CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

ETC or STS?

Scotty

Ok, I am going to sell my Deville in the spring. I am hoping to clean it up mechanically and cosmetically and sell it for $6,000. I want to put another $6,000 to total $12,000 and buy an STS or an ETC. What do you like about your ETC or STS that I should know. Those of you that have owned both I am especially interested in what you have to say. There are obvious benefits and limitations to each. For instance while I like the Eldorado, and while I like two doors there is no question its harder to get out of in a parking lot, its harder to get in the back seat, etc. But I tend to park in the far reaches of the parking lot away from everyone so maybe I can live with that limitation to get a body style I like.

Another limitation I understand is that at some point the STS platform developed while the ETC platform remained the same, and in effect from a certain year on, the STS was superior, am I wrong about that? I love the ELDO look, but I don't want to buy an Eldorado because I love its looks and find that I hate it in the long run.

Thanks, your opinions will help me buy a new car.

I NEVER had a 4 door car my whole life until my 93 STS. I would NEVER go back to the inconvenience of a 2 door car. The problem of getting friends into the back seat is not one I want to face again.

But, beyond that, it was the styling of the 92 - 97 STS that inspired me to buy a Cadillac in the first place. It was something that never entered my mind until I first saw that car. Of course, it's all subjective; but the Eldorado never did that for me.

Mike,

I personally like ETC styling, but a friend of mine - a tall guy like you hates his ETC for lack of headroom.

How did you know I was tall? Thats amazing! You are right, so at some point I must have said so... Good paying attention adallak. Yes that could be an issue as it is in my wifes 2 door Monte Carlo the back seat behind me is unusable, so the car is actually a three seater, :lol:

To my knowledge the Eldo motored on with the same chassis until GM pulled the plug after the 2002. While the STS was redesigned for the 98' model year. In my opinion go with the STS if you plan on using the backseat at all. I've owned my ESC for almost two years and no one has volunteered to ride in the back yet. I have driven both platformed cars and I feel that the newer STS is 'nicer' ride. It seems taughter. Bottom line is I think you'll be happier with the STS in the long run. Happy New Year!!!

Just my opinion

I like the etc I've owned a couple of them through the years..I went with the dts this time due to the newer body style and a little larger car.No regrets. The sts's are nice but not my cup of tea I have driven many of them I guess it's because it's hard to tell the years apart for me I have been thinking of picking up another etc the last model special edition I forget the exact model name,just as a second car for the wife and then I can drive it and let her drive mine from time to time. TYhe best thing to do IMHO is go to the dealer and drive a few take one for the day to see what you like the best etc or sts that's how i would go about it..

Good Luck

Jim

I personally think STS looks much nicer than the eldorado and is appreciated by more people. It's, however, all about which one you enjoy the most. I was reading the motortrend magezine when the sts was redesigned in 98 and they said that the handling was considerably better than the 92-97 series. I think the engine remained pretty much unchanged for 98 and 99. I'm of course assuming here that the eldorado didn't change much in terms of handling after 97.

Good luck

When I was looking for a Caddy, I was interested in an Eldo, or a Seville. The Seville, is definitely more practical, with the four doors, since I have two children. But, I love the looks of the Eldo. I checked out both, and sat in a 2000 Eldo. The deal breaker for the Eldo, was short front seats. While sitting in the Eldo, only half of my thighs, were supported by the bottom seat cushion. The Seville has a full length seat. I am only 5'7" tall, with a 30" inseam. Although I liked the Eldo more, I couldn't get comfortable in it.

That's my story, and I'm stickin to it. :D

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

All great info and opinions guys thanks! It's looking like a black on black 98 STS in my mind, hopefully my $12,000 will allow that, in good condition, with low mileage with the service records included :lol: .

At 6'5" and with a 7 yo daughter I am sure my wife would whine louder than a dried-up idler pulley if I got the ETC!, especially since that would give us two, two-door cars! Thanks, :D

You talked me out of the ETC :(

I NEVER had a 4 door car my whole life until my 93 STS. I would NEVER go back to the inconvenience of a 2 door car. The problem of getting friends into the back seat is not one I want to face again.

But, beyond that, it was the styling of the 92 - 97 STS that inspired me to buy a Cadillac in the first place.

I'll echo both of those sentiments. My previous car before the Seville was a 2-door Cutlass, and although it was mostly just me, it was a complete pain to use the back seat. It was also useless do put anything in if it didn't fit in the trunk. With the SLS, if we're out and buy something big, you can easily slide in the back seat through the doors. No question about the utility. Objectively, if you have a family and/or use the car for anything but a show queen, you'd get a Seville.

