CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Pinstripe Whitewalls

WarrenJ

Okay, I'm a whitewall fan.

Ted tcb, to whom I owe this current Eldorado experience, is likely puking just now . . . .

Next Monday the Coopers get installed. The Michelin Symetries are good, but I want W/Ws.

BbF pointed me to the folk that will do the tint. Then I'm done.

Regards,

Warren

P.S. "New Baby" . . . . . .

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/WBuc...NewEldorado.jpg

(105KB)

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Warren,

I too used to be a W/W fan, but I am slowly coming into the 21st century (still no cell phone...... I did say slowly :D ). I viewed your pic and I think she looks sharper in black. Just my $0.02.

Warren,

I'd stick with the blackwalls. She's looking great as is!!

Stefan

Lookin' 50/50 so far . . . . 7 days to go

Regards,

Warren

I'm okay with wide whitewalls......

WIDE? Gansta !?!??

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

As we discussed, the only problem I have with white walls is that you can't get a high performace tire with whitewalls... But then again, you have a base Eldorado not the ETC. The only whitewall Michelin is the Symetry maybe one other.

I can see how the white wall would accent your car and other than the tire limitation I think it will look good..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

As we discussed, the only problem I have with white walls is that you can't get a high performace tire with whitewalls...

Mike,

You likely can't even begin to guess how disappointed I am in NOT being able to exceed 130mph!

Well, maybe, in the next life! :D

Regards,

Warren

B-l-a-c-k.

OOPS! That one tipped the bucket a little . . . . still seven days to go . . . .

Posted Image

The pinstripe whitewalls would look good on your car. I'd be inclined to drive the car until the tires were worn down to the wearbars and then switch tires.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Warren, when I say high performance I don't mean that you need to drive 130 plus. A tire like the Radial X, XGT H4, and Hydroedge are great tires and at normal speeds they are better in rain and are sure footed on exit ramps...

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The pinstripe whitewalls would look good on your car. I'd be inclined to drive the car until the tires were worn down to the wearbars and then switch tires.

Understood.

I imagine the Michelins will wind up on the car of the dealer's sister.

Not a problem . . . . as long as I get what I want.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Warren, when I say high performance I don't mean that you need to drive 130 plus. A tire like the Radial X, XGT H4, and Hydroedge are great tires and at normal speeds they are better in rain and are sure footed on exit ramps...

Gotcha!

I pretty much don't exceed 75 mph. And I do that on the Distressway!

Yeah, I don't know what traffic is. I work mostly 1:00pm to 9:00pm. Eat your hearts out you nine-to-fivers! :D:D:D

Regards,

Warren :P

Posted Image

Hey, Warren ... she's your baby now, so anything you do to her that makes you happy works

for me.

I love those rims ... tons of chrome.

I had the same ones on my 95 STS.

Normally, I'd stay with the blackwalls. But, on my 71 Cutlass convertible, I opted for

whitewalls. It really transformed the car and added a new dimension. Of course, in '71,

the car was equipped with w.w's straight from the factory.

Glad to hear the car has checked out ok for you.

Here's a pic (bad quality) of my 95 with the same rims .... the classic chrome cookie

cutter design.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Warren,

Decisions, decisions...

You could turn 'em inside out on one side and have it both ways - depending on which side you look at :blink:

Then again, you could shave the whitewall off every few inches and have a dashed-line effect. :huh:

Finally, I believe there was a tire around that had the white walls cut at an angle every inch or so for a swoopy look. :rolleyes:

Fix a black light inside the fenderwell edge and you have a light show. :unsure:

I'm waiting for the day that someone makes a play tire out of clear material, fills it with neon gas inside, fits an electric exciter on the rim for. . . drum roll please. . .

Wheels of FIRE

Regardless, Have fun ;)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

TDK, I think Goodyear used to make an Aquatred tire with the angle-slashed whitewalls like you describe.

Warren, whitewalls can make any car look totally class. It's all in your presentation. If you like the whitewalls, I say go for it. I didn't really consider whitewalls when I purchased new tires for mine last winter, but I was considering the Michelin Symmetry, which DO come in whitewall. I ended up buying the Michelin X Radial, which are only blackwall, and I'm incredibly happy with those tires.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Yeah, I don't know what traffic is. I work mostly 1:00pm to 9:00pm. Eat your hearts out you nine-to-fivers! :D:D:D

Alternative work schedules are mandatory (for me) around here, with the soldiers and their crazy driving (no offense to soldiers, but if you live in Fayetteville, you know what I mean).

I work 0630-1500. I'm gone outta there and home washing the car on pretty afternoons before anyone else is even turning off their computers. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

You know to whitewall or not to whitewall is a personal preference. To me its a bad subject like oil and tires themselves.

I think my car would look like hell without whitewalls, the car would look incomplete without them. That is my opinion however..

What you are polling here Warren are opinions never a good thing to do with such a divisive topic... If you like them do it..... It will look great to 50% of the people and you! That's what counts, You...

I love how marketing tactics have made blackwall tires "sporty" when 15 years ago, they were reserved only for cop cars and taxis... Blackwall tires are cheaper to produce - that's why most cars have them today.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have to say I miss having them, brakes up all that black, it gives the deville some nice class...

with that said when my Pirelli are shined up and you can read the sidewall lettering/features of the tire it looks good. On an all black eldorado with chrome I think all that is needed is a nice touring tire that handles well and some good shine to show off its sidewall.

I've always thought about looking up what type of paint can survive on a tire and custom coloring the Pirelli letters red.

Go for the whitewalls to break up all that black. Those Hydroedge do also look good shined up, lots of attractive lettering/lines on there.

Picture:

IPB Image

(shine provided by Meguiars product that body by fisher recommended).

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Archived