CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

For the E85 owners out there

JimD

I will pay as much or more for E85 when it gets here, even understanding that I may see reduced mileage with it. Folks on the Chrysler Minivan Fan Club forums who live in the midwest and run it exclusively don't see too much in a drop (certainly not the 30% figure that gets bandied about). I expect about a 10% reduction. So far, though, the price is more than 10% less than regular gasoline, and air emissions burning E85 are much better than straight gas. I'm happy to do it, in the van. I won't even consider converting the Cadillac.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I for one would gladly pay $150 a fillup to help win the war and help re-build New Orleans... Uh, but if only life were that simple.

Just a wild guess here, but you're not a head of household, . . . . are you?

I guess if I answer, "I'm not sure" that translates into "No" :lol:

But I am the primary and sole breadwinner in my family...

My wife is a stay-at-home mom and she happily spends every penny I make :huh::blink::huh:

And then some! :lol:

Apologies for having taken that "shot" at you, but you might understand I thought you had less responsiblities given your willingness to pay that amount.

After all, I'd expect a head-of-household to be less than happy about a $150 fillup, unless that head-of-household is Al Gore.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Apologies for having taken that "shot" at you, but you might understand I thought you had less responsiblities given your willingness to pay that amount.

After all, I'd expect a head-of-household to be less than happy about a $150 fillup, unless that head-of-household is Al Gore.

No apologies necessary! The way I look at it, the more I spend on gas, the less she spends on shoes!

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

No apologies necessary! The way I look at it, the more I spend on gas, the less she spends on shoes!

:lol::lol::lol:

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

The way I look at it, the more I spend on gas, the less she spends on shoes!

Highly unlikely.

Supporting credit card statements are requested.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Regards,

Warren

:lol::lol::lol:

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

So, since this topic switched from why Ethanol is a bad idea, and why crude costs $70.00/bbl to why Al Gore is head of houshold, I suppose nobody cares that most crude comes from Canada. At least now we know why it costs so much. After all, if it were cheaper, it wouldn't justify the expense of making ethanol at all.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

So, since this topic switched from why Ethanol is a bad idea, and why crude costs $70.00/bbl to why Al Gore is head of houshold, I suppose nobody cares that most crude comes from Canada. At least now we know why it costs so much. After all, if it were cheaper, it wouldn't justify the expense of making ethanol at all.

The U.S. is the world's third largest oil producer, after Saudi Arabia and Russia. I don't think "most crude comes from Canada."

Producing ethanol from corn is not very efficient. Producing ethanol from sugar crops is 5-7 times more efficient than producing it from corn crops.

Did anyone earnestly suggest ethanol was a bad idea?

The Al Gore thing was a joke.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

The U.S. is the world's third largest oil producer, after Saudi Arabia and Russia. I don't think "most crude comes from Canada."

Maybe not, but here are stats on US crude oil imports:

The top sources of US crude oil imports for March were Mexico (1.697 million barrels per day), Canada (1.693 million barrels per day), Saudi Arabia (1.313 million barrels per day), Venezuela (1.183 million barrels per day), and Nigeria (1.114 million barrels per day).

Source: http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petrole...ent/import.html

Canada was also the #1 exporter of 'total petrolium products'. BTW, I didnt expect to see Mexico and Nigeria so high on the list :)

-Chris

I think the notion of ethanol = bad is going away in a hurry. And I'm not talking about on here in particular...I mean in general. The falacy that it takes more energy to produce it than it yields has been disspelled enough by now, and I think folks (excepting big oil of course) are realizing that we stand to benefit in a lot of different areas by producing our own energy.

After all, if it were cheaper, it wouldn't justify the expense of making ethanol at all.

And that's been our problem until now. As we know, many of the first gasoline and diesel engines were designed to run on vegetable or peanut oils. But the cheap gasoline has prevailed since. I'm glad gasoline prices are where they are. I hope they rise even further. It's forcing us to at least LOOK AT our fuel source/type, even if change will take a while.

