CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Plastic is peeling

Okay here is my problem and I have noticed that it is a problem with some other people some may just be able to let it go but little things like this just bug the hell outa me so as you can see in the pic below the plactic that surrounds where the shifter knob is has started to peel I may be able to get a better pic up here this isn't my car my digital camera is not working right now so this is the best I could find!!!!!! Any suggestions appreiciated! :) Thanks.

post-3-1105248139.jpg

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would bug the hell out of me too. It's hard to see what it is, but some testors model paint might help hide it. It would be far from perfect, but it would help a lot. Other than that, you need a replacment part.

Where do you think that replacement part could come from and how much do you think it would cost me?

user posted image

The black ribbon is like a tape deck reel to reel. Replacements used to be available...but now is only available as the complete shifter.

The fix is.....dismantle the shifter. Peel off the old broken plastic tape from the metal ribbon. Then use new black plastic tape (not electrical tape). You will have to trim the tape around the nub around the shifter.

check out...DUPLICOLOR

Im using one of their automotive applications for the custom intake im building.....

They have ALOT of paints in cans and their new spray button allows for factory looking applications....

You could also get chrome in a bottle and gold in a bottle.....possiblities are endless....

I know your not doin the whole interior but here is an example of a dash being done....looks factory.

allsilver01.jpg

The black ribbon is like a tape deck reel to reel. Replacements used to be available...but now is only available as the complete shifter.

The fix is.....dismantle the shifter. Peel off the old broken plastic tape from the metal ribbon. Then use new black plastic tape (not electrical tape). You will have to trim the tape around the nub around the shifter.

Where can I find plastic tape? I have never seen it before.

user posted image

check out...DUPLICOLOR

Im using one of their automotive applications for the custom intake im building.....

They have ALOT of paints in cans and their new spray button allows for factory looking applications....

You could also get chrome in a bottle and gold in a bottle.....possiblities are endless....

I know your not doin the whole interior but here is an example of a dash being done....looks factory.

allsilver01.jpg

That was an excelent site but I'm just not sure if paint is the way to go. I like the sound of what Logan is talking about if only I can find it.

user posted image

Try ACE hardware. Its black plastic tape....about a 1.5 inches wide.

Once you get the ribbon out of the cartridge......the ribbon is about 1 foot long. It naturally wants to roll up on its own. It will be easier to clamp the ribbon down as you try to put the tape on.

Try ACE hardware. Its black plastic tape....about a 1.5 inches wide.

Once you get the ribbon out of the cartridge......the ribbon is about 1 foot long. It naturally wants to roll up on its own. It will be easier to clamp the ribbon down as you try to put the tape on.

Alright I'll go out and look for it tommorow night thanks for the help I hope I can find it and I hope it works! :D

user posted image

I fixed many of these. I just went to Lowes and got a nice textured black tape and re did it. You do have to take the housing apart. Once you pull the pin out of the shifter handle and pull the housing out, Just take a razor blade and cut all the tabs off the bottom of the housing and the thing will come apart. Peel off all the old tape.. I used lacquer thinner to get all the old glue off and then put the new tape on. It's a little tricky around the shifter hole. Also, If you have a bench to work on, When you get it all apart and spread the band out, There are holes at both ends. Take a couple of thumb tacks and stick it in the holes. That will make it very easy to clean and re tape it. When I put it all back together, I was able to pop the housing back together pretty tight.. I did put a little silicone or glue in the corners to keep it together. Just use enough to keep it together, But not a lot, in case you have to re do it again some day.. :)

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

I fixed many of these. I just went to Lowes and got a nice textured black tape and re did it. You do have to take the housing apart. Once you pull the pin out of the shifter handle and pull the housing out, Just take a razor blade and cut all the tabs off the bottom of the housing and the thing will come apart. Peel off all the old tape.. I used lacquer thinner to get all the old glue off and then put the new tape on. It's a little tricky around the shifter hole. Also, If you have a bench to work on, When you get it all apart and spread the band out, There are holes at both ends. Take a couple of thumb tacks and stick it in the holes. That will make it very easy to clean and re tape it. When I put it all back together, I was able to pop the housing back together pretty tight.. I did put a little silicone or glue in the corners to keep it together. Just use enough to keep it together, But not a lot, in case you have to re do it again some day.. :)

Thanks alot but I still have one question where is the pin at? I have had the wood grain surrounding the shifter knob out but I could not figure out how it comes off? If you or anyone else could explain how it comes apart in a little better detail that would be great. I am going to check Canadian tire and Home Depot tommorow for the plastic tape.

Thanks for the advice.

user posted image

I would peel the stuff that is still on their off, and try painting it with a matching interior paint. If that doesnt look good you can just remove it and try something else. You dont have anything to lose.

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

I would peel the stuff that is still on their off, and try painting it with a matching interior paint. If that doesnt look good you can just remove it and try something else. You dont have anything to lose.

I like the idea of the plastic tape I just need help on how to get the shifter knob off!!!!!!!!!!

user posted image

Just yank at it untill it comes off! :P Do a search I think there is a topic about how to get the shifter off.

Thaks for the advice! Never thought of that!

user posted image

That year version does not pop off. On the front of the shifter handle is a slot. In this slot there is a staple style retainer clip. Pull this staple out and the shifter knob will come right off.

That year version does not pop off. On the front of the shifter handle is a slot. In this slot there is a staple style retainer clip. Pull this staple out and the shifter knob will come right off.

Thanks Logan I'll try to see if I can get it off tonight. I need the car this afternoon I am going to get the tape tonight I'll try to put it on tonight! :D

user posted image

The tape works great. The hard part is trimming the tape around the little plastic shifter nub. The tape has to be kind of tucked in to place.

It may take 2-3 tries messing with the tape.....but I think you will be happy with the results.

I got the tape at home depot but I'm going to work at it tommorow it almost matches perfect thanks I thought there would be no way to fix this. But leave it to this awsome website for somone to give you the answers u need thanks! :D

user posted image

Just yank at it untill it comes off! :P Do a search I think there is a topic about how to get the shifter off.

Thanks I'll post before and after pic when i get a chance!

user posted image

OK, Let us know how you make out. It's pretty easy to do.. Again, The hardest thing is getting the tape around the shifter handle hole. I've done a bunch of them, but still have a hard time around that darn hole...

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

Archived