CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

First Oil Change

Breeza_Brown

WOT's are a good thing in curbing the oil consumption in my experience. Slack off on the WOT's oil consumption goes up, Stay current with WOT's, oil consumption goes down. I've modified my WOT's in as such as I only go 1/2 to 3/4 throttle when initially accelerating so it's not so hard on the engine mounts.

Another thing as Ranger touched on is I really don't mind adding a quart between oil changes because if anything it helps.

Something else I read once is the Northstar was designed to operate continously at 6000 RPM's. To do that an engine has to have a good oiling system and I've also heard of Northstars with 100,000 or more miles and they're still just as strong as they were when driven off the lot when they were first sold. How many other cars can do these things?

For that alone I don't mind adding a quart when needed.

Jim

^_^ Very well said

How long do you do the 1/2 to 3/4 throttle before you floor it?

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

WOT's are a good thing in curbing the oil consumption in my experience. Slack off on the WOT's oil consumption goes up, Stay current with WOT's, oil consumption goes down. I've modified my WOT's in as such as I only go 1/2 to 3/4 throttle when initially accelerating so it's not so hard on the engine mounts.

Another thing as Ranger touched on is I really don't mind adding a quart between oil changes because if anything it helps.

Something else I read once is the Northstar was designed to operate continously at 6000 RPM's. To do that an engine has to have a good oiling system and I've also heard of Northstars with 100,000 or more miles and they're still just as strong as they were when driven off the lot when they were first sold. How many other cars can do these things?

Jim

^_^ Very well said

I'm doing roughly 35-40 in 2nd gear. give it closer to 3/4 until about 60 or so and then go all the way to the floor and hold it there until roughly 75 - 80 (or just before it will shift into 3rd on its own, around 82 MPH if memorey serves me correctly) and then I get out of the throttle until 35 or so and then I do it again for 5 times or so over a 2-3 mile stretch, traffic conditions withstanding!.

Jim

Jim

^_^ Very well said

I'm doing roughly 35-40 in 2nd gear. give it closer to 3/4 until about 60 or so and then go all the way to the floor and hold it there until roughly 75 - 80 (or just before it will shift into 3rd on its own, around 82 MPH if memorey serves me correctly) and then I get out of the throttle until 35 or so and then I do it again for 5 times or so over a 2-3 mile stretch, traffic conditions withstanding!.

Jim

Try doing that during rush hour! :o

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Good advice Jim, its the combo of the acceleration and the deceleration that exercises the rings, and the forced deceleration creates a buffeting low pressure in the combustion chamber that blows out carbon debris. I have not done it recently and I have a knocking, so its time... I just don't want to do the WOT with my ISS sensor problem... and borderline radiator side tanks.... :lol: Ahh spring maintenance is here...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Now would this be the same for my suburban? Doing the WOT to remove carbon buildup? When does yours knock? When it's first started and cold?

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Ahh spring maintenance is here...

Indeed it is. I remember the 1st few times I did this I observed how the front end really flexed, more than I liked under the heavy acceleration in 2nd gear (sure was fun and feels great :D). My thoughts were it may be good for the engine but some how I don't believe it's good for the drive line when the motor and transmission mounts are weaken besides, as you and the Guru have pointed out, it's the acceleration and decelleration thats doing the cleaning and that is what we're after.

Try doing that during rush hour!

Actually, I usually do it every other Saturday night when I'm traveling home from work. Sometimes its hard and because of traffic I just can't do it as well as I would like. Since the speed limit is 60 MPH here I don't take it to much over 70. Countey revenues are down and we all know what that means :o

Jim

My 1996 El Dorado ETC with 135,000 miles uses about a quart or more of oil every 3,000 mi. I'd always figured it was due to the 32 valve guides and mechanical work on the top end.

That doesn't add up! Someone must be putting oil in your engine when you're not looking. :lol:

3,000 miles and only a quart low? Not in any Northstar I know. :P

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I wish I used a quart every 3000 miles on my 96 :angry:

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I wish I used a quart every 3000 miles on my 96 :angry:

WOW! "Angry" smilie.

