CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New 96-99 Northstars?

Bruce Nunnally

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ptd/5236657896.html

"BRAND NEW 96-99 CADILLAC DEVILLE 4.6 ENGINE VIN Y ASKING $1700"

00l0l_frn22W6gddS_600x450.jpg

Are there still NEW engine in production for these? New old stock maybe? I don't see anything on their actual website, so could just be a puff craig's list ad.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

When I got my Jasper reman in 2006, they were keeping only a few in stock for immediate shipment, although mine came from a warehouse in Philly. The price of $1700 is way below cost from GM. At best, this is a warehouse find. More likely, at that price, somebody has a few rebuilds laying around.

I checked the URL in the photo and bolt-on-motors is an outlet for used parts in Dallas. Address is 2370 Medill Street. Google Street View shows a fairly substantial looking shop :

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7746253,-96.7665564,3a,75y,57.25h,87.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBmXqhb_VhHelAXwvs2VIQA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Ad for engines says "hand selected, fully inspected." That's pulled, cleaned up, checked out, possibly started or at least compression-checked.

If you need a VIN Y motor, it's worth a call. They probably have a VIN 9 motor or two too; those have always been in the minority, so they won't have as many as they would have VIN Y motors. The shop looks like you can drive/tow in and they can do the swap.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

What inserts did they use? Did they torque them correctly? What kind of piston rings? Whats the warranty? Are the engines even rebuilt? Are they using the cheap knock-off timing chain tensioner's from ebay? I have seen one of those tensioner's fail and go into a full release and bent all the intake valves on the rear bank. A shop here in Indiana built the engine and is no longer around. The shop didn't refund him so he ate 4500$$ only after 3 months after the repair.

I didn't see anything in the thread or the Craigslist ad that the engines were rebuilt. If they are in fact new old stock, $1700.00 is a pretty good deal. The parts and tools alone to Timesert a Northstar engine is about $1500.00 not including labor.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Their web page says that they sell used parts, including complete engines. It's unclear from the Craiglist ad whether these are new engines from a warehouse find or just used engines.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

http://www.123engine.com/content/cadillac1/cadillac1e.jpg

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ptd/5236657896.html

So, why does 123.engine and the craigslist ad have the same picture?

I went to cadillac northstar head gasket repair and went to images on google. scroll down a ways

What inserts did they use? Did they torque them correctly? What kind of piston rings? Whats the warranty? Are the engines even rebuilt? Are they using the cheap knock-off timing chain tensioner's from ebay? I have seen one of those tensioner's fail and go into a full release and bent all the intake valves on the rear bank. A shop here in Indiana built the engine and is no longer around. The shop didn't refund him so he ate 4500$$ only after 3 months after the repair.

Those are words of wisdo . A few dollars saved on a rebuild is not worth cost down the road of $5000 to do it all again. But can't even put a price on The headache .

Killer deal though since engine is a dealer leftover stock. I had Cadillac replace my transmission with a new unit not remanufactured on my 2002 DTS because of the torque convertor solenoid and convertor itself. At Mercedes where I work we get reman units from Benz. Caddy dealer told me that 90% of time GM sends new engines and transmissions for warranty repairs.

Archived