CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

gmpartsdirect

Ranger

Some of you may recall not long ago I questioned the part numbers for front brake pads. Well I ordered them from gmpartsdirect on the 7th. On the 14th I finally got an email that the order was proccessed and shipped (allow 7 days for shipping). From here on in, Rockauto will be my first choice. Is that what they call costumer service?

Some of you may recall not long ago I questioned the part numbers for front brake pads. Well I ordered them from gmpartsdirect on the 7th. On the 14th I finally got an email that the order was proccessed and shipped (allow 7 days for shipping). From here on in, Rockauto will be my first choice. Is that what they call costumer service?

Yes, their customers service is very poor, to say least. They even shipped (and charged) a part I did not need. Took a month and a dozen of emails to make them return the money and pick the part up from my home.

www.autopartsgiant.com have similar prices, but I never bought from them . Anyone with such an experience?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

They are slow. I ordered a set of spark plugs from them a year and a half ago and they took two weeks to arrive. They were special order but gmpartsdirect is a GM dealer and whenever I order parts at the local dealer, they are waiting for me the next day.....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Slow indeed. In fact, I still have a set of shift solenoids for the 480TE tranny (brand new, still in the unopened box from these guys). They took so dang long to get here while my '93 STS was benched that I just went out and got them from the dealer. (I couldn't take it any longer, 2+ weeks..)

If anybody can use them , 50 bucks FED X'd to you. Email or PM me. (I've been meaning to put this on the parts board..) ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

UPDATE:

Recieved the pads (with sensors) on the 16th. I guess their shipping is fast .....when they finally get around to proccessing the order.

On another note, I noticed that the pads where beveled at both ends leaving much less rotor contact surface for braking action til they are worn half way down. Anyone know why?

UPDATE:

Recieved the pads (with sensors) on the 16th. I guess their shipping is fast .....when they finally get around to proccessing the order.

On another note, I noticed that the pads where beveled at both ends leaving much less rotor contact surface for braking action til they are worn half way down. Anyone know why?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I read that gm direct was moving to new larger quarters and they might be slow until done.

The bevel is there to stop squeeling.

Bob B

Beveling the pads is supposed to reduce / eliminate squeal. And both ends are beveled so the pad can be used on the left rotor or the right rotor (the pad is not wheel specific).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

GMPartsDirect is why I have Autolite Professional wires on my car now rather than ACDelcos like I wanted. I ordered from them, and they said it'd be a week. Then a week later, they said they were backordered, and it'd be another week. Then I finally couldn't wait anymore (was scheduled to take a road trip) and had to cancel my order and go local. I've never been back (to GMPD) since.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Thank Jim & Bob. Kind thought that was the deal with the bevel. Didn't know about the move though they have been very slow in the past as well.

I was thinking about this bevelled brake pad when I was out before. I just did a search, do you guys thing that bevelled edge is called chamfered? I just found this, what do you think?

The OEM pads have a chamfered corner (angled) that you can see with a flashlight. If there is no chamfer left the pads need to be replaced. BradG

See 100% chamfered on this page

http://www.global4autoparts.com/Products/R..._Quiet_Stop.htm

Here is something interesting:

The design of the pads themselves can also affect the amount of noise produced. A chamfered leading edge on the pads eliminates the sharp edge so the pads will slide across the rotor without grabbing and vibrating. Slotting the pads also increases their flexibility so they can conform more easily to irregularities on the rotor surface to reduce vibration and noise.

Do you guys think that bevelling is chamfering? And if it is, as Ranger said, since there is less contact area is the braking diminished?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

HHHmmm......yeah....

Ordered my Delco fog lamp 880 pigtails from Rockauto.com yesterday...couple of bucks cheaper then GMPartsdirect....

Got an email today....they have been shipped.

I was thinking about this bevelled brake pad when I was out before. I just did a search, do you guys thing that bevelled edge is called chamfered? I just found this, what do you think?

The OEM pads have a chamfered corner (angled) that you can see with a flashlight. If there is no chamfer left the pads need to be replaced. BradG

See 100% chamfered on this page

http://www.global4autoparts.com/Products/R..._Quiet_Stop.htm

Here is something interesting:

The design of the pads themselves can also affect the amount of noise produced. A chamfered leading edge on the pads eliminates the sharp edge so the pads will slide across the rotor without grabbing and vibrating. Slotting the pads also increases their flexibility so they can conform more easily to irregularities on the rotor surface to reduce vibration and noise.

Do you guys think that bevelling is chamfering? And if it is, as Ranger said, since there is less contact area is the braking diminished?

Beveled was my term, but yes, I think beveled and chamfered are one in the same, and yes, they are chamfered at both the leading and trailing edge.

I have to question the chamfering as wear indicator theory since there is an electronic wear indicator. I don't know the reason, but they are the first set of pads I have ever seen like this. My first thought was, why reduce the contact area.

HHHmmm......yeah....

Ordered my Delco fog lamp 880 pigtails from Rockauto.com yesterday...couple of bucks cheaper then GMPartsdirect....

Got an email today....they have been shipped.

And you'll probably have them tomorrow.

The more I think about the caliper set up on the 96 through 98 the more I think that its potentially problematic having two rubber shider bushings in the caliper. There has to be a better way of designing a dependable slider. I think that a lot of us are complaining about pulsating brakes when it may not be typical 'warped' rotors but it might be related to the caliper oscilating back and forth. I have seen the pads on my car worn at an angle. To me having a wider contact on the brake pad would tend to countact that the potential for the caliper to oscilate. By the way, I think the caliper might oscilate because of worn bushings. I ordered the rear bushing kit for my rear calipers today, $40 ouch. But the kit comes with a replacement piston boot. Anyone ever replace a piston boot? Special tool? This is where the manual comes in handy.

Here is a photo of the bushings, I know that 96 through 98 has them, but I don't know how this was handled in other years. If you have other years how do they handle the slider pins, what does your slider pin ride in? Thanks

post-2998-1142660868.jpg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived