CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Objectionable posts

Bruce,

After yesterdays apalling display of ignorance on the board, I was wondering if there could be some mechanisim devised that would temporarily block reported posts until they could be reviewed.

The way that I envision this is if a particular post was reported by two or more members, it would trigger a automatic block of that post until reviewed by the moderator.

If the mechanisim required input from at least two different members, then the blocking feature couldn't easily be abused.

In last night's episode, an individual joined with the express purpose of creating discord on this board. The posts were insulting to all in general and to three members directly.

I realize that this kind of thing dosen't happen often, but I am a member of another board where this kind of thing got out of hand.

If a malicious poster saw his posts removed in this manner, then it would discourage such behavior. As an added feature the mechanisim could be constructed to remove and store all his subsequent entries in a file for review. If after review, the moderator could either block the member or allow the posts to be seen.

I am not a programmer, so I don't have a clue on how to accomplish this.

I and several others were wishing that we had a way to curtail last night's posts while they were happening.

Thanks for all the work that you do on this board. :)

Britt Misker (Navion)

Britt

Thank you for your suggestion. I am always happy to hear when people have ideas for improvements.

In this case, as often happens, the person registered a new ID to a false email address, and spammed 4 offensive posts. The posts got reported by multiple people, and the account was suspended I think the same day as created.

There are a couple of extra security/tracking type things that I have done to help me recognize troll accounts. I prefer not to detail the exact things. I shy away from having new registrations reviewed prior to allowing posts, which is an option, as we have people register every day. I want the board to be easy to deal with, register for, post, and enjoy. To date our actual troll rate has been very low in my opinion.

Some accounts/members it was easy to decide to suspend immediately, especially joke or false accounts. Occasionally I have put a real account on 'moderate only' which means that I have to read every post they make and approve before it goes onto the board. Some of those type readers smoothen out and become good community members. Some stop posting and go to a forum they prefer, which I think works best for all.

I think the next step might be to have one or two more moderators, who are empowered to remove obviously offensive posts/material. Then any gray area stuff they could leave for me to decide on, or handle.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Bruce, if you get to the point of asking for self-nominations for additional post moderators, I will volunteer for the job.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Some sites stop people from registering with bogus E-mail addresses by confirming the address as part of the registration process. The registrant is asked for, among other things, his or her E-mail address. The registration process can be completed only by logging off then responding to an E-mail automatically sent to the registrant from the site host.

If the host or software for this site is capable of doing that, it would solve the fake E-mail address problem.

One of the nice things about this forum is that it is so easy to join and participate in. Any safeguard put in place to protect against misuse tends to reduce the easy access advantage. Moderation requires a lot of time on somebody's part and slows down the posting process. Perhaps an automatic blocking system triggered by more than one complaint as suggested by Navion would be a good idea (if it's possible, given our host's site capabilities).

Unfortunately, it isn't a perfect world and there are trouble makers out there both on and off the internet. It does take two to tango and malcontents can't stir things up unless they get a response. For this reason, I try to avoid participating in this type of fracas. Any arguement, name-calling, or clever put-down only gives satisfaction to the trouble maker. What he or she doesn't want is to be ignored and that's exactly what we should all try to do.

This is a great site. I hope we don't let the occasional malcontent mess it up for the rest of us.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

You might also not allow free email services, like hotmail, most people have paid email thru theyre isp. They are not as likely to spread spam with the paid ones. I have a nuke site, it works great when I enable it.

That would not work though because younger people like me :D who still live at home with there parents do not have that because they use there parents computer! My mom wouldnt want a hole bunch of messages from the site coming up on her email! The latest poll shows how many young people that use this site that would use an email such as yahoo, or hotmail! just my 2 cents!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

QUOTE (robertr994 @ Mar 31 2005, 09:44 AM)

You might also not allow free email services, like hotmail, most people have paid email thru theyre isp. They are not as likely to spread spam with the paid ones. I have a nuke site, it works great when I enable it. 

That would not work though because younger people like me  who still live at home with there parents do not have that because they use there parents computer! My mom wouldnt want a hole bunch of messages from the site coming up on her email! The latest poll shows how many young people that use this site that would use an email such as yahoo, or hotmail! just my 2 cents!

Yea a big 10-4, I only use my Hotmail account for everything and that would for sure put a hinderance on my participation on the board. Just my $0.02.

Spence

Ditto here. I use Hotmail because of the freedom it allows me (I'm not tied to any particular isp) and it has decent filters. Send/Receive e-mail verification is the way to go.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

• 3 weeks later...

Archived