CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 DeVille Coolant leak

jndnaps

This car has never had the green coolant in it since I had it. I had it since 05, and it had Dexcool in it when I got it, so I don't think it ever had the green stuff..I'm gonna have the shop do it all tomorrow. I'm gonna have them do the check for a blown head gasket first.. Are the pellets always supposed to be added to these cars???? I called the guy at the shop and he said they don't use the pellets anymore. He said they use a liquid form of it. Also, I always thought I smelled antifreeze when I had the A/C on low. Never on high or with heat.. Only when it was on low A/C. Not sure if that was what I was smelling, but it smelled like it to me. That's been for as long as I owned the car, and I never had to add coolant.. Now, if they say there is a blown HG, should I have them flush it anyway and add the pellets or the liquid???

How is the 2009-2011 DTS? do they have the same problems? What common problems do they have? I may look into buying one with low miles if the 96 has a blown HG. Not hard to find around here.

Sorry for all the questions, but as I told you guys before, I'm dumber than a box of rocks when it come to car stuff. :blink:

Thanks again!!

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would do the headgasket test myself.

You can borrow the test kit at Auto Zone and you only pay 8 or 10 bucks for the test fluid.

I would trust "ME" doing it vs trusting someone who may see a financial incentive to telling you they are bad when in fact they may be good.

Posted Image

I would do the headgasket test myself.

You can borrow the test kit at Auto Zone and you only pay 8 or 10 bucks for the test fluid.

I would trust "ME" doing it vs trusting someone who may see a financial incentive to telling you they are bad when in fact they may be good.

I hear what you're saying, but I trust them, and also I'll be standing there when they do it. Also, there's no financial incentives for them at all. He already knows I'm not fixing it if it needs to be done. As much as I'd hate to do it, it's gonna end up on Craigslist for parts if it's blown..

You stated in your earlier post that the purge line was clogged - that was the cause of the overheating.

The financial incentive would be to make you believe it had a head gasket problem so they could pick it up cheaply, fix what was wrong and either keep it for a driver or sell it for a large profit.

I would not use the liquid form of the bars leaks. It has a soluble oil in it that is completely unnecessary. There is nothing to lubricate in a cooling system... A '96 came from the factory with the pellets. You can always buy a tube of Bars Leaks golden seal in the powdered or tablet form and supply it to the shop. Just make sure it is added to the lower radiator hose and not the surge tank. Adding ANY kind of stop leak to the surge tank is asking for trouble.

Testing the coolant for exhaust gasses will give you piece of mind but I doubt it is the head gaskets since you issues started with the clogged purge line. Unless the shop is doing it inexpensively, I don't think I'd bother with it. All that needs to be done is to remove the surge tank and flush it out with water to remove the sealant. I would then remove the purge line between the water pump crossover and the surge tank and flush that. Then remove and clean the hollow bolt on the water pump crossover that the purge line connects to and clean it. Add the pellets to the lower radiator hose, re-assemble, fill with 50/50 Dexcool and drive it.

I have not heard of any problems with the 2009-2011 DTS's. The head bolts were fixed for good in 2004.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I could be the surge tank cap is bad. This is what happened to me. Once the car is hot is will intermitentely stream water out of the overflow hose--obviously, because the coolant is getting too hot. But the cap could be alowing air to infiltrate causing it to overheat and/or allowing coolant to boil. Just a suggestion based on my experience.

There's nothing wrong with DexCool. The mud is probably from the pellets. You should change your coolant every three or four years. It's probably due. I would skip the pellets unless you have a mild coolant smell after changing. If that happens, use four pellets in the lower radiator hose (not in the surge tank). Get the pellets at Amazon:

A mechanic's trick to check your coolant for being used up is to use a voltmeter. Put the black terminal on a good ground on the engine block and put the red one in the surge tank down to the coolant and read the voltage. If it is below 0.5 Volts (positive or negative), you are good. If it's more than 0.7 Volts, change the coolant ASAP. A reading between 0.5 Volts and 0.7 Volts is marginal and you should plan to change your coolant soon.

As far as I know, no new car has been designed for green antifreeze since 1995, but some mechanics even now swear that red/orange/yellow antifreeze is bad for any one of a variety of reasons, none of which stand up to a web search or other fact checking, and some of them will put green antifreeze in your car without asking or telling. If your car has ever had green antifreeze in it, it's practically impossible to get all of it out, and it will cause Dexcool to lose its anti-corrosion properties sooner. You should change your coolant every two years or sooner if you have ever had green antifreeze in your car.

One thing that's hard on any antifreeze is to run low on coolant. This can allow hot spots in the head to be above water when the car is cold or under other conditions, where the antifreeze can fry, and fried antifreeze is not a good thing for coolant, no matter what the color. But some people run low on coolant for years and never know it. When in doubt, use the voltmeter test.

I used to use DexCool because I figured it's OEM and as long as it's flushed and replaced as recommended, all should be fine. That was until the cap on my STS went bad which allowed air to infiltrate, causing DexCool to coat the coolant reservior with a coating of a white paste-like substance that was apparently caused by air infiltration. The white paste looked as though air mixed with DexCool, causing DexCool to emulsify--not completely, however, enough to cause a white past to buildup. After this experience, I flushed DexCool and replaced it with Prestone's 5-year Extended Life Antifreeze which, from what I understand, is very similar to DexCool in that it's a HOAT antifreeze and DexCool is an OAT antifreeze. So far Prestone has worked fine.

You stated in your earlier post that the purge line was clogged - that was the cause of the overheating.

The financial incentive would be to make you believe it had a head gasket problem so they could pick it up cheaply, fix what was wrong and either keep it for a driver or sell it for a large profit.

I would not use the liquid form of the bars leaks. It has a soluble oil in it that is completely unnecessary. There is nothing to lubricate in a cooling system... A '96 came from the factory with the pellets. You can always buy a tube of Bars Leaks golden seal in the powdered or tablet form and supply it to the shop. Just make sure it is added to the lower radiator hose and not the surge tank. Adding ANY kind of stop leak to the surge tank is asking for trouble.

Testing the coolant for exhaust gasses will give you piece of mind but I doubt it is the head gaskets since you issues started with the clogged purge line. Unless the shop is doing it inexpensively, I don't think I'd bother with it. All that needs to be done is to remove the surge tank and flush it out with water to remove the sealant. I would then remove the purge line between the water pump crossover and the surge tank and flush that. Then remove and clean the hollow bolt on the water pump crossover that the purge line connects to and clean it. Add the pellets to the lower radiator hose, re-assemble, fill with 50/50 Dexcool and drive it.

I have not heard of any problems with the 2009-2011 DTS's. The head bolts were fixed for good in 2004.

Actually the line did blow air at first and a bunch of crap blew out. When I cleaned up the mess and went to blow it again it clogged up.. Then I blew it the opposite way and it unclogged. So I'm not 100% sold on it being from a clogged hose. But I'm hoping that was it.

Again, there is no financial incentive for this shop. They're not interested in making me believe it has a head gasket problem so they can get the car. They don't want the car. This is a Goodyear shop, and I know the shop manager very well. Employees too..I used to buy and sell cars and I had cars in the past that they could have done that a few times to and they didn't. They're not interested in getting cars to resell. Believe me when I tell you, this isn't what this shop is about. And again, I'll be standing right there when they do the work.. Not only that, if it is a HG, I'll be driving it till it goes and then it'll go on CL.. I'm still gonna let them remove the tank and clean it out and flush the system. That after checking for a bad HG. I don't have a problem spending the money to do that since I sold my house.. And I have no patience working on this car. If it were the wife's 67 Mustang with the little 289 I'd have no problems working on it.. Anything older than 72 I'm pretty much done. There's just to much stuff crammed under the hood for me to work on. One busted knuckle and there goes the windshield.. You can ask the wife about that. I took out a few.. This is something I can still do myself, I just don't want to.. Plus, I really don't like messing with antifreeze. I don't like the smell of it at all and I have asthma and that actually chokes me up a bit..

But anyways, I do appreciate all the info.. I like to learn more before I take a car in to be fixed and will do some things myself.. The purge line was easy enough, but the antifreeze smell got to me and some times it even makes me feel a little sick.. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does.. It's just nasty... I'd rather smell gear oil..

That breaks my heart. I couldnt imagine parting out a car like ours with a problem. I see so many on the junkyards because of pulled head bolts. but it is not the end of the world to have a bad headgasket. The way I see it is It is if the car is in good condition and has no other major problems, it is completely worth fixing. It is likely cheaper to have the current engine repaired rather than to scrap the car and have to buy another one.

I bought my Seville because it had 4 pulled headbolts and people told me I was crazy until they actually went for a ride in it and realized that other than the engine problem the car rides like brand new.

Now honestly if My Deville ends up with the problem I would have 2 choices, 1. tear it apart myself and do the complete job, or 2. part it out because it is starting to rust, has 200000 miles on it, and the TCC is just starting to act up.