I presume you meant you'd like to use "only" a quart every 3,000 miles.

But you really didn't mean that, did you Mike?

I expect you really enjoy using that extra oil knowing that you are providing lottsa upper lube for those WOTS. Yes? :lol:

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

yes, I am sucking earl like mad!!! or leaking it.. I have driven not my baby hard at all, needing radiator end caps, ISS sensor, etc.... In addition its been a lean winter work wise....so I have not driven it much... not a good thing.. Things are about to change...............

Things are about to change...............

???

post-416-1173044670_thumb.jpg

Posted Image

Many changes.... will keep you up to date, job and car first...

Hi, all, I've read this thread and the links with great interest.

I own a 2000 DeVille. Bought it used with 31,000 miles on it from a dealer. The car was used by the dealer for loaners.

My driving habbits are mostly town but some hwy drives, and a few real long drives lasting several hours or more during a Saturday or Sunday drive. I'm used to changing the oil at about 3000 miles.

At 32,000 miles I noticed a rod slapping sound the first 5 minutes of start up each morning. I recorded that sound and took it and the car back to the dealer. They waited and started it up in the morning and compared the sound on the recording with what they heard with the car. They concluded that the engine had to be replaced. So they did.

After running driving the car the first time with the new engine I noticed that at about 1500 miles I was down almost a quart and a half. I asked the dealer about this and he said the Northstar was a high performance engine and used that much oil. I argued that this was way over the top and is flagerantly wasting oil - and only driving up profits of the oil companies. I got the same reply.

Now the car has 90,000 miles on the engine, and it still uses the same 1.5 quarts about every 1500 miles. When that happens I add a quart. I still change the oil every 3000 miles.

I have never taken the car out and did a WOT to it. Can I still do it to lessen the oil consumption, or is it too late ,and I must live with this oil as a "standard" ??

Tom

I own a 2000 DeVille. Bought it used with 31,000 miles on it from a dealer. The car was used by the dealer for loaners.

My driving habbits are mostly town but some hwy drives, and a few real long drives lasting several hours or more during a Saturday or Sunday drive. I'm used to changing the oil at about 3000 miles.

At 32,000 miles I noticed a rod slapping sound the first 5 minutes of start up each morning. I recorded that sound and took it and the car back to the dealer. They waited and started it up in the morning and compared the sound on the recording with what they heard with the car. They concluded that the engine had to be replaced. So they did.

After running driving the car the first time with the new engine I noticed that at about 1500 miles I was down almost a quart and a half. I asked the dealer about this and he said the Northstar was a high performance engine and used that much oil. I argued that this was way over the top and is flagerantly wasting oil - and only driving up profits of the oil companies. I got the same reply.

Now the car has 90,000 miles on the engine, and it still uses the same 1.5 quarts about every 1500 miles. When that happens I add a quart. I still change the oil every 3000 miles.

I have never taken the car out and did a WOT to it. Can I still do it to lessen the oil consumption, or is it too late ,and I must live with this oil as a "standard" ??

Tom

First off, since you are so concerned with flagrantly wasting oil and driving the profits of oil companies up, changing the oil every 3,000 miles is totally unnecessary... ESPECIALLY since you are adding oil. You have an OIL LIFE MONITOR use it, it works, do a search here for OLM and Oil Life Monitor lots of INFO...

If you baby your Northstar it will use oil, 90K is not a lot of miles..

Drive on an open highway minimal traffic

Dry Conditions, no rain

Car warmed up, oil level in OK range

Do 40, put car in second gear

Use 3/4 throttle to 60 and full throttle till the engine reaches 5600 RPM

Let off gas and allow the car to return to 40

Repeat 10 times

Do once a week for a month and then once a month. You should see an improvement.

....I have never taken the car out and did a WOT to it. Can I still do it to lessen the oil consumption, or is it too late ,and I must live with this oil as a "standard" ??

Tom

It's never too late. You might not see results immediately, but you will see results.

