CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2003 Seville AC evaporator core replacement

Well the good news is I fixed my head gasket job myself the bad news is I damaged my evaporator core in the process.I had three guys helping me as I was pulling the engine mainly to watch the wiring and AC lines as I pulled the engine and they still failed to see the AC lines going to the evaporator got hung up on the manifold and cracked the core fittings coming out of the firewall.it looks like on my year everything in front of the seats have to come out and the evaporator and heater core come out together.the manual says the steering column has to be removed , do I have to take the steering wheel off to remove the column or can I pull it off together? Also it says I have to add oil to the new evaporator core can I use the refrigerant that has the oil in it? Man this looks like it is going to suck,lol.

sts03

There is such a thing as too much help...

Just add 3 ozs. of PAG-150 oil to the new evaporator before you install it. Pour it into one of the pipes. Lube the o-rings on the connections with 525 viscosity MINERAL refrigerant oil or Nylog. Do not use the PAG oil to lube the o-rings as it attracts moisture that can can corrode the joints. If you can't find any mineral refrigerant oil, a small drop of clean engine oil will do.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Its a good thing I read the entire thread because I would say the evaporators on these are pretty bulletproof. Wish I could give you more insight but I agree with the above post

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

sts03,

Can you post a picture of the damage? Are the fittings cracked or is the line itself punctured?

If the line is punctured, you may be able to have it heiliarced (aluminum TIG weld) with the evaporator in the car. Any good TIG welding shop may be able to do this for you. It may be worth looking into this before going through all the work of replacing the evaporator.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It is the lines coming from the evaporator .I can't even see the crack myself due to the firewall, I just felt it when I bent it back down.it got pulled up pretty good before my helpers saw it.I'll see if I can get a pic.i went back and looked and it's broke where the two evap lines go to the fitting.looks like I'm going to go through another project .since I have to pull the heater core out with it should I change that too ?

sts03

It is the lines coming from the evaporator .I can't even see the crack myself due to the firewall, I just felt it when I bent it back down.it got pulled up pretty good before my helpers saw it.I'll see if I can get a pic.i went back and looked and it's broke where the two evap lines go to the fitting.looks like I'm going to go through another project .since I have to pull the heater core out with it should I change that too ?

I would... just so I wouldn't have to take it all apart again when the heater core decides to start leaking.

Posted Image

yea thats what i was thinking since heater cores arent that expensive .the manual says i have to remove the steering column ,do i have to remove the steering wheel or can i take the column out with the wheel still attached?

sts03

I would think you could remove the column with the steering wheel attached unless the manual states to remove the steering wheel to access some fasteners.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Kind of a major undertaking. I think the dash has to come out. I think the pics are for a Deville...STS should be pretty much the same.

post-2-0-19799800-1401804284_thumb.jpg

Yep everything in front of the seats have to come out, it sucks.should advance or auto zone sell the PAG OIL and are the evaporator case seals reusable?

sts03

Yep everything in front of the seats have to come out, it sucks.should advance or auto zone sell the PAG OIL and are the evaporator case seals reusable?

Any o-ring that is disturbed needs to be replaced. Any type of air seal can be reused but anything that contacts refrigerant must be replaced.

Autozone should have the PAG oil. You need 150 viscosity which is termed "high viscosity". Buy as small of a quantity as you can - in a metal container preferably as it attracts moisture.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

In the manual it says to remove switches like for head lights,etc. Do I have to really remove them or can they be unplugged?

sts03

In the manual it says to remove switches like for head lights,etc. Do I have to really remove them or can they be unplugged?

Not sure - there may be screws that retain the dash behind the switches.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The PAG oil in the metal can has to be injected in the low side port , is that fine or do I need to pour it in the evaporator core?

sts03

Pour it into the new evaporator core before you install the core.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

the whole ac system holds about i think a little over 8 oz .this whole ac stuff is new to me i had no idea about the pag oil until i look in the manual,i feel like some of the oil pour out of the compressor when i took it off when i did my head gasket job cause i saw wet stuff in the trunk where i had the compressor that i couldnt figure what it was now i now it was probally the pag oil.how much should i put in ? i know you said3 oz in the core but if the whole system holds over 8 oz should i just put a 8 0z can in the low side port?

sts03

i know you said3 oz in the core but if the whole system holds over 8 oz should i just put a 8 0z can in the low side port?

NO!!!! If you put too much oil in the system, it will not cool properly.

There is no way to know how much came out of the compressor but I would not add more than 4 oz. to the system if the assumprion that one ounce leaked out of the compressor.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I'm just curious does the oil flow through the whole AC system?

Yes - the refrigerant carries the oil through the system.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks,I can't remember when I took the lines out of the compressor is there supposed to be a sealing washer and a o ring.I bought a bag for the AC system of o rings and the sealing washers but I don't remember seeing o rings just the sealing washers ?

sts03

There are o-rings at the connections. If they are missing, you may need to go to a dealer and have them look up the GM part for you so you can match up the size. Sometimes, the new evaporator will have o-rings on the fittings. I have seen that with replacement condensers.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Oh ok cause there was still sealing washers at the end of each line when I was putting the lines back together after the Hg Job , the o rings must of fell off.

sts03

Archived