Subjectively, it's all about what you like. When I first saw the '92 STS on the cover of Motor Trend, I just knew I wanted that car. Personally, I don't care for the Eldorado's last generation (92-02) styling, but that's subjective, and you shouldn't really listen to how people may or may not like the styling...because that's a personal opinion.

But to get back to my first thought -- if you can live with another version of your wife's '02 Monte Carlo, and you like the Eldorado, go for the Eldorado. If you'd rather not have another 2-door car, and enjoy the utility of your 4-door Deville, your decision is pretty easy in my opinion.

Good luck,

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

For sure go and sit in the STS. Try it out for size. I am 6'1" and find my 2001 STS just right. If I was taller than this, I would for sure question the head room.

Rick

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Sounds like you have settled on the STS, good choice. My '99 is a very solid car, no issues at all at this point. I would like to remind you that a better choice would be a 2000 or newer model due to the extensive engine modifications made in 2000. This car get as good or better fuel mileage, and burns regular 87 octane gas.....a big savings down the road. On your budget, you may not get the cherry 2000 (wait, was that a movie title?) that you want, but you might be surprised at how good a car you can get for that amount. I'm thinking in the neighborhood of 40 - 50,000 miles, no codes, good tires, excellent exhaust system, no wrecks, and perfect interior.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I have the black on black STS. If you could I would get the back-up assist. I think the STS is more of a classy performance (muscle car).

I think the STS would be the more practical choice for the family man and at the same time classy enough to take the wife out on the town in style and still maintain the 21 year old that still lurks inside of you.... :D (us)

Mine has all of the optiions except the back- up assist.

Happy hunting....

ByStorm

post-3-1104288058.jpg

I have a 2001 STS and like someone else suggested, get the back up assist if you can. I prefer the 98-04 STS ove the 92-97 mainly because of the instrumentation. On the exterior side either any 92 onward STS would do.

As far as Eldorados's go, I have 2 door cars longer than 4 door cars and I'll take 4 doors any day.

Just keep an eye out for the trunk leaks the Seville's are plagued with.

Have fun!

Jim

Its not hard seeing while backing up but, I still have trouble gauging the distance while backing up to the stationary object behind me. I am either almost going to hit or I am 2 feet from the object.

I believe the back-up assist would relieve any headaches. Don't leave home without it.

Peace, ByStorm

For me, it does work/alert you to something back there, even pedesterians, toddler tricycles etc ... Also, especially right after I bought it, I wasn't accustomed to the car.

Additionally I divide my driving between a full size Bronco and the STS. Two completly different vehicles and personalities.

It's hard not to drive the STS more but I want the warranty to last the full life of the loan ... well, at least thats the plan.

Jim

That back up assist comes in very handy on the newer devilles. They are hard to judge backing up when you get to about within a foot or less of a object.Everytime I'm backing up using the backup assist I am always thinking I hope this thing isn't on the blink and I'll backup and smack something. I was at the dealer one time and the owner had a new deville and was backing up It was funny, All of a sudden You heard a loud bang and he clipped a wall real good tore up the rear bumper cover,broke the tail lights,dented the trunk etc. losened some brick on the building. He got out wasn't pissed He just said to one of the mechanics get the F'ing service mgr.When the service mgr. came out the owner just told him fix it. The back up assist wasn't working so he was backing up thinking the alarm would sound while watching the lights no lights or alarm. Hey stuff happens I still can see that deville Like it was yesterday & that was a couple years ago.Makes you think..

Cheers

Jim

That back up assist comes in very handy on the newer devilles. They are hard to judge backing up when you get to about within a foot or less of a object.Everytime I'm backing up using the backup assist I am always thinking I hope this thing isn't on the blink and I'll backup and smack something. I was at the dealer one time and the owner had a new deville and was backing up It was funny, All of a sudden You heard a loud bang and he clipped a wall real good tore up the rear bumper cover,broke the tail lights,dented the trunk etc. losened some brick on the building. He got out wasn't pissed He just said to one of the mechanics get the F'ing service mgr.When the service mgr. came out the owner just told him fix it. The back up assist wasn't working so he was backing up thinking the alarm would sound while watching the lights no lights or alarm. Hey stuff happens I still can see that deville Like it was yesterday & that was a couple years ago.Makes you think..

Cheers

Jim

I experienced that on a 2004 Deville that I rented in Florida, it was impossible to see out the back.

And that back seat sure wouldn't be any fun for you guys.

OK you hooked me, why wouldnt it be fun for US guys, LOL

You know, us older folks just don't have any appreciation for back seat fun any more.........

Actually - and probably sadly - I was thinking only about the practicalities of getting a family in and out of a back seat. :blink: Sounds like I may need to work on getting in touch with the 21 year old lurking inside of me!

Hope y'all have a safe and happy New Year!

Jack

Archived