CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

DTS Testing on Saturday

Texas Jim and I plan to get together Saturday and try to capture some numbers on his 06 DTS performance sedan. Hopefully we'll get some pics, perhaps some video, and some breakfast. If we get weather instead or something comes up, then he can grab my AP-22 and try to get some numbers when it dries off and he gets a chance.

I would guess the DTS will do 0-60mph in 6.9 to 7.3sec, but we'll see what Jim's will go. It should be running clean after those high-speed runs.

The Dallas Auto Show started today, so I am also hoping to get by there Saturday to see the Cadillac exhibit and grab some pics. The 08 CTS may be on the way back from Geneva and not at Dallas, but we'll see. http://www.dallasautoshow.org/

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

That's great that you guys are getting together..can't wait to see the results..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Texas Jim and I plan to get together Saturday and try to capture some numbers on his 06 DTS performance sedan. Hopefully we'll get some pics, perhaps some video, and some breakfast. If we get weather instead or something comes up, then he can grab my AP-22 and try to get some numbers when it dries off and he gets a chance.

I would guess the DTS will do 0-60mph in 6.9 to 7.3sec, but we'll see what Jim's will go. It should be running clean after those high-speed runs.

The Dallas Auto Show started today, so I am also hoping to get by there Saturday to see the Cadillac exhibit and grab some pics. The 08 CTS may be on the way back from Geneva and not at Dallas, but we'll see. http://www.dallasautoshow.org/

It may not be near as fast as Bruce thinks. :) But I hope it is.

It only has 2,500 miles on it and it weighs well over 2 tons plus I have not practiced launching it hard.

But we will find out. :):):)

Posted Image

....The Dallas Auto Show started today, so I am also hoping to get by there Saturday to see the Cadillac exhibit and grab some pics. The 08 CTS may be on the way back from Geneva and not at Dallas, but we'll see. http://www.dallasautoshow.org/

Take along some caddyinfo.com business cards in your camera case. I plan to do that at the Atlanta Auto show.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Worst case, you end up having to buy a new Cadillac; how bad can that be?

:lol::lol::lol:

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Worst case, you end up having to buy a new Cadillac; how bad can that be?

Hey the next one might do 130! :lol::lol::lol:

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I would guess the next one might be an STS-V if he keeps focusing on speed, or atleast an STS performance model with the 155mph limiter.

Bruce

I would guess the next one might be an STS-V if he keeps focusing on speed, or atleast an STS performance model with the 155mph limiter.

Was looking at a Black on Black '04 STS-V with dark tinted windows just a few weeks ago. :)

Was kinda tempting :) If I remember right, they were asking 30 for it.

Posted Image

I keep reading conflicting information on this.

Some say there *is* a 155 (or 150) mph limiter while others say in "Z" rated Cadillacs there is *no* limiter and the car simply exhausts itself at 155 mph.

I lean towards the latter. Can anyone set me straight on this? I'm speaking about the STS, not the "V."

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I keep reading conflicting information on this.

Some say there *is* a 155 (or 150) mph limiter while others say in "Z" rated Cadillacs there is *no* limiter and the car simply exhausts itself at 155 mph.

I lean towards the latter. Can anyone set me straight on this? I'm speaking about the STS, not the "V."

I think this was true with the FWD Northstar Cadillacs during the 1990s. Cars with Z-rated tires simply had no limiter, and would, as you say, "exhaust themselves" at the 145-150 mph range.

I think this changed some beginning in the 2000-2001 era when they started equipping FWD STSes with W-rated tires (168 mph). I think the cars got a bonefide limiter then, perhaps to conform to European "standards" of a 150 mph limiter, especially since the '98+ Seville was marketed heavily as a "world" car.

But as far as NEW STSes, on the RWD platform, I don't know. I would assume that there's still a speed limiter, but I don't know for sure what it is.

Apparently the CTS-V has no limiter, (and/or the limiter is set to 175mph) and will go (stock) around 164mph in 5th. 6th may go a few mph faster but is an overdrive gear for fuel economy and revs fall enough that it is slow going at that point.

Bruce

Texas Jim brought his 2006 DTS Performance Sedan out to Plano/Allen today:

IPB Image

It is a very striking car in person. It has navigation, rear park assist, front park assist, sunroof, et al. Looks good, luxurious, and filled with gadgets.

