CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My 91 Eldo just DIES !

bschelle

Going down the road my 91 Eldo just dies. No codes show up. I let it sit for a couple of minutes and it usually starts. Today it did it and it took a while to start. It is as if it is out of gas. It would chug and then die. After 10 tries it started and runs fine. Again no codes. Also when I get gas there is a lot of air pressure in the tank and it blows back when I take the gas cap off. Do you think it is related to my stalling? I have 115,000 miles on her and I did a complete tune up with fuel filter at about 105,000.

Is it pressure or vacuum in the tank when the cap is removed?

Definetly pressure. I can feel it blowing on my hand when I remove the cap. I also got a eo48 egr code today and I plan on replcing the valve tomorrow.

Is it pressure or vacuum in the tank when the cap is removed?

Definetly pressure. I can feel it blowing on my hand when I remove the cap. I also got a eo48 egr code today and I plan on replcing the valve tomorrow.

Cleaning two EGR tubes inside the throttle body is usually enough to get rid of 48 code. Replacing EGR valve is a good idea too because of its age. Nevertheless, the tubes , TB bores and blades (the backsides) should be cleaned with carbb cleaner, tooth brush, and a stiff wire in any case. You probably have a spark knock at slight throttle when engine is hot.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The tubes, bores and blade are spotless. Do you think the EGR could cause the phantom dieing situation?

I do not think so, unless the EGR valve is stuck open. You can "operate" the valve getting under it with your finger. Pushing the diafragm up and down could help. Something likely wrong with fuel supply. You have done tune up. What exactly was done?

The tubes, bores and blade are spotless. Do you think the EGR could cause the phantom dieing situation?

I do not think so, unless the EGR valve is stuck open. You can "operate" the valve getting under it with your finger. Pushing the diafragm up and down could help. Something likely wrong with fuel supply. You have done tune up. What exactly was done?

I replaced the wires, plugs, pcv, all filters and trans filter!

Have you checked your Fuel Pressure Regulator? Pull the hose and see if gas comes out wher you pressurize the system. Try a fuel pressure gage also. Check for loose or corroded battery terminals also.

Just another idea and maybe no related but...

I had an '85 Buick that did the same thing and it ended up being the fuel pump itself.

It was explained to me that these pumps use the fuel to keep cool and if the car is allowed to run lower than1/4 full (pump is inside the tank); they wear faster and failure isn't always full; sometimes they react as yours (and mine) did.

As I said, just a thought.

Good luck

MP

Just another idea and maybe no related but...

I had an '85 Buick that did the same thing and it ended up being the fuel pump itself.

It was explained to me that these pumps use the fuel to keep cool and if the car is allowed to run lower than1/4 full (pump is inside the tank); they wear faster and failure isn't always full; sometimes they react as yours (and mine) did.

As I said, just a thought.

Good luck

MP

The fuel pump may be on its way out but running lower than 1/4 tank will NOT hurt the pump. The pump is cooled via fuel flowing through the pump, not because it has to be submurged in fuel. You can cause increased wear on the pump by running the car out of fuel and then attempting to start the car repeatedly.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I agree, I would attach a fuel pressure guage to the windshield and watch it when she dies to see if it is pump related as others have noted

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I will test the fuel pressure as soon as the weather breaks!

You need to get a gauge with pretty long hose to be able to attach it to the windshield. Would a piece of clay keep it attached to the hood? I would not hesitate to check it out, but you may be concerned with the paint.

I had a local hydraulic shop remove the cheesy 12" hose off my tester and fab up a new 4-foot hose for less than $7.00. Use duct tape to temporarly attach it to the windshield.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived