CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

fuel pump still not working

Mike Moyer Jr.

i have a 1997 cadillac seville 4.6l .i replaced the fuel pump but fuel pump still not working all fuses are good and changed fuel pump relay still not working .anti theft reading on display saying car may not start .does this have anything to do with the fuel pump not coming on.what do i need to do to fix the fuel pump problem.

thanks

If you have a security system message then you need to fix that problem before you do anything else. The DIM and PCM will conspire against you otherwise.

If there is a message, the car is throwing an OBD code that will tell you why. Turn the key on, and, on the A/C console, press <Off> and <Pass Warmer> simultaneously and hold for a few seconds until all the dash bulbs light up like you just turned on the key, then release the buttons. Watch the DIC for messages that will go through all the modules, giving you the OBD codes detected by each one. Write them down and post them here. If you miss one or two, press <Off> again to start the process over. Watch for CURRENT codes; these are problems that are being detected right now. HISTORY codes are important too because everything goes to HISTORY when you turn off the key.

Once we see the OBD codes we can probably tell you how to fix the security system problem.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Yep, check for codes first

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

U changed pump cuz old one was not working? Were u sure it was not working? Did u check fuel pressure prior to removal? Is "new" pump a used unit or new? Do u have fuel pressure now? Did u check old pump to see if it was really bad?

The problem is not always just the pump. The wiring terminals can also be damaged from excessive current as the pump wears out.

Many new pumps now come with new harness pigtails. 'Blued' terminals can be anywhere in the tank harness. Even at the plug outside of the tank.

Requires very close inspection.

Very general picture...but you may get the idea.

post-2-0-60990700-1353964585_thumb.jpg

anti theft reading on display saying car may not start

I think you need to fix the security issue before the car will start.

I have written a tutorial on how to fix it that you can find here

If you have any questions or need help, I or another member can help.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Archived