CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

CHL2T

My daughters car has been getting harder and harder to start, Often times it turns over with no trouble other times...nada

Normally I can jiggle the shifter and move it towards neutral an it will turn over, now I get nothing.

Sometimes I can hear the solonoid click at the starter but now there is nothing but a relay click. Also the shifter is suddenly not releasing the parking brake.

Neutral safety switch?

PRNDL switch?

Also like and idiot, I was dinking with the car in neutral and it rolled into the back of my Cuda and may have possibly crunched the grille........dammit, stupid, moron and of course I can't get the car started to back it off and see the damage......... IDIOT!!

Thanks

Don't let your first ride be your last ride in a Cadillac!

I assume that your daughter's car is the 1995 SLS that you mention in your profile.

By your post, you mean by "hard to start" that you must jiggle the shifter to get the starter to spin, which is an adjustment on the shifter. But, now, you have a click on the relay but no starter spin-over, which is an issue with the starter solenoid.

The first thing to do is to run the OBD codes and post them here. If you want something to do right now, I would check the battery cables and clean them. The positive cable has three terminals in the big red plastic cover over the positive terminal; pry the red plastic back, separate them, and clean between them. If there is a lot of corrosion, you can get a plastic washer from the auto parts store to make the cable tighten up snug.

Why can't you start the 'Cuda and move it, so you don't have to wait to get the SLS going?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The Cuda is parked in the carport, I was able to push the SLS back and found that it crunched the grille :( not bad but still sucks.

No codes other than the pintle out of range and the low side temp circuit. Nothing to do with the no start

Yeah, it would sometimes click the solonoid and then the starter would catch up so I am pretty sure the starter is on the way out.

Now however there is no solonoid click just the relays when I turn the key

Is the shifter adjustment performed in the console or under the hood? The cheesy chilton I have doesn't go into any real detail

I'l check the battery connections when my back is feeling better

Here are some pics

Thanks

post-19830-0-22527900-1352155990_thumb.j

post-19830-0-22069000-1352156011_thumb.j

Pulled the codes and found IO27 PRNDL switch failure...... it is history though and not current..... I would think that if it was current then that would explain the no start?.....Right?

Sigh......

Pulled the codes and found IO27 PRNDL switch failure...... it is history though and not current..... I would think that if it was current then that would explain the no start?.....Right?

Sigh......

I would think so but - if it were my car, I'd check the connection to the PRNDL switch - it may be all corroded. You might have to clean the contacts and it would be fine.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Went to loosen the NSS bolts and found them already loose and the connectors have been pulled loose and are dangling. No real surprise there. (previous owner) Tried to get a 3/32 pin in to clock it but that is nearly impossible with the limited space, I really don't want to pull and replace it but it sure seems like that's gonna be the only way to find out

:(

well there you go. hopefully an easy fix. I really like the red car. I am not sure if the NSS controls the park brake release servo but I would say it very likely does.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Sounds like the issue was the switch was unplugged and it is misadjusted. You will need to adjust a new switch also so I would adjust the current one and see if you can get it to work. You might need to fabricate a pin that is L-shaped in order to access it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Soooo..... Is there an easy way to bypass the switch to eliminate the possibility that it is the starter rely and/ or the solonoid?

I read an old thread regarding using a jumper wire but am unsure where and how to proceed...

Thanks for the help, I'm gonna get this thing figgerd out if it kills me!

Been dinking with the NSS and it would seem that I cannot get the 3/32 pin in to adjust the setting.

Is it possible that it is so far out of whack that the "hole" is nowhere nerar the adjustment slot?

I am going to pull the whole assembly out and check it out, but seems the nut for the shift lever has a mushroomed head that won't allow the socket to slide over it.....open end wrench seems the only way at the moment.......

Oh and did I mention, IT"S FACKING COLD OUT THERE!

I'm just stupid, The nut for the lever is a 15 not 14....duh

Got the switch out and apart and am gonna try cleaning it up a bit, all of the grease inside is pretty well gummed up and not looking very good

Before I pulled it out I checked the alignment of the hole and it is right there while in neutral......

As for bypassing the thing, is is as simple as connecting the purple and yellw wires together??

Thanks

Cleaned up the inside of the switch, it is worn and the contacts were looking a bit iffy, a little bend here and a tweak there and they seem to all be making good contact..

Gonna re-install and see what I can see........

Still nothing :(

Sure seems like the starter relay/ solonoid at this point........

Not looking forward to yanking the intake......

Removing the intake manifold is a 20-30 minute job on the Northstar engine. Not a big deal at all. I would MUCH rather change a starter on a Northstar vs. another engine that has the starter next to the exhaust manifold with rust and crud falling into my eyes...

Take your starter to a place that rebuilds starters and have them check it for you. Having your existing starter repaired will be less money than a chain-store starter and will be much better as far as quality is concerned.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Yanking the manifold wasn't all that hard..... pulled the starter and took it to be tested and it tested good three times although the retraction is a little slow.

Before yanking the manifold I connected a jumper across the yellow and purple at the harness connector with no result

So as a recap

PRNDL Adjusted properly.... no crank

PRNDL Jumper........ No crank

Remove starter..... Tests OK (gonna reinstall and see if I can ark across the terminals and see if I get a result

Can hear relay click.........

I will keep posting till I/ we get this fingered out......

OK, I have it all back together and the starter now cranks, still does the solonoid click and then it will engage, I installed a jumper from the solonoid, so if it acts up again I can jump it from there.

Now it seems that I have an excessive idle speed..... around 2000

Is this caused by a leak in the manifold gasket?

If so at least I am now an expert at removing it :)

Thank for the help

I forgot to mention that when I fired it up the first time I forgot to connect the electrical connector for the T P S.

Would that be the reason for the high Idle?

Does it need to re learn or something?

I'm gonna try disconnecting the battery and see if It will re-set itself?

GOOD NEWS! I forgot the other tps commector, fired it up and it idles like a champ!

Pretty sure that it was a combination of the PRNDL being outta whack and the iffy starter.

Hopefully this thread will help others out with this common? problem

Thanks again

Thanks for all of the updates and info, glad you got it fixed, but....did you find a definitive problem?, could this be a bad solenoid given its slow retraction?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is the soloniod......I couldn't get the new starter cuz I'm broke at the moment so I'm going to just let it slide till it acts up again......

I was happy to see you change your opinion change regarding your initial feeling that the intake might be difficult or hard to remove. KHE constantly points out that R&Ring a starter on a Northstar is a cake walk compared to removing the old school starters behind exhaust pipes. I have done a few of those and they were hard to change. The funny thing is, that mechanics out there sell a starter replacement to their customers as this is a time consuming and difficult job, when its not

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

thats right. but you know what. Out of all the cadillacs I have owned and worked on I have never once pulled a starter. never had a problem with one yet. location is FTW

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

That is what the guru used to say, the location protects the starter from heat vs it being next to an exhaust pipe,

Archived