CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

For the E85 owners out there

JimD

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed with interest the repeated references to mash, beer, and wine. If these are pre-combustion byproducts, this company may really have something here. OTOH, maybe they are selling something else entirely. :lol:

I read recently that it can take as much as 1 unit of energy to derive 1.3 units of ethanol energy from corn. As a comparison, 1 unit of energy may produce as much as 8 units of ethanol energy from sugarcane. Probably best/worst case scenarios.

If ethanol shortages are responsible, in part, for high gas prices, you might wonder why the U.S. places a tariff of $0.54/gallon on imported ethanol. Well, that would be between our legislators and U.S. sugarcane growers wouldn't it? Not surprisingly, we don't seem to be importing much ethanol.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I noticed with interest the repeated references to mash, beer, and wine. If these are pre-combustion byproducts, this company may really have something here. OTOH, maybe they are selling something else entirely. :lol:

This is a sure enough ethanol-as-motor-fuel device; even requires a Federal permit to operate on private property. Of course, what you do with the output is your choice LOL.

There is an Associated Press item by Bill Poovey available to your local newspaper editor reporting on the process and the company. And the company is located less than 5 miles from the Jack Daniels distillery!!!

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

And the company is located less than 5 miles from the Jack Daniels distillery!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Any chance a few of the Daniel's cousins own a piece of this business?

Regards,

Warren :P

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I'm still trying to figure out what owners of this equipment will say when the IRS, Fuels Tax Division representative, comes knocking on the door. These are the same people that visit my place quarterly to ensure that no red diesel is being sold as on-road fuel, which would constitute tax evasion. They not only check to see if it is red, they check to see Just How Red it is! The fine is $10.00/gallon plus $10,000.00 per day of use. I think they used to call them "Revenuers". They're still around! Same thing goes for the guys dumping vegetable oil into their diesel cars and trucks....tax evaders.

Little known facts:

The United States already makes more ethanol than the country of Brazil.

Currently 45% of US corn production goes to making ethanol (probably not all of it is used as motor fuel), and a GREAT deal of natural gas.

With ethanol prices in the $2.00/gallon range, somewhere OVER $84.00/barrel, does it make sense to put ethanol into gasoline and suffer from lower fuel economy? Which came first, high gas prices or higher ethanol prices?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

What this retrofit kit doesn't take into account is the increased corrosiveness of ethanol. Just because you may be able to trick the computer, you can't trick the physical materials of the fuel system. They will degrade with alcohol in there.

I'm very excited about alternative fuels, and I DO use E85 in our Grand Caravan, but I won't jeopardize the integrity of the fuel system of a non-flexfuel vehicle. Using E85 isn't about price. It's about so much more.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

All I know is, if prices keep going up, Jack Daniels will soon be a cheaper substitute.

At least it hasn't yet hit the price of bottled water! :P

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

All I know is, if prices keep going up, Jack Daniels will soon be a cheaper substitute.

Regards,

Warren

Yeah, why don't you hear about "obscene profits" when it comes to that?

Regards,

Warren

Because bottled water is an option. You don't have to have 3 gallons of it per day to get to work. If your foolish enough to pay those prices you have no one but yourself to blame.

Because bottled water is an option. You don't have to have 3 gallons of it per day to get to work. If your foolish enough to pay those prices you have no one but yourself to blame.

I haven't been to work in recent weeks, but I do recall the last time gas prices spiked. Several employees remarked they'd have to quit if prices remained high.

One in particular sticks out in my memory: she sipped from a straw on a bottle of a premium branded bottled water just after the complaint. Yep, blonde.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Face it, buying gasoline is an option as well.

Everything affecting how much gasoline we use is a choice we make. What kind of vehicle we drive. How far we live from work. Someone living 40 miles out in the suburbs made that choice to live there, perhaps compared to living in an apartment in the city. Is the quality of life better in the 'burbs, with a yard for the kids to play in, etc? Probably, but we still must recognize that it's a CHOICE that we made.

That's why I'm excited to use alternative fuels, whatever form they may be in. We made a choice when we bought our minivan to buy a flexible fuel model, even when there wasn't an E85 station within 150 miles. Now they're finally trickling in to our area (central North Carolina) and I'm happy to use it.

So I bring your quote back to you. "If you're foolish enough to pay those prices, you have no one but yourself to blame." We all need to look at the choices we're making, and recognize when WE have a part in something and when we don't. Carpool. Drive a Cobalt to work instead of a Cadillac. Take a bus. Bike. Walk. Moped. Horseback. Whatever. ALL of these options won't be viable for everyone. But there are things that we ALL can do to lessen our addiction to petroleum.

With the price of fuel today, the world is suddenly turning into a bigger place. I'd think twice about moving further from work or family. I can't see things getting better anytime soon with that non-renewable resource this country is currently hooked on. Change will take time.

There is some truth to everything you say, except "Face it, buying gasoline is an option as well". I can get by without Evian, but I can't get by without gasoline.

