CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 D'Ville, Fuel Gauge Erratic

Gentlemen:

Once again, need some advice diagnosing a problem. The fuel gauge on 2000 Deville is giving me erratic readings.

The gauge will show 3/4 full one moment, 1/4 full the next, and keeps fluctuating.

I understand the fuel pump is accessed through the trunk and is relativiely easy to R & R. However, when I look at the replacement parts on-line at Auto Zone, ($235.00) they show several different style pumps as a replacement, which is confusing. I plan to call the dealer and request the correct OEM Part #.

Question: Is there any way I can be sure it's the entire pump that needs to be replaced, and not just a sensor, which is also advertised at Auto Zone?

thanks for any advice offered.

Steve M.

The fuel level sender is part of the fuel tank module. It can be replaced by itself...with some effort.

Sulfur buildup on the sensor can cause erratic readings with the fuel level sending unit. There is some fuel additive that may fix this...but I cant remember the name...maybe Techron. Someone may chime in with the correct name. I would try that first.

I attached a service manual pic of the fuel level sending unit. That may help you with the parts listing confusion.

post-2-0-26908800-1361391266_thumb.jpg

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the response. I've added the Techron over several fill ups with no success. I'm wondering if Cobra Jet is suggesting I just replace the

fuel sender unit rather than the entire fuel pump located beneath the trunK/

The fuel tank level sending unit is tangled in with the fuel pump module. It can be replaced independently. The fuel pump module would still need to be removed from the tank in order to replace the fuel level sending unit. No need to replace the complete fuel pump module....just replace the fuel level sending unit.

In the picture (generic GM fuel pump pic). You can clearly see the sending unit.

post-2-0-59819100-1361546329_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

2000 Cad DeVille, Fuel Pump Replacement:

Just had the fuel pump replaced due to erratic fuel level readings. First time I used this repair shop and cost was $450.00; OEM part installed. Considering the scope of the job, was this a bit too much for the job?

Pls respond via email.

Steve M.

SMihaly137@aol.com

I would have to look at a flat rate manual but I think that this isn't that bad a price. Rock Auto lists the fuel level sensing unit at $100 to $125 depending on VIN (they changed in mid-year), about a two-hour job for R&R with another hour to extract the old sending unit from the fuel pump and install the new one on the assembly is about three hours at $100 per hour, which gets you to about $400. With gaskets and other shop and material charges, you can get to $425 plus tax without straining a bit. But if the flat rate manual says that the R&R times are less than two hours and one hour, the price is high.

OTOH you can get the part from GMPartsDirect with a VIN check on the correct part and do the job yourself for under $200. Just be sure that you are prepared to do open-gas-tank surgery safely.

Just before I sold my 1997 ETC, I ran into a shop that would add $1500 to $2500 to every estimate, compared to other shops estimating the same job. So, perhaps a second opinion is in order.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

$450 seems high to me considering there is an access panel in the trunk to access the fuel sender. The tank does not need to be lowered.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

2000 Cad DeVille, Fuel Pump Replacement:

Just had the fuel pump replaced due to erratic fuel level readings. First time I used this repair shop and cost was $450.00; OEM part installed. Considering the scope of the job, was this a bit too much for the job?

Since you went ahead and changed the fuel pump along with the sender unit (which for a 14 year old vehicle was probably the prudent thing to do), four fifty sounds like a reasonable sum for the repair, especially since you put in an OEM part (which was another good idea on your part).

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

• 1 month later...

Just want to let anybody interested in this topic of what I did to fix this!!!! I also had an eratic fuel reading on my dash gage, long story short, I took fuel pump out and took apart fuel float seeing it looked kind of loose,not much to it, bent the prongs that made contact for reading fuel level in and works great now.

Archived