CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

which oil?

bobnsue2

I run 10w40 in my 92 Seville and it seems to like it. My car has 151,000 miles on it.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

I'm asking because I am recalling someone mentioning oil that comes in a gallon jug at wallmart, Delo or something ?

Also is it better?

I tried a search of the archives but no luck. or as they say on British lists, No joy!.

Bob B

As I recall the 15W40 is recommended only if you have the "Main Bearing Thump". If not, stick with 10W30. I use Walmart SuperTech in 5 qt. jugs. It has been reported to be pretty good oil from what I have read and is less than $1/qt. to boot.

As I recall the 15W40 is recommended only if you have the "Main Bearing Thump". If not, stick with 10W30. I use Walmart SuperTech in 5 qt. jugs. It has been reported to be pretty good oil from what I have read and is less than $1/qt. to boot.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I don't have the thump yet.

So 10-30 still sounds like the choice.

Bob B

For the 4.x engines (4.1, 4.5, & 4.9), the best oil is the 15W-40 - Rotella, Delo, Delvac are a few brands. They have the highest concentration of antiwear additives which is good for the distributor gear, cam, etc.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

For the 4.x engines (4.1, 4.5, & 4.9), the best oil is the 15W-40 - Rotella, Delo, Delvac are a few brands. They have the highest concentration of antiwear additives which is good for the distributor gear, cam, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK then,

This seems to be the information I remember. Mine isn't thumping yet, but has the miles on it.

Back top 15-40 this time.

Thanks,

Bob B

When bodybyfisher found me my new 4.9L engine he and Bbobynski told me to use rotella 15W-40. I have been since and she seems to love it. As far as I was concerned that was what I should do and I do it.

Main bearing thump is another one of those "internet problems" which is not really a problem. It is caused by the combination of belt tensioner and belt slap that sets up a harmonic bump in the engine. If you don't belive this, the way to prove it is to slaken the belt tensioner while the engine is running, the noise will go away. At any rate, there is no need for 15W-40 in a 4.9 or high mileage oil, or anything other than what the owners manual calls for.

If it calls for 10W-30, SM Havoline has about the most moly out there right now, and as good a base stock as any being produced, it is particularly good for flat tappet engines such as the ones Cadillac made up until M/Y 2000. Second choice, Pennzoil.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

JohnnyG, normally I would agree with you 100% to go by the book, but the 4.9 can (and mine did) suffer from the number one main bearing knock especially in the summer months when the oil was hot and really thinned out. I found using 10W40 really really helped and had long conversations with bbobynski about it. The 4.9 is not built to the tolerances that the NS is and can use the heavier oils with ease, they spec'd 10W30 for fuel efficiency reasons I believe. Anyway with 10W40 my knock was non-existent.. Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Let's not forget the book (mine at least) was written some 15 years ago.

A lot of new stuff has been developed or improved sinse, including motor oil.

P.S. I cannot believe it! Only 10 replies on an oil subject! LOL

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Body, I know what you're saying, and in some cases the knock can get annoying. In your case, I would look for an oil that gives you the best of both worlds, such as a few synthetics made today. Heavily modified base stocks are available, but can sometimes be expensive. One example of this is Castrol Synthetic 0W-30. The viscosity at 100C is about 12.2 cSt, which is at the low end of a 40 weight, but its cold start pumpability is far superior to common 10W-40's, particularly "diesel service oils", hence the 0 rating and very little fuel economy penalty. (I know some purists will pick me off on that last statement, I know the 0W rating comes from viscosity@40C, but this is just an example) Drawbacks are $4.00 per quart, and not always easy to find.

In the original post in question, I don't belive there is a front main thump, or at least it is not objectionable, so why take a hit on fuel economy to solve a non-problem? And once again, a little research might reveal a 10W-30 that is slightly heavier at 100C than others, Havoline or Chevron come to mind, which would be perfect for the 4.9. Both of these oils use a modified base stock which would be considered "synthetic" by some marketers, without the cost increase associated with the word synthetic or "high mileage" printed on the bottle.

