CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cadillac Leather seats

winterset

Back in '96, I was going to get cloth seats in my Caddy!! The salesman talked me out of it, and asked why I would want to do that. I told him that I planned on keeping my car for a long time, and I that I always thought the leather seats in cars always cracked, and looked like crap after 5 only years. He told me that Cadillac acknowledged this problem, and no longer applied the color on top, but rather pressure dyed the leather throughout, and this was no longer an issue for Cadillac. My Question is if this is really true. I must say my seats still look new after all these years and I don't regret my decision to go with leather. I think it added between 1k and 2k to the car. not bad since the chrome wheels were ~1000

ALSO: I clean & condition the seats & steering wheel about once or twice a year. the other day I intentionally parked the car in the hot sun & cleaned the leather. I am convinced the leather cleaner & conditioned work in better when the seats are hot & soft then when they are cold & hard.

I have found that the interiors of 90's Cadillacs nearly always look like new even now. The exception is that the Zebrano wood on the dash is protected by a very thick acrylic coat that will crack after about ten years. There is a thread here on how to fix that by filling the cracks with fresh acrylic. Also, the windshield defroster vent gets hard and tends to pop out of the dashboard after about ten or twelve years.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I love topics like these. especially being the mid 90s are my all time favoriite. My 97 speaks for itself. my 96 Deville is hitting 200k and the seats are well broken in and extremely comfortable.

No tears at all on either car.

here are my 97 Seville current

1025101308a.jpg

1025101308.jpg

100_2150.jpg

100_2149.jpg

Deville. 195000 miles last year.

th_100_1885.jpg

th_100_1886.jpg

th_100_1904.jpg

th_1127091409a.jpg

th_1127091409b.jpg

Deville current. seats were out of my 96 ETC.

th_100_2531.jpg

th_100_2532.jpg

th_100_2533.jpg

th_100_2534.jpg

th_100_2535.jpg.

All the heater elementss in both cars are good also.

Hope this explained it well

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

never seen front seats that match rear seats for wear/cracks after 10 yrs. kid is looking at 04 vue. has aftermarket leather seats. dealer said he sees that all the time. i say BS. people do not typically replace cloth interiors with aftermarket leather. i dont know if rear seats are out of the sun or shielded a bit more than front seats. most pass seats look much better than drivers seat but both tend to display cracks.

Adding leather is a selling point for used car lots especially new/used dealers, they have the resources and staff to do it fairly easy. And places like leatherseats.com makes it possible to add leather to about anything.

Me personally i love the look of tight unworn leather seats but we all know they feel a lot better broken in. My 96 fleetwood has one 1/2" crack where all fleetwood seats crack, other than that the center arm rest the leather is cracking into small pieces and I predict ill need to recover it soon but that should be fairly cheap to do.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

i avoid dealers. too many annoying salesman. i looked at a new camry with catzkin seats? on showroom floor. i must not be up on new car dealer tricks to sell cars. i see new leather on a used car and i think they are trying to cover up something. smoke damage. flood damage. whatever

I have the tan leather in the 95 and it is cracking, splitting and the drivers seat has actual holes in it. The color on the steering wheel is also completely worn off.

I check the local yards fairly regular and have yet to find a complete interior to swap in........someday mayhap :)

Don't let your first ride be your last ride in a Cadillac!

My wife has a vw and what I thought and swore was leather is actually what vw calls "leatherette" its fake leather but supposed to be better than leather. I admit its nearly identicle to the real thing. They haven't used it enough years to see how long it really stands up I don't think tho. Well see.

Oh and also on my black leather in my black 96 fleetwood, its never garaged and no tinted windows so it gets mighty mighty hot in there so for it to only have 1 tiny crack in one seat ain't too bad.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

thats what I worry about with my seville. If you look at the rear window on the seville it actually is over the rear seat which means the sun beats right on the seats. On the deville the window is straighter and doesnt even come close to the seats.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

My wife has a vw and what I thought and swore was leather is actually what vw calls "leatherette" its fake leather but supposed to be better than leather. I admit its nearly identicle to the real thing. They haven't used it enough years to see how long it really stands up I don't think tho. Well see.

Oh and also on my black leather in my black 96 fleetwood, its never garaged and no tinted windows so it gets mighty mighty hot in there so for it to only have 1 tiny crack in one seat ain't too bad.

I bought a new VW in 1966.

It was dark blue and had white "Leaherette"...

Never had an issue with it in the 4 years I owned it.

Posted Image

Archived