We visited a bit, and took some shots of his DTS and my CTS together:

IPB Image

Then we got my AP-22 accelerometer setup in the DTS, and talked about how to run it:

IPB Image

Did a couple of runs, then headed over to breakfast at Mimi's and more pics:

IPB Image

and wrapped up with a final run (with traction control off).

It was a fun morning, and nice to meet Jim in person and talk about Cadillacs all morning B)

Jim drove over from Fort Worth to Plano, so around a 1 hour trip coming in and the DTS was at operating temperature. When we started the temperature outside was around 47F. My prediction for the DTS was 0-60 mph in 6.9-7.3 sec.

Jim's first run was his fastest of the day, and the DTS did:

0-10 0.86 sec

0-20 1.76 sec

0-30 2.83 sec

0-40 3.83 sec

0-50 5.00 sec

0-60 6.68 sec

0-70 8.36 sec

A back-to-back run to try a different launch technique yielded a 0-60mph time

of 7.21 sec.

After the second run Jim realized he was leaving the traction control on. In the 06 DTS the traction off setting still allows first gear start. So after breakfast we headed back for one final run, and Jim logged 0-60mph in 6.80sec.

So, his DTS ran somewhat better than expected, at 6.68-7.2 sec from 0-60mph.

Jim's DTS is the 292hp performance variant. Jim and I guessed it weighed 4,200 lbs, although the spec weight is around 4,009 lbs. We used a test weight of 4,330 lbs with Jim in the DTS and at his gas level, so that may have been a bit high depending on stuff in the car, etc.

Using 4,330 lbs, the AP-22 calculated hp at the wheels on run 2 of 238hp, and run 3 of 241hp.

Since these are wheel hp, you would relate them to engine hp for an automatic by dividing by 0.8 (20% loss) or so, suggesting the (box stock) DTS was putting down the expected 297-301hp.

(With the weight set at 4230 it would have been similar, but slightly less, 292-294hp; the huge guess factor of 20% loss overshadows the other guesses anyway, but validating the factory 292hp rating).

All in all good numbers, and a fun morning.

Bruce

I love this, it looks like you guys had a lot of fun.... Good performance numbers also. The cars look so beautiful together.

I can't wait for Jim's impressions now of his performance numbers, I would be happy.

This is Caddyinfo at its best!

Re: the last picture, you guys parked in the wrong parking lot. There are, like, other cars in that lot with you. ;)

I love this, it looks like you guys had a lot of fun.... Good performance numbers also. The cars look so beautiful together.

I can't wait for Jim's impressions now of his performance numbers, I would be happy.

This is Caddyinfo at its best!

I am happy for the most part. :) It has been a good day.

I got to meet Bruce, talk about and play with Cadillacs and have a nice breakfast. Also got one more person to think that maybe a DTS is not as bad as they had previously thought :):) He did like all the gadgets it has. And, If I could drive better, it probably would have given better numbers. :):)

But as I said, I am pretty happy with the numbers. Not bad for over 2 tons and an idiot driver. It is not that much slower 0 to 60 than some of the older muscle cars from long, long ago and a galaxy far, far away. And it does it with only <I think> 262 cubic inches instead of 400 plus cubic inches. That can be attribited to the excellent engineering from GM.

I could not get it to launch hard off the line. :( It would roll a couple of car lengths before it would start pulling hard. I am sure it was my fault and not the car. I did not have time to practice launching it before we met to do the test. Long days at work, It does not do well torquing it up and then releasing the brake. It kinda bogs for a second coming off the line then realizes you want to GO FAST . I will try different things over the next couple of weeks and maybe later we can do it again .... after I learn to drive. :)

Posted Image

But as I said, I am pretty happy with the numbers. Not bad for over 2 tons and an idiot driver. It is not that much slower 0 to 60 than some of the older muscle cars from long, long ago and a galaxy far, far away. And it does it with only <I think> 262 cubic inches instead of 400 plus cubic inches. That can be attribited to the excellent engineering from GM.

Progress is definitely a good thing.

And, 4.6L = 281 cui.

Wow. That is just too fast for me. I've only been around 100 before and nothing ever over that.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Archived