Learn to trust the oil life monitor also.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I would echo the sentiments expressed by JimD and BbF.

My '95 Eldorado used a quart every 800 miles or so when I first purchased "Baby." Holy CRAP! After a few WOTs it went to 1200 miles or so.

The current steed seems to require a quart about every 1500 miles.

It's never too late to do some WOTs.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

All it needed was a few WOTs to clear out the carbon - engine replacement wasn't required...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

All it needed was a few WOTs to clear out the carbon - engine replacement wasn't required...

I thought the same exact thing, what a waste! The dealer should be looked at by GM for that.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got two NS cars. A 97 STS and a 96 Deville. The STS uses almost the max service manual 1 quart per 1000 miles. I've owned it for 7 years and have changed driving habbits, the oil I use, and where and how I drive it. It has always used the same amount of oil. Have owned the Deville for two years, bought it partially because of my overall satisfaction with the NS. Same story with it. The Seville is my wifes car and I have changed all it's conditions as well including driving it myself. But it uses only 1/2 quart per 3000 miles. Go figure. The cars have different gearing which I think makes a difference. The horsepower is 275 vs 300 which also could make the difference. But with my two NS cars, the driver, the conditions, the oil and the like have made no difference whatsoever.

Well my 95 Eldo must be a freak. I change the oil at 4000 mi. I use no oil at all during that time. The level on the stick is the same from the day I add 7.5 qts to the day I drain it. Also, no leaks at all. I should add that it only has 65,000 miles. And yes, I hammer it at least once a week.

My original car was in the little-or-no-oil usage category until an oil change at about 75,000 miles and within three months it was using a quart every few hundred miles. I would add two quarts of Mobil 1 when I got the "Check Engine Oil" message at about 1,000 miles and add one more before the 3,000 mile oil change. The engine would run noticeably smoother after I put in that first two quarts of Mobil 1. The GM treatment, involving letting solvent sit on hot pistons for an hour, didn't help -- they let it sit for four hours, and the Tech Bulletin plainly says that over 3 hours and the shellac will settle back down into the rings if you let it sit over 3 hours and it will be worse than before.

I found that if I added two pints of CD2 Oil Detergent (the yellow bottle, not the stuff that increases viscosity) when it was down the first quart -- at about 500 miles, it wouldn't need any more oil before the next oil change 2500 miles later. I repeatedly questioned the service people what they were putting in my car and once was shown a Mobil 1 quart bottle. A year later I caught the tech skipping an oil change completely and have been going elsewhere since. Unfortunately I had a head gasket leakage problem about that time and changed the engine before I had enough miles to get a handle on whether that cured the problem or not, but my impression was that it did solve the problem. This is why I recommend that people first try having their car serviced at a filling station where they can watch before they determine that they have a real problem, use premium oil such as top-grade Havoline or perhaps try synthetic oil.

I have always used Mobil 1 in my Cadillac, and have been using 5W-30 since GM approved it for Northstars about 2002. I think that any good oil and an occasional WOT treatment on an engine in good condition or perhaps a lead foot should keep the motor using less than a quart every 1,500 miles, even with some seepage at the O-ring, because that was my experience.

If I had available at the time an extra bay in the garage, another car to use, and a week of time to work in my car, I might have considered a timesert job, a new oil pump, a new O-ring and pan gasket, etc., but I went with a Jasper because I needed the car every day and had no time to do a big job. And, yes, my Jasper is in the little-or-no-oil-usage category so far (about 9,000 miles), and I expect to keep it there with careful maintenance, miles on the freeway every week, and a lead foot.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I had read a couple of places that the northstar will actually use more sythetic oil campared to convential oil. I'm not picky though, I'd use sythetic and use more oil and have a longer lasting engine than the other way around.

I've done a few WOTs with my cadillac since I bought it about a month and a half ago and my oil usage has completly stopped. I keep checking it, but it's always in the same dang spot! I'm happy because I was adding a quart to every 1000 miles.

-Dusty-

b80385550.jpg

Archived