I hope yours does not have any problems like headbolts pulled because it is quite the bummer, but it is better to find out now before too much money is invested.

I wish you the very best of luck and am grateful you come here to share in the experience

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Okay, no blown head gasket.. All they could find was that the cap was bad. Replaced cap, removed the surge tank and flushed out good, and flushed the rest of the cooling system. I stopped by the dealer and got the pellets ($3.45) on my way so they used the correct stuff and put into bottom hose. So I guess this was a good day.. My luck usually goes the other way.. Don't know if the purge line was an issue or not. Maybe just the bad cap.. But at least I know the purge line is cleaned out now anyways.. Thanks again for all the info.. Maybe I'll take the car out for ice cream.. :blink:

Glad to hear this. I was just surprised you put pellets in. My concern for you is that no hot spot formed that might compromise the gasket or bolts. Your temps didnt go all that high.

I think my coolant change this spring I will forgo this step, and I will find that "bolt with a hole in it" and clear it out.

Also lets give a shout out to Mac for calling this one!!

I guess I got like most people with these cars. I freaked out and right away assumed it was a HG.. I keep the info center on my temps so I keep an eye on them at all times.. Been that way since I had it.. Even when I had my Eldorados.. As far as I know the pellets were always used in the car so I took a shot at it and used them again.. But I got what GM uses. Hopefully it'll work out okay.. The cap barely held one pound.. The only thing I'm still wondering about is if the bolt with the hole is gonna start to leak. I didn't put anything back on the threads when I put it back on..

Last step was to spray critter ridder under the hood.. That's gotta work.. Hell, it made me run.. :blink:

If the last time you flushed your system was 2009, it's due for another coolant flush. I wouldn't wait the full five years. If in doubt, use the voltmeter test. And, be sure your coolant is at least 50% anti-freeze but less than 70%, with 50% preferred.

To solve the rat and critter problem in the garage, put a cat door in the garage access door to the house. Just find the cat before you start the car so you can be sure that the cat isn't asleep on a warm engine when you start the car in the morning.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I have a huge tip that has been wonderful for anyone who I have shared it with. I also store 1 or more vehicles every winter and I have never had a problem.

Irish spring bar soap. Its cheap, smells nice, doesnt melt or stain. but critters of all sorts cannot stand it. Trust me I know it works.

As for the bolt with the hole in it I wouldnt worry about it as long as it is tight and does not show signs of seepage

GM FAN FOREVER

So, place a bar of Irish Spring on the garage floor near where the wheels are?

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

If the last time you flushed your system was 2009, it's due for another coolant flush. I wouldn't wait the full five years. If in doubt, use the voltmeter test. And, be sure your coolant is at least 50% anti-freeze but less than 70%, with 50% preferred.

To solve the rat and critter problem in the garage, put a cat door in the garage access door to the house. Just find the cat before you start the car so you can be sure that the cat isn't asleep on a warm engine when you start the car in the morning.

I've been flushing it like every three years. The last time was only 8 months ago, 7/12... and only 1,500 miles.. I don't drive the car a lot, maybe twice a week if that.. hell, I've only put 39K on it in the 8 years that I had it. The car is in my driveway, not in the garage. I have two cars in the garage, no critter problem in there..The caddy and wifes car in the driveway. The caddy stays covered with a car cover, but the critter/s get under the hood. I used this critter ridder spray today. Smells like pepper spray.. I see no signs of damage at all.. Just poop and acorns. Hopefully the spray works.

I have a huge tip that has been wonderful for anyone who I have shared it with. I also store 1 or more vehicles every winter and I have never had a problem.

Irish spring bar soap. Its cheap, smells nice, doesnt melt or stain. but critters of all sorts cannot stand it. Trust me I know it works.

As for the bolt with the hole in it I wouldnt worry about it as long as it is tight and does not show signs of seepage

I'll keep my eye on that bolt.. I forgot about the Irish spring bar soap.. I heard of that from other people.. What ever it is it likes both cars.. If I knew it was a rat I'd put traps under the hood. I don't want to kill squirrels.. We like those critters.. :blink:

I'll try and get a few new pics before the weekend..

WOW..... only 39,000 in 8 years....

The first 2006 DTS I had (the one that burned when my garage caught on fire)... was 1 year and 1 month old.

It had just a hair over 40,000 on it.... :):)

The one I have now, I bought new in Dec of 2006.

It has almost 128,000 on it.

Most of that was put on it in the first 2.5 years.

Darling Wife had a couple of small strokes and we don't travel as much now.

