CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Plastic is peeling

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 95 had that problem too. I just tore it out and for 35 bucks, did my own thing.

I had a local trim shop make a little leather boot for the shifter. My Dads last SSEi Bonneville had a handsom little boot for its shifter, and it was ten times better than that cheap tape Caddy used on the Sevilles.

The boot they cooked up looks great, and much classier than what was there.

I just told the character who worked there what I wanted, he measured the dimensions he needed, and voala...

post-3-1106283309.jpg

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

That only coast you 35 bucks? I would think something like that would be much more expensive I should look around here and see if anyone could do that fo me it looks amayzing! :)

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Yeah, it started to peel on my dad's '94 STS and so he just ripped it right off and now it's a stainless. Doesn't look too bad with the black interior, but I'll look into taping it once spring comes.. -25 and 15cm's of snow right now, heh.

As for the bootie.. I like the idea, and the base of it looks nice. Not too keen on the way the leather attaches near the head of the shifter though, to be honest. Neat little idea though, and for $35, it's a pretty nice little mod :)

Yeah, it started to peel on my dad's '94 STS and so he just ripped it right off and now it's a stainless. Doesn't look too bad with the black interior, but I'll look into taping it once spring comes.. -25 and 15cm's of snow right now, heh.

As for the bootie.. I like the idea, and the base of it looks nice. Not too keen on the way the leather attaches near the head of the shifter though, to be honest. Neat little idea though, and for $35, it's a pretty nice little mod :)

That is a pretty good Idea! I would have never thought of just pealing it off and leaving the stainless steal look. It would look better than the plastic half way pealed up! I think the black shifter boot would look better with black interior. I am thinking of trying out the boot idea! Even though the plastic tape isn't pealing in my car! :D

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

No not yet i might be waiting a while to lol its curently -4 degrees F! HA HA I could shovel a path to the garage but i would freeze doing that to!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

There's no snow here in sunny Florida :lol:

Rob, to take that cover off, After you take the shifter handle off, Just pry it up. I usually just grab the area around the inside of the P/R/N. It has the black rubber around the inside of the wood grain part. usually it will just pull up. There are I think 4 clips and there is also a clip just above the ashtray. Just open the ashtray and kinda put your fingers in palm up and gently pull the top edge of the wood grain and it will pop out. Just be gentle, The wood grain will crack if you yank on it to much. Even the cars with out the wood grain will break. Out of all the ones I did. I broke just one... Hope you understand what I'm saying.. Sounds confusing..

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

Rob_M, I'm not to sure about the wood grain. I think it's just a stick on piece. You may be able to just peel the old grain off and buy a new piece. I do see wood grain kits on ebay. But again I'm not to sure.. So don't take my word for it..

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

Archived