CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Vintage Cadillac USA

Hello out there!!

Ok Guys & Gals,

I hope this will start a exchange of ideas, remedies,fixes,etc. for us "Vintage Caddy" guys! I'm based in Southern California & when I said "hello" I told you all I know about computers! I peck and my spelling is bad! ( thanks spell check). I hope this is the right format and that a "Forum" is the right place. Please let me know.

Caddy Dave

I've been playing with cars since 1974. This 1958 Coup de ville is my second personal car. I buy, sale, find, cars & parts for people and myself. A close friend has a shop in Pomona, CA and together we manage to question most things that we find on our cars and others.With alot of "Old Timers" slowing down, I thought this would be a good way to meet other " Car guys" pros & non-pros and to seek out help.

So I 'm not sure about all the rules with these Forums but I'm sure someone will! I hope if there is question or concern others can help!

Lets start with my car! I just changed: waterpump,powersteering,generator,carburator,fuel pump,radiator,cam shaft,lifters, & push rods. I know, I know... any way, after we primed and started the engine we have a "chirping" noise!! It follows the revs of the motor. Does anyone have any idea?

The only thing we have not changed is: rocker arm assmbly, distributor(though it does have a Pertronix unit), transmission (previous owner rebuilt 5K ago) :bluesbrothers::bluesbrothers:

Welcome. I'm going to move this thread back to the main forum -- no worries, just will get more attention there.

:nopicssmiley:

:welcomesmiley:

I think you'll figure the forum thing out. My favorite thing to point out is in the upper right of the main page at the top it says "Today's", which will list all the messages posted recently no matter what subforum. If like me you want to see everything that is the best way to go about it.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

chirping? Thats odd. Like anything just narrow it down to the area its coming from. Could be internal like timing chain or external like belts and pulleys. Could even be exhaust leaking or fan clutch. Try to narrow it down.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Where are the pics. That should be rule #1. lol

Definately sounds by what you are saying to be a belt chirp.

I absolutely love the 50s and 60s era Cadillacs.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Where are the pics. That should be rule #1. lol

Definately sounds by what you are saying to be a belt chirp.

I absolutely love the 50s and 60s era Cadillacs.

x2, always much bigger in person than in pictures. I have a cadillac book that talks about every model of every year cadillacs and by the numbers the 74-76 deville/fleetwoods were the longest ever produced. But the shear mass of the 50s and 60s cars just have more of a presence then the boxy 70s and 80s cars. They arent the biggest by numbers but they are the biggest in person and I love big cars :)

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

So I 'm not sure about all the rules with these Forums but I'm sure someone will! I hope if there is question or concern others can help!

Lets start with my car! I just changed: water pump, power steering, generator, carburetor,fuel pump,radiator,cam shaft,lifters, & push rods. I know, I know... any way, after we primed and started the engine we have a "chirping" noise!! It follows the revs of the motor. Does anyone have any idea?

The only thing we have not changed is: rocker arm assembly, distributor(though it does have a Pertronix unit), transmission (previous owner rebuilt 5K ago) :bluesbrothers: :bluesbrothers:

I've heard chirping noises in old cars that use multiple fan belts, usually coming from the font of the engine. You can use the cardboard tube form an empty roll of paper towels, or even two taped end-to-end, to localize where it is coming from without getting your head or hand near the fan blade. Usually it's one of the fan belts, and may be normal for a new belt on a new or very clean pulley. Sometimes it's a bearing seal on a power steering pump or even damper wheel. If the belts aren't loose or over-tight, and