CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1998 Deville Oil Pressure Issue

I have a 1998 Deville that we bought off of a snowbird in Florida. It has 50,000 miles on it. After we bought it we had a few issues due to the car having been stored, water pump burst, wires replaced, filters replaced, the radiator burst and was replaced at a non-Cadillac dealer. It drove great there after for 2 years. Now we have this:

Whenever we drive the car on the highway/interstate at speed (55-70) and get off of the highway the Low Oil Pressure light comes on and then the stop engine comes on when the speed reaches about 20 or 25 mph and remains on during idle. When you get the car back over 25 the stop engine warning goes off and but the oil can light stays on. They indicate that the oil pressure is low and when you get below 20 mph it drops. We just had a new alternator and a tune up done.

They have told us this is a known issue with Northstar cars that have been stored and not often driven. We've had it for 3 years and have put less than 10,000 miles on it. I was unable to find any known issue but I found you guys instead.They have tried several times to "fix" this and have not been able to do so. Have any of you heard of something like this and if so, is there a fix? We love this car and aren't ready to give up on it.

There is no "known issues" like this when a Northstar car is stored... Where do people come up with stuff like that???

Change the oil pressure sending unit - close to the oil filter - make sure to use a GM part, not an aftermarket part.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

same as above. Usually completely cures the problem.

Oil pressure sender and level sender are the most common problem.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

When mine sat unused for a year or so, i started it and had the oil flicker right away. When i removed the connector on the oil sensor, it was full of oil. I changed it a few months ago, and the flicker is 100% gone. That "STOP ENGINE" message really rattled my nerves.

Archived