CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Warren.... what happened with Ms. Baby?

The Fred

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KHE: The current production Ford Police Interceptors use 460 engines, according to a filling station attendant that I talked to yesterday. There was one in front of me at the pump, and I asked him if it was a 460 and what grade they were using. He said yes, it was a 460, and they were using the middle grade. They were using 87 octane until recently.

He is incorrect. The Ford Crown Victoria PIs use the very same 281 cubic inch V-8 engine the rest of the line uses. It's a 4.6L engine, so maybe he meant "460" as in 4.6. Next time you're there, ask him to pop the hood. You'll see the very same modular OHC engine as the rest of the bunch gets. The PI cars don't even get the DOHC 300 hp engine.

The real Ford 460 engine, the large 7.5L behemoth, has been out of production since it last saw duty in an F-series truck in 1997. A Wikipedia article on the Ford 385 series engines: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_385_engine

Here's an article from Wikipedia on the CVPI cars: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Crown_Vi...ice_Interceptor

Or, straight from the horse's mouth: https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/2006fle...icPoliceInt.asp

Armed with this info, you can go to the filling station and "fill the guy in" so to speak on what the CVPIs really have under the hood! :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Do the Caddies for export (Europe) have different platforms?

I don't think so. They're mostly the same vehicle, but with changes to lighting, option packages, safety equipment, etc. But it's the same basic car.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The 1993-1999 Northstars have a 10.3 compression ratio. Even with aluminum heads and retardes spark, I think you are pushing it to run 87 octane with that compressio ratio. With some carbon build-up, you will have knocking on cranking a hot engine. Then, there's the issue of keeping the injectors clean. Nothing but the best for my baby.

The guru that used to post here said that running regular in the '93-'99 engine would not hurt a thing. 87 octane has enough detergents to keep the injectors clean.

It is all preference - for the maximum performance, use premium gas. I have been using regular in my '96 for six years now and do not notice any loss of performance or fuel economy.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The 1997 service manual lumps the Seville/DeVille/Eldorado together, since they're all on the same platform. The '98 E/K manual dropped the Seville because it went to the G platform for '98.

Yep.

Guess what I ordered on Sunday? That shipped on Monday? That arrived on Thursday? That was half price?

That's right . . . .

Regards,

Warren

post-416-1158387520_thumb.jpg

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

KHE: The current production Ford Police Interceptors use 460 engines, according to a filling station attendant that I talked to yesterday. ..
He is incorrect. ...

JasonA: Thanks. I got what I deserved. The owner at that shop is the guy with the brains.

Do the Caddies for export (Europe) have different platforms?

They have a different speedometer calibration. Euro regulations require that the speedometer be calibrated so that it does not read low, or more than 8% high. US cars have their speeedometers targeted to read right on, with tolerances for tire wear, so they can read low. There is a bit that you can set in the OBD II interface right from the HVAC buttons that will calibrate the speedometer to read higher, and it's set for export models. Of course, you can change that bit yourself.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived