CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2001 deville loud screeching upon startup *video*

has been happening for weeks now. Just got alternator replaced and water pump replaced with belt nd tensioner. Also sometimes starts back up while driving around 1350 rpms for a second and stops when i let off the gas. Any help would be appreciated!https://youtu.be/bHDs6IMepEU

It sounds VERY much like a slipping belt. That much noise would make the serpentine belt worth looking at, event though the water pump work makes that belt the first suspect.

But don't let this go any longer than you must.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Possibly a power steering pump going bad, or just low on fluid.

Britt

Call me crazy but it sounds all normal to me. If there is a noise that my ears cannot here, try spraying each of the belts separately with soapy water. If one of tue belts or a component is causing the noise, it will at at least change pitch, and at most stop altogether.

I know it's only the water pump side of everything else, but at least it will narrow it down to something driven by a belt.

Sounds like a horrific air pump issue to me.

It sounds like the noise turns off toward the end. Right about the time the air pump would be turning off.

The air pump is well hidden in the front lower area of the drivers side front fender.....behind the bumper fog lamp area. Not obvious unless you know it's there. You cannot see it with the hood open.

The air pump will mostly only work on cold start ups. So you may not hear it at every start up.

The air pump relay is on the passenger side strut tower. All by itself on a bracket near the coolant tank. You can jump the air pump motor there for testing.

I didn't listen to the video before my first post. This is a whine, not a screech, like a turbine or a resonance on a turbine, pulley or shaft. It stops after a few seconds, so the time it is "on" is consistent with the A.I.R pump running until the car goes closed loop. I share Logan's opinion.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Also agree the sound is a whine; could be airpump. Have you checked for proper belt positioning and routing; almost sounds as if something is running backwards. It also seemed to dissipate after coming off fast-idle; will revving the engine induce the whine again?

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Pull the air pump fuse and see if that stops it.

Archived