P.S. adallac, we might not be done yet!

I saw 15-40 and it seems to be for diesels. Is this what I want for my 4.9?

Bob B

Yes, Delvac 15W40 was designed for diesels. Bbobynski recommended it for the 4.9

The #1 main bearing knock sounded like crap, it was annoying and embarrassing driving a car that looked like this with a LOUD knock... The knock is not internet folk lore it is something that you can hear for sure, and yes while it is benign and harmless, I don't like NOISE like that coming from the engine. I ALMOST fixed the bearing myself but since it was harmless and just a nuisance as Bbobynski stated, I controlled it with a heavier oil.. By the way, many of you didn't have the HONOR of knowing and conversing Bbobynski and there are no threads left from him so you could share in his knowledge, but if he said DELVAC was OK, it was OK... If there was ANY danger of using a heavier weight oil in the 4.9, Bbobynski would have cautioned against it... Personally I only needed to use about 2 quarts 10W40 and the rest as 10W30 and that fixed my knock... I only used enough heavier weight oil that would quiet the noise. Personally I would never use synthetic and the high mileage oils have helped my 96's oil usage, but that's me

post-2998-1141574200.jpg

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I would use 15W-40 in the 4.9 regardless if it were knocking or not. The reason is that it has the highest concentration of antiwear additives which are needed for the cam, distributor gear, etc. Today's 10W-30 does not have the same amount of antiwear additive that 10W-30 did in the early 1990s. With roller cam followers and lack of distributor gears, the amount of antiwear additives could be safely reduced.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

KHE, If by "anti wear additives" you mean ZDDP, you are correct, they are lower in SM auto engine oil made these days for one very good reason.....they poison the catalytic converter. Engines that use "some" oil should avoid heavy ZDDP concentrations, such as those found in the diesel oils. In SM oil, the ZDDP has been replaced with moly, antimony, and Boron which has less effect on converters.

I was referring to ZDP as the antiwear additive. I rember the guru advising the use of 15W-40 in the 4.x engines for the reasons stated in my earlier posts.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

...By the way, many of you didn't have the HONOR of knowing and conversing Bbobynski and there are no threads left from him ...

I've wondered why none of his post are available. I've gone back (from time-to-time from the period when bbob was here) and I can still find my old ones. Curious?

Kinda' ironic, the last post(s) I remember from him (was a long one at that that) was on the subject line of unions last spring or early summer if I recall correctly and became somewhat contentious!

Jim

...By the way, many of you didn't have the HONOR of knowing and conversing Bbobynski and there are no threads left from him ...

I've wondered why none of his post are available. I've gone back (from time-to-time from the period when bbob was here) and I can still find my old ones. Curious?

Kinda' ironic, the last post(s) I remember from him (was a long one at that that) was on the subject line of unions last spring or early summer if I recall correctly and became somewhat contentious!

Jim

He is quite active on the other board (under several user names). Hopefully we will be honored to see him here some day. :)

P.S. please do not ask for additional info.

You know, I would love to frequent that other board because of who is there, I just find that board hard to navigate, and the tone is different, is it me?

You know, I would love to frequent that other board because of who is there, I just find that board hard to navigate, and the tone is different, is it me?

Mike,

I do frequent that other board (only 4.* section). I would say this great board (caddyinfo.com) is mostly Northstar-related (correct me if I am wrong). A lot of 4.* owners up there, and some of them are pretty good. Well...the tone sometimes maybe "different", which is not good of course. But my all time advice would be ignoring mean or arrogant people.

Thanks

Jim

He is quite active on the other board (under several user names). Hopefully we will be honored to see him here some day. :)

P.S. please do not ask for additional info.

Hmm, I have seen him there only under one name and not too often at that. Maybe he is in a section I don't frequent.

The last post I saw was in Northstar Performance and Technical Discussion (of course!) on 3/9/06 at 11:58 PM.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived