CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Top Speed Cutout

Well, My '98 STS cut's out at 130mph. No Z rated option here. And I'm sure plenty of other people have the same thing. Now, I know there is no way to hack these cars, but is it as easy as I've found some other cars. Like cutting a wire to the PCM?? Do these cars work like that? Keep the PCM thinking you're going "0" but the intrument panel still saying your speed? That's pretty much how it works right? Or is it pretty much, lose the limiter, lose the gauge? I bet it is.. <_<

IPB Image

Well, you've answered all your own questions.

I like that in a post. ;)

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

It's not possible to do, unless you're a Cadillac dealer with OBDII access into the code. You might talk a dealer into it if you showed up running Z rated tires, and somehow got the guy to trust you to the point where he may be assuming liability when you stuff the car into a pole at 140 mph....If it didn't come from the factory with z rated tires and the programing for a higher top speed...good luck...

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

If yours goes to 130, that's pretty good! Mine tops out around 110, and that's flying as far as I'm concerned. Keep in mind your black boxes record all the relevant data (including speed) when the air bags deploy. Pretty hard to talk your way out of your responsibility and liability if you hit something at supersonic speed. ;)

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I thought there was a chip you could buy? Superchip .com or something like that? I recall $200.

Mike

After 1995 they went to OBDII, no chip , the dealer is the only way :(

Joe

Keep in mind your black boxes record all the relevant data (including speed) when the air bags deploy.  Pretty hard to talk your way out of your responsibility and liability if you hit something at supersonic speed. ;)

A point that should be well taken (assuming you live through it).

Mine goes to 130mph. How do I know that? I looked inside the driver's door and read the OEM tire rating. That's all the proof I need. It won't likely EVER hit that speed with me behind the wheel. :D:D:P

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

You can find out about the 'black boxes' here....

http://www.airbagcrash.com

The boxes are not black.....they are not hidden in the frame rails.....its really the air bag SDM module....

The boxes are not black.....they are not hidden in the frame rails.....its really the air bag SDM module....

C'mon Logan,

You're taking all the fun outta this! :lol:

Regards,

Warren

P.S. Interesting info, though.

Posted Image

It's not possible to do, unless you're a Cadillac dealer with OBDII access into the code. You might talk a dealer into it if you showed up running Z rated tires

I thought that all STS' came with Z rated tires, or was that an option in the 98+ STS cars? I thought all SLS' were limited to 110 MPH, and all STS' are limited to 155 MPH.

If you're stuck on going faster I would try BOB D's suggestion of putting on some Z rated tires and tell them to turn it up. Or go in there and tell them you want to buy a set of Z rated tires from them and ask before doing anything more if they would turn the speed limiter up to 155 MPH.

Spence

[i thought that all STS' came with Z rated tires, or was that an option in the 98+ STS cars?

If I remember correctly Z rated tires, with a 155 mph speed limiter was standard for '93 and '94 STS's. From '95 on (due to customer complaints about a harsh ride..) Z rated tires became an option.

** Like 'sevillests' suggested above, it really might help your case to have a VIN# from the same year/model that came with factory Z rated tires.

My doubts come from the present state of excessive frivolous litigation in this country. Personal injury lawyers are looking for just this kind of case...a dealer with potential deep pockets that modfied a customers car that was involved in a wreck. Not too many want to assume ANY hint of liability these days... <_<

user posted image

So are you saying that if you had a tech II you can change your speed limiter?

Not going to happen…Only the dealers have the proprietary access codes to get into the software for reprogramming. It has heavy encryption to prevent any outside tampering.

user posted image

Well yes....you need the GM Tech 2. But you also need a GM Techline terminal that has the PCM software.

The Tech 2 is simply used as a passage way between the PCM and the Techline terminal.

You can buy into GM programing systems. In other words....for enough $$$ you can be programming PCMs in your garage tomorrow.

Strange but true....the Tech 2 cannot access the 'black box' crash data. Most dealers dont even know about it...

Most dealers will NOT bypass the standard program. Z rated tires or not. Simply way too much liability.

We use to have the GM Techline terminal programming equipment. We would not touch it.

Archived