CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

RKE range very limited

nitrous1

The remote keyless entry system on my STS has never really had a very good range. I've replaced the batteries in both transmitters, so I know they are good, but I have to be almost on top of the car for the remotes to work. Sometimes I can be standing in the doorway between the house and attached garage, and the remotes will not lock/unlock the car. Also, the #1 remote has decided that it won't work unless I bang it against my hand a few times first. I've tried taking the remote apart and cleaning it, but it still doesn't work very well. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks

Dan

Take the remote apart and inspect the circuit board for fractured solder joints. Mine had a fractured joint on a resistor (or capacitor - I can't remember). Once I soldered it back in place, the remote functioned properly again. Remember to use rosin core (electronic) solder.

For some reason, the button contacts on the '96-'97 remotes get dirty very quickly. My '93 Fleetwood remote works just as good today as it did when the car wass brand new but it has a different style of remote.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Mine has always had a short range too. Like Kevin, my '97 remote had a broken solder joint (that rendered it completely broken), and once I fixed it, it worked again...but only from a maximum of 10-15 feet. And I have to really "squeeze" the button sometimes. The circuit board is clean and clear. No clue.

A guy at work, who has an '02 Deville with a remote that looks identical to mine, can unlock his from inside the building. I don't know what's going on. It must be our particular units for some reason because others seem to work well.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

My '97 also has a very short range. This was discussed some time back and I think it was determined that it is the nature of the beast in certain years, one of them being '97. Actually I prefer it that way because one of the complaints was guys opening trunks inadvertantly by the key fob bouncing around in their pockets. Not something you want to see (trunk open) when you walk out of work or the house at 0500. I consider it a blessing in disguise.

Broken solder joints are really common. Also greasy keypads.

Another trick....

Hold the remote agaist the side of your chin as you activate it. You can go from 20 feet to 200 feet.

Try it...it works.

Hold the remote agaist the side of your chin as you activate it. You can go from 20 feet to 200 feet.

Try it...it works.

:huh: Are you just trolling to see how many bites you get? :P

It works. Get a long empty street. Go as far as you can go unlocking normally. Once you are out of range....go another 20-30 feet and try the chin trick. The car will unlock.

Its easier to test in the dark, you can see the dome lights come on. I can unlock a GM car from 7 houses away.

Go fish.

It works. Get a long empty street. Go as far as you can go unlocking normally. Once you are out of range....go another 20-30 feet and try the chin trick. The car will unlock.

Its easier to test in the dark, you can see the dome lights come on. I can unlock a GM car from 7 houses away.

Go fish.

OK, I'll give it a shot when I leave work in 1 1/2 hrs. Will post back the results.

Go fish.

OK, I'll give it a shot when I leave work in 1 1/2 hrs. Will post back the results.

OK Logan, I tried it walking across an open parking lot. Held the backside of the key fob up to the side of my chin and pressed the button. My vision blurred a bit, might have picked up an AL-QUEDA operative talking on a cell phone (not sure) and I think I even felt a little tingle south of the boarder :lol: but the doors did not unlock any sooner. Infact I had to get right next to the rear door before they would open.

Another trick....

Try it...it works.

What causes the greasy keypads? Are the rubber buttons deteriorating?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Another trick....

Try it...it works.

What causes the greasy keypads? Are the rubber buttons deteriorating?

My remote was greasy inside when I took it apart. Does anyone know what causes this?

Yes, the back of the number pads begin to deteriorate or break down over time. You can replace with a new pad, but I am not sure how to 'reseal' or prevent the problem.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I didn't know that the pad was available separately.

The pad itself provides the seal between the two halves of the remote.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Bruce, do you know if you can go to a dealership and ask for a remote pad? I'd be interested in replacing mine...just to get the lock/unlock symbols back (they've worn off)! I wouldn't imagine they'd sell you a pad separately, but maybe they will. I might call and ask.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I also wish Logan would offer just loose pads as a product (*hint hint*) ;)

that way whether the symbols had worn off the front or the magnetic pad deteriorated off the back you could get it 'freshened'.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Jason,

If you go to the dealership and they do sell only the pad, they will charge you a ridiculous price for it. I asked for 1 fastner for my wheel well cover and they wanted over $4 for a single fastener. I went to a local body chop and they gave me a handfull for free. It can't be more than a 50 cent part.

Anyways, I would recomment going to Ebay and buying a mint condition remote for about $9 and salvaging the pad from it. That's what I did and have a spare remote to boot.

Tom R.

1998 Cadillac STS with 102K Miles

Go fish.

OK Logan, I tried it walking across an open parking lot. Held the backside of the key fob up to the side of my chin and pressed the button. My vision blurred a bit, might have picked up an AL-QUEDA operative talking on a cell phone (not sure) and I think I even felt a little tingle south of the boarder :lol: but the doors did not unlock any sooner. Infact I had to get right next to the rear door before they would open.

Well, I tried it again today (daylight) in a parking lot. This time I held the buttons toward my chin (after making sure no one was watching) and damned if it didn't open a little farther away. Still think I heard voices though :lol: This is going to take a little more testing.

I have never heard of the pads being available.

As for Davedogs remotes....extremely rare Delcos...'92 option only.

Davedog...the latter 729 or 734 remote may work on your system. Find a bud that has the latter remote and see if your car will 'see' them.

Larry G., The under the chin trick does work sometimes. I have found that if you want it to work all the time & extend the distence you have to stick out you tongue at the same time. Also I think jumping into the air while doing the chin & tongue trick will add distence. I'm sure it will clear an area around you.

As for Davedogs remotes....extremely rare Delcos...'92 option only. Davedog...the latter 729 or 734 remote may work on your system. Find a bud that has the latter remote and see if your car will 'see' them.

The 10178734s and 10269729s seem to be equivalent to 22100945 (Delco-branded ALPS, at least for 1991-92 E/K models).

The remote trick must only work with people with auras. Maybe thats why I should have named my cat 'shadow'....everywhere I go he goes. Maybe he knows something I dont....LOL

The chin trick does work! You need a clear area....200-250 feet is a easy hit! I should mention, that was on the '93 SLS. I have not tested this on the '01 fake DTS.

while I haven't tried the "chin" method thus far, I'd say mine go at least 30ft. I have no problem unlocking my 92 eldo from inside my house.

I will have to live up to the true geek that I am and get some actual before and after measurments.... B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Archived