Larry, turn your statement around and say, "I still need some gasoline to continue daily life, but here are the areas where I can cut back..."

Do you own any alternatively fueled vehicles? Do you have an opportunity to carpool to work, even one day a week? Carpooling one day a week is a fuel savings of 20%. Do you or your family actively trip-chain (combining errands into one trip)? Stop going into the drive-thru at McDonalds or the bank...park and go in.

I'm not saying you necessarily have this attitude, but if enough people give in and accept that they can't do anything about it, we will collectively make no progress.

http://www.ethanolstill.com/

This little company could be in the right place at the right time.

The Associated Press article finally appears on a newspaper web site http://www.washingtontimes.com/business/20...11317-7401r.htm

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Buying gasoline may be a choice of ours when it comes to our vehicles, but high gasoline prices affects everything we consume. :o How do you think the consumer goods get to the stores. Trucks, Trains, Airplanes, and Boats all use gasoline of some sort. Unless your Amish, grow your own garden, or have a farm, all of your food, clothing, etc. is going to go up. Shipping prices can not stay the same. When they go up price goes up and it is passed on to us. I have noticed that I am paying about $.50-$1.00 more per McDonalds meal in just the last year. :( Yes I believe E85 is a start. It took Brazil 30 years to become oil independent. I may have to get my Foxfire books out and put a still in the back yard that looks like one of those outside wood heating units. ;) I have heard that poplar wood does not put off much smoke. :D If I remember right Granny, on the Beverly Hillbillys, would run the truck on her Rumatoid arthritis medicene. :lol:

Paul, absolutely. Everyone doing a little is a lot better than a few doing a lot.

Do you own any alternatively fueled vehicles? Do you have an opportunity to carpool to work, even one day a week? Carpooling one day a week is a fuel savings of 20%. Do you or your family actively trip-chain (combining errands into one trip)? Stop going into the drive-thru at McDonalds or the bank...park and go in.

Yup, been carpooling for many years. Likewise with "trip-chaining", though I have never heard that term before.

No alternative fuel vehicles.

Larry, you're already doing more than many people are.

Crisis? What crisis? Fuel use rises, Escalade sales soar.

By Keith Naughton

Newsweek

May 22, 2006 issue - With all the histrionics about rising gas prices coming out of Washington these days, SUVs must be an endangered species in our nation's capital, right? Well, not exactly. At Capitol Cadillac, just inside the Beltway, SUVs are flying off the lot . . . . Jobe's hottest seller, by far, is the newly redesigned chrome-encrusted Cadillac Escalade, an incredible hulk that gets 13mpg in the city. "My biggest problem is not gas prices," says Jobe, "it's getting enough of these trucks."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12777854/site/newsweek/

Go figure . . . .

Posted Image

With ethanol prices in the $2.00/gallon range, somewhere OVER $84.00/barrel, does it make sense to put ethanol into gasoline and suffer from lower fuel economy?

Yes, it makes total sense... Don't you guys watch FOX news?

We are at war with Al Qaeda and the terrorists. Most of whom are (or used to be) Saudis...

The enemies war of terror is funded almost exclusively on Oil...

That's what the President was talking about when he identified that we are addicted to oil... break the addition... (or become addicted to corn or sugarcane instead) and you win the war on terror... no more money... no more jihad...

Another plus, Most sugar cane production in the United States occurs in Florida and Louisiana, ramp up sugarcane production and you help out Louisiana... Win-win!

I for one would gladly pay $150 a fillup to help win the war and help re-build New Orleans...

Uh, but if only life were that simple.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I for one would gladly pay $150 a fillup to help win the war and help re-build New Orleans... Uh, but if only life were that simple.

Just a wild guess here, but you're not a head of household, . . . . are you?

Posted Image

Yes, it makes total sense... Don't you guys watch FOX news?

We are at war with Al Qaeda and the terrorists. Most of whom are (or used to be) Saudis...

The enemies war of terror is funded almost exclusively on Oil...

That's what the President was talking about when he identified that we are addicted to oil... break the addition... (or become addicted to corn or sugarcane instead) and you win the war on terror... no more money... no more jihad...

Another plus, Most sugar cane production in the United States occurs in Florida and Louisiana, ramp up sugarcane production and you help out Louisiana... Win-win!

I for one would gladly pay $150 a fillup to help win the war and help re-build New Orleans...

Uh, but if only life were that simple.

FOX News? You have GOT to be kidding!

Try this for a source of information.

http://api-ec.api.org/newsplashpage/index.cfm

Or better yet, download one of these spreadsheets:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/d...mports/cli.html

Looks like the U.S. Virgin Islands and CANADA are the winners here.

Just a wild guess here, but you're not a head of household, . . . . are you?

I guess if I answer, "I'm not sure" that translates into "No" :lol:

But I am the primary and sole breadwinner in my family...

My wife is a stay-at-home mom and she happily spends every penny I make :huh::blink::huh:

And then some! :lol:

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Archived