CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fuel Injectors

skyman

Shopping for fuel injectors for 91 Eldo. They seem to range in price from $80 to $180. Which ones are recommended? Dealer original injectors or premeum after market like bosch?

I went through a couple remanufactured injectors about a half a year ago, and they leaked. I returned them for an ACDelco and haven't had any problems.

www.rockauto.com has good prices, great customer service and fast shipping. And if you click the link at the bottom of my post here, there's a discount code you can use as well.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Shopping for fuel injectors for 91 Eldo. They seem to range in price from $80 to $180. Which ones are recommended? Dealer original injectors or premeum after market like bosch?

Injectors for 4.6 Ford Crown Vic, Lincoln, Mustang work just fine (actually they are more reliable compared to OEM). I bought a set of eight remanufactured injectors off eBay for $150. If you are interested I'll find the seller I bought from.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Injectors for 4.6 Ford Crown Vic, Lincoln, Mustang work just fine (actually they are more reliable compared to OEM). I bought a set of eight remanufactured injectors off eBay for $150. If you are interested I'll find the seller I bought from.

Try www.lindertech.com

I will post again if that link works.

Ok ...the link works. You may have to copy and paste.

Anyway, rebuilt injectors often do not flow the same amount as OEM injectors. I've seen AutoZone and others flow 30% less then OEM injectors.

So the PCM cannot 'see' this 1 injector. The PCM can adjust some for this. But only if all the injectors are changed. One bad flow injector messes everything up.

Here are the options. Replace 1 injecter. Replace with a GM one ...or repalce all with reman. Reset the computer.

• 3 weeks later...

Tell us a little more about how you diagnosed and determined you had bad injectors?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Tell us a little more about how you diagnosed and determined you had bad injectors?

Finally found a local mechanic that was actually was interested in fixing my car and not just bleeding me.

He pulled the plugs which were only put in Aug of 2007. 6 were ok , two #5 and #7 were all carboned up.

First off he said that I should not have put in the platinum plugs..not recommended for this particular year Eldo. He said that the coil does not put out enough juice to properly fire them. He recommended the standard plug that the car came with. OK so we did that and it was still missing.

He tested the compression on those two cylinders and they passed no prob. Then he tested the injectors and found them to be faulty. He put the tester on a good injector and actually showed me what it should do, then on the bad ones and they did nothing. So there ya go.

They are on order and hopefully GM has them.

Barring any other glitches, I'll have it back on the road soon.

Finally found a local mechanic that was actually was interested in fixing my car and not just bleeding me.

He pulled the plugs which were only put in Aug of 2007. 6 were ok , two #5 and #7 were all carboned up.

First off he said that I should not have put in the platinum plugs..not recommended for this particular year Eldo. He said that the coil does not put out enough juice to properly fire them. He recommended the standard plug that the car came with. OK so we did that and it was still missing.

He tested the compression on those two cylinders and they passed no prob. Then he tested the injectors and found them to be faulty. He put the tester on a good injector and actually showed me what it should do, then on the bad ones and they did nothing. So there ya go.

Thanks, let us know how this turns out

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

A little late for this thread, but Cruzin Performance is a reliable, honest source for fuel injector service.

My injectors turned out to be OK, so I was only charged the minimum, no rebuilding/repair necessary.

Shop location is in Big Rapids, Michigan.

Cruzin Performance

The Cleaning Process

My Tests Results

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Sure...Can't wait to get my baby back on the road!

• 2 weeks later...

Sure...Can't wait to get my baby back on the road!

Congrat's to Mikes Auto Care in Greene,NY.

Took it in today. Mike replaced the bad injectors #1and #7...total cost parts,labor and tax $468.

If I had taken it to Mikes in the first place, I would have saved all the money I wasted at the Cdillac dealer and other places..having bad injectors flushed and other parts replaced that really did'nt need replacing.

Oh well live and learn and we're back on the road again.

Anyone having problems similar to the ones I was having, I would recommend pulling the plugs and have a look and take it from there.

Pulling plugs on a 4.9 is not fun. I would first measure the resistance of the injectors on the common connectors. One per four injectors. takes a few minutes, but tells a lot. By the way, watch the other injectors. If two went south the rest will follow soon.

Yup you're so correct! This morning a third injector crapped out. Going to replace that one. If one more crapps out, I'm just going to replace the rest of them. These babies are $157 dollars each!!!

Yup you're so correct! This morning a third injector crapped out. Going to replace that one. If one more crapps out, I'm just going to replace the rest of them. These babies are $157 dollars each!!!

Too bad you did not follow my advice. You could have a SET OF EIGHT refurb. tested injectors from Ford for $150 with known flow rate which is very close to OEM. A lot of 4.9 owners have done that.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday, I had the other 6 fuel injectors replaced. The car runs nice and smooth. The only negative I have found is that my gas milage seems to have suffered with the new injectors. Perhaps the fact that the old injectors were not functioning properly"intermmitantly" and the engine was running on the lean side, thus using less gas.

Yesterday, I had the other 6 fuel injectors replaced. The car runs nice and smooth. The only negative I have found is that my gas milage seems to have suffered with the new injectors. Perhaps the fact that the old injectors were not functioning properly"intermmitantly" and the engine was running on the lean side, thus using less gas.

How did you determine the gas mileage has suffered so quickly?

I monitored it with the computer consol. I took it out on the highway, driving it the same way I usually do. Checked the instant milage then checked my average. They seemed to be off by about 5 to 7 mpg.

I monitored it with the computer consol. I took it out on the highway, driving it the same way I usually do. Checked the instant milage then checked my average. They seemed to be off by about 5 to 7 mpg.

That is a lot. Watch it for a longer period of time.

• 2 weeks later...

I still see a drop in gas milage. What I have noticed is the torque converter seems to unlock at the slightest load. When going through the gears it seems that it will not lock up untill it's in fourth gear. Maybe thats the way it's supposed to be but it seems like the rpms are to high. Alot of the time it is still unlocked over the 42-43 mph where it drops into 4th. Anyone know what contrls the torque converter or is it just something that kicks in and out depending on the rpm?

I still see a drop in gas milage. What I have noticed is the torque converter seems to unlock at the slightest load. When going through the gears it seems that it will not lock up untill it's in fourth gear. Maybe thats the way it's supposed to be but it seems like the rpms are to high. Alot of the time it is still unlocked over the 42-43 mph where it drops into 4th. Anyone know what contrls the torque converter or is it just something that kicks in and out depending on the rpm?

There is a simple test for converter lock-up. Drive at constant speed of 50-55 MPH. That's the speed the converter should be locked at. Set your DIC to show RPM. Depress lightly the brake pedal . Just hard enough to engage the brake switch. The converter should unlock and the RPM should jump some 100-150 RPM. If theere is no change, the converter either never locked-up or it did not unlock. Check your codes again. There is a specific code for the converter.

The code for VCC slip is E39. Its usual cause is a bad solenoid but it's hard to get to since it's located on the side of the transmission. A VCC that slips can easily account for your loss in fuel economy.

IPB Image

Too bad you did not follow my advice. You could have a SET OF EIGHT refurb. tested injectors from Ford for $150 with known flow rate which is very close to OEM. A lot of 4.9 owners have done that.

The Ford injectors have also proved to be more reliable as well which is one of the main reasons a lot of 4.9 owners have switched over.

IPB Image

Archived