Posted Image

I put 1 under each front seat. 1 in the trunk. and if the car is stored 1 in the engine bay where it wont get hot if the engine is started. I leave the bars right in the boxes and open both ends. I leave mine in year round

GM FAN FOREVER

WOW..... only 39,000 in 8 years....

The first 2006 DTS I had (the one that burned when my garage caught on fire)... was 1 year and 1 month old.

It had just a hair over 40,000 on it.... :):)

The one I have now, I bought new in Dec of 2006.

It has almost 128,000 on it.

Most of that was put on it in the first 2.5 years.

Darling Wife had a couple of small strokes and we don't travel as much now.

Yeah, I don't drive to far.. Plus, we live close to every thing so you don't have to go far. I was taking care of my mother so I did have a lot of doctors appointments to take her to the last few years. She passed away in Jan, so I'll be driving it even less now..

I put 1 under each front seat. 1 in the trunk. and if the car is stored 1 in the engine bay where it wont get hot if the engine is started. I leave the bars right in the boxes and open both ends. I leave mine in year round

I couldn't put any in the car. That smell would get my asthma all worked up.. Looks like the spray worked, no trace of anything this AM..

Anywho, I went out and got some lunch and went to the park to eat. While I was sitting there I let it idle and it got as hot as 222 and then went back down to 212 when the fans kicked in. The A/C wasn't on because it's cold out today, In the 50's, with a pretty good breeze. I took some pics there by the lake.. Only a few because it was cold with the wind. Had to be a windchill in the 40's.. It's not super cleaned up, but looks good in the pics, and not bad for 127K..

Cadillac004E_zpsad09b10b.jpg

Cadillac001E_zps673d177f.jpg

Cadillac005E_zpsf1b9650e.jpg

96Caddy06.jpg

96Caddy07.jpg

96Caddy08.jpg

96Caddy09.jpg

Thank you for the photographs. They are magnificent photographs of a magnificent car.

With the A/C off, the fans don't run, so if you are stopped and idling with no wind, the temperature may creep up. At an engine temperature of 226 F, the fans will come on LOW. They will go off when the temperature drops to 216 F. This is from the 1997 FSM p. 6-797.

Thank you for the photographs. They are magnificent photographs of a magnificent car.

With the A/C off, the fans don't run, so if you are stopped and idling with no wind, the temperature may creep up. At an engine temperature of 226 F, the fans will come on LOW. They will go off when the temperature drops to 216 F. This is from the 1997 FSM p. 6-797.

No problem.. Maybe I'll clean it up tomorrow or Friday and take a few more.. We'll be back up in the 80's buy Sunday, so I'll see how it goes that week.. I'm still paranoid.. :blink:

That sure is a beautiful automobile....

You have taken excellent care of it... :hatsoff:

Thanks! I always take care of and baby my cars.. I clean it so much I'm surprised the paint is still on the car..

Wow, Beautiful.

I love to see members post pictures. I swear if my 96 ever goes out I want another. I dont care much for 95 back and 97+ but the 96 is perfect. That car is a wonderful example of a classic Cadillac Automobile. Cars like yours are why I love them so much. I work so hard to keep mine nice but it nearly impossible around here due to the salt used in the winter. Thats why my Seville stays in the garage alot.

Is that a regular Deville or a higher line? This is my pride. but I drive my Deville daily year round. This car gets babied all the way.

1025101310a.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Wow, Beautiful.

I love to see members post pictures. I swear if my 96 ever goes out I want another. I dont care much for 95 back and 97+ but the 96 is perfect. That car is a wonderful example of a classic Cadillac Automobile. Cars like yours are why I love them so much. I work so hard to keep mine nice but it nearly impossible around here due to the salt used in the winter. Thats why my Seville stays in the garage alot.

Is that a regular Deville or a higher line? This is my pride. but I drive my Deville daily year round. This car gets babied all the way.

Thanks! Nice Seville.. It's just a base DeVille.. My wife hates it. She says it's an old mans car and she hates 4 door cars.. I never cared for 4 doors either. I bought this one at a dealers auction and was just gonna sell it, but it didn't sell.. I needed a 4 door because I was taking care of mom so I kept it.. I Loved my two Eldorados and should have kept the 96.. It was Diamond white too.. Here's a pic before the tinted windows and chrome wheels..

96Eldorado.jpg

My 84 Triple white with blue dash and carpet. The crappy motor blew in it.

84Eldorado.jpg

Anyways, how do I change the bulbs on the off and auto buttons? Do I just take the buttons off, or do I have to take the cluster out?? All the other bulbs work except the off and auto button..

ClusterBulbs_zpsdbe01414.jpg

Archived