rd gear puts a LOT of stress on the clutches, I wouldnt do that

A lot of stress from heat generated by the vicious converter. The torque converter does the most "slipping" and creates heat. Volvo 960 for instance has a winter driving selection. Starts in 3:rd.

It's the slipping time before the vicious converter clutch engages that generates heat.

I think there are 7 check balls. Counted them? ;) If you've had 1-2 before and 3-4 now the cluthes are ok....

Archived