I agree, if oil prices were not so high we would not be having this discussion. Alternatives only come into play when price goes up. I did not here anyone suggesting that Canada and Mexico step up production to offset the Saudi's gouging. I remember a few years ago that OPEC was upset at Russia because they would not curb production to drive prices up. Russia could not curb production due to the pumps freezing up when the were shut down in Siberia.

The same thing happened when price of wood went up. People started looking at steel, the steel market got flooded by import steel and prices went down. Steel mills complained about cheap import steel so politicians put tariffs on import steel to bring prices up. Then Steel Mills were slow to produce more steel in order to drive the prices sky high again.

Moral: Politics and greed play a big role in sky high prices and we are just the ones that get the shaft.

Speaking of Al Gore, I loved the spoof he did on Saturday Night Live about a week ago, it was hilarious.

Speaking of Al Gore, I loved the spoof he did on Saturday Night Live about a week ago, it was hilarious.

That *was* funny.

It's at the bottom of this page if you'd like to see it:

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/05/14.html

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

E85 article on Yahoo

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060522/ap_on_...x_fuel_vehicles

Automakers Warn Against Using E85 Blend By DEE-ANN DURBIN, AP Auto Writer

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

That headline should include the words "...IN THEIR CONVENTIONAL VEHICLES." Funny how that stuff gets chopped off.

That headline should include the words "...IN THEIR CONVENTIONAL VEHICLES." Funny how that stuff gets chopped off.

I don't really see a problem with that. Headlines, by nature, are required to be somewhat terse. There are times a short headline doesn't even make sense to me until I begin to read the body of the story.

I don't think there's a conspiracy afoot here. After all, the E85 vehicle owner is reminded in the very first sentence they need not worry.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

To me, a headline of "Automakers Warn Against Using E85 Blend" is rather alarming, especially since they're producing E85-equipped vehicles. That headline means something completely different to me than "Automakers Warn Against Using E85 Blend In Non-E85 Vehicles" or something like that.

[attachmentid=2569]

At this point, Iowa is the only state that has legislated a point of sale tax break on blended fuel.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Politically Correct Clinton

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060523/ap_on_.../clinton_energy

Sen. Clinton Pitches Ethanol Energy Plan By DEVLIN BARRETT, Associated Press Writer

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Funny how she says right up front that we can't point fingers here and there regarding our energy situation. Then at the end, points fingers at Bush for an apparent absense of presidential leadership regarding domestic automakers. Politics...I love it. <_<

Politics...I love it. <_<

I wonder if any of us will be able to say that in a few months, smilie or not. :(

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Counting on the political ignorance of the electorate. The true underlying power of any (US) President is the ability (or lack of) to persuade / convince the congress to introduce and enact legislation that will accomplish the goal. Only members of congress can introduce a bill for consideration. How many comprehensive energy solution bills has that previously mentioned senator introduced?

It is much easier and safer to criticize and ridicule than to lead.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

It is much easier and safer to criticize and ridicule than to lead.

Sadly, I'm beginning to believe it's become nearly impossible for any politician to "lead," absent a crisis. Members of both major parties seem deeply disappointed in their leadership which they view as most fixed on the next election cycle.

I wonder if that's not one of the unintended consequences of our information revolution?

In a pathetic attempt to remain on topic: did you know that the energy density of ethanol is about 25 megajoules/kilogram (MJ/kg)? Gasoline weighs in at close to 45MJ/kg, making a tankful of 10% ethanol/gasoline contain about 95% of the energy density of a tankful of gasoline.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Thanks at least for thinking about this a little deeper, I think I heard in there, the answer that I was expecting. February numbers from the link to the spreadsheets shows that the most "foreign oil" came from Canada. IF we are lucky, here in the US, we will beat China to the Canadian Athabasca Oil Sands,(total reserves 170 billion barrels) which are a viable source of oil anytime crude is above $50.00/bbl or so. Total Saudi conventional reserves are 175 billion barrels, or 25% of the world's reserves. Politics aparently is played by television networks as well.

And just to confirm:

Politically Correct Clinton

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060523/ap_on_.../clinton_energy

Sen. Clinton Pitches Ethanol Energy Plan By DEVLIN BARRETT, Associated Press Writer

If she's for it, I'm against it.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived