CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Plastic is peeling

OK, Let us know how you make out. It's pretty easy to do.. Again, The hardest thing is getting the tape around the shifter handle hole. I've done a bunch of them, but still have a hard time around that darn hole...

How have you done a buch of them? Do the wear really easy or something? I wonder why they peeled in the first place? I have tried to get my shifter off before and have found no pin of any sort! Is this because I am not looking in the right place? Do you have to rip up the whole console to reach the pin? Can you put a 96 shifter on a 93? Sorry about all the questions but I was just curious! :huh:

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I buy and sell a lot of Caddys and had to repair a lot of those. I'm looking to buy a 94 Eldorado with 59K and it needs it done also..

If you have the original shifter handle, The pin is on the side closest to the radio about half way down.. it's shaped like a " U " Put the car in low gear and you'll be able to see the back side of the shifter better.. Remember to keep your foot on the brake ;)

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

OK, Let us know how you make out. It's pretty easy to do.. Again, The hardest thing is getting the tape around the shifter handle hole. I've done a bunch of them, but still have a hard time around that darn hole...

How have you done a buch of them? Do the wear really easy or something? I wonder why they peeled in the first place? I have tried to get my shifter off before and have found no pin of any sort! Is this because I am not looking in the right place? Do you have to rip up the whole console to reach the pin? Can you put a 96 shifter on a 93? Sorry about all the questions but I was just curious! :huh:

Yenko there is alot of this model cars that the thing peels on them! I have not seen one in person that is between the years of 93-95. Every one that I have seen in person the thing has peeled on it. I know someone with a 95 and it's peeled the parts car that i have is a 95 it's peeled on that I have seen a few at a dealership I think 2 94's and a 93 all of the things on those were peeled as well. It is vey annoying it looks awful and it totally bugs me.

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I think it's just the way there desighned and put together. Just a guess but thats what I figure and I don't know how you never seen one like that before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :huh:

user posted image

I have seen more than a few 93-95 STS's and none of them were peeling! I have never seen anything like this before now! What causes them to peel in the first place? ;)

The indicator assembly has a self coiling slider strip that consists of pressure sensitive tape bonded to a self coiling metal strip. After 10-12 years..., the tape separates and peels as you have noticed.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have seen more than a few 93-95 STS's and none of them were peeling! I have never seen anything like this before now! What causes them to peel in the first place? ;)

The indicator assembly has a self coiling slider strip that consists of pressure sensitive tape bonded to a self coiling metal strip. After 10-12 years..., the tape separates and peels as you have noticed.

I wonder why mine has not started peeling yet? I hope it does not happen anytime soon! :o

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

I was looking at it last night and it is still showing no signs of peeling! If it does peel at least I will know how to fix it! :D

Well your right there thanks to all these guys on Caddyinfo.com!!!!! :lol:

user posted image

So how did you make out? Done yet?

Well not yet it's -25 outside the last few days and now it's pooring with rain i'll wait till the weekend and if i get a chance i will get started at it.

user posted image

I thought you had a garage! Couldn't you do it in there!

I told you thats my garage is a mess and my dads has 2 feet of snow leading up to the doors explain to me what you think I should do clear out all that snow, clean the other 1 car garage or wait until the weather clears up? LOL!!!! :lol:;)

user posted image

Hi there I am new to the bored and I have been folowing this topic that is at hand. I have a question for you fellows. Where do you get this plastic tape see my 93 has done the same thing on me and I would like to try that out. I no you get it at a hardware store but where in the store would it be located? I went in there one day and I asked the desk where it would be and they looked at me as if I were crazy! So my question to you is what is it really for and what section would you think it should be under? THANKS

Jason

Logan posted this on the first page of this thread.

Try ACE hardware. Its black plastic tape....about a 1.5 inches wide.

Once you get the ribbon out of the cartridge......the ribbon is about 1 foot long. It naturally wants to roll up on its own. It will be easier to clamp the ribbon down as you try to put the tape on.

--------------------

Logan Diagnostic

http://www.airbagcrash.com

http://www.ledfix.com

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Yes I did go into that store and I asked the salesmen were it would be located he never new and then he brought over another gentlemen and he responded to me that he had no idea of what it was. So my question is what part of the store should I be looking for this in? Is it for painting or you know like what is it's real purpose it's not meant for this is it I checked the automotive section and it wasn't there either.

Where would it be at in the store?

Jason :rolleyes:

Its simply black plastic tape.....not rocket science.

I bought mine at a near by ACE hardware.

I did buy some other stuff at Pep Boys.....it was 'trim black out tape.'

Both should work ok....

Basically just get a black tape that's not to shinny like the black electrical tape. That's way to shinny looking. I think I actually got the trim black out tape that Logan said, but got it at Discount auto.. The first few I did I got the tape at a Lowes store. The tape has a semi gloss textured type look to it. I was even gonna try a black gaffers tape, but that looks a little to dull. Armor All will make it look better but, may eventually soak in and break down the glue..

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

I just simply went in and asked a sales person they new what I was talking about right away maybe you just got the wrong person.

user posted image

I bet it would not be that hard if you even took a look yourself! All it seems to be is black tape. Any hardware store must have some line of black tape! If you cant find it there than I suggest you start looking for some other hardware stores that might carry it....... :D

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

I bet it would not be that hard if you even took a look yourself! All it seems to be is black tape. Any hardware store must have some line of black tape! If you cant find it there than I suggest you start looking for some other hardware stores that might carry it....... :D

Ya but the problem is that you can't have glossy tape and thats hard to find! But if he went in and said that he wanted plastic tape like I did the salesperson should be able to direct him to where it is!

user posted image

That is why I suggested that he look himself!

I thought you were talking to me my bad!

user posted image

Archived