CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I'm Back and she is fixed

princess

Miss me?
well I had some free time on my hands so I got with a buddy of mines I knew from Afghan and we decided to take a part my Northstar after a few overheating incidents on the highway and I am proud to say we have successfully repaired the engine with new head gasket(s) and bolts. Yes, it took us 3 1/2 months but here are the results.
she remains stable at 190F on the highway sometimes 188F unless I'm going up a hill or putting a load on engine like passing then it goes to 192F

The most ive seen is 196F after stopping to pay a toll and then proceeding up a steep long gradient (bay bridge) it returned to 190 proceeding off bridge.

In traffic I have not seen it exceed 226F and that's after being stuck on a bridge for 25 minutes (guess I should stay away from bridges)
I've driven from south jersey to Florida without any issues averaging 22.8 mpg which I am surprised for a 19yr old V8.

98,360 miles

post-26502-0-90145000-1424382545_thumb.g

post-26502-0-16962300-1424382556_thumb.g

Congratulations. You are now an honored member of the Head Leakage Repair DIY Club.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Job well done and good luck in the future. Hope you get to enjoy your Northstar for a long time to come!!

dont remind me lol. retiring mine has me looking for another. I dont like the 95, I dont care for the 97. but I love the 96

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Great news! These cars are extremely reliable and usually require very low maintenance. Sure there are some things that can be quite expensive, but overall they are a great bargain. Especially when one consider the cost per mile. I'm currently on my 3rd Cadillac and have driven almost 220 k miles in them. I drove 50k in my 1988 Eldorado, 50k in my 1993 STS and have put 120k on my 2002 STS. No real issues with them had to replace a burned exhaust valve on my -93. I would really like a new CTS-V but to be realistic I will probably have to wait 10+ years before the price will be in my reach :)

Now some other things to consider:

I'm glad that I had a Cadillac when I was unemployed for three main reasons. One: very low true cost per mile, two: very reliable and trouble-free. Last and not least it always puts a smile on my face when behind the wheel!

On the downside though, people can be quite jealous when you drive an “expensive” car like that and don’t have a job. As if one is unemployed and likes it…

Currently I commute 400 miles per week and still can’t consider another brand. Reliable, usually easy to work on, low maintenance required, lots of power, comfort, road holding ability and well equipped. It’s still able to get 23+ mpg with 140k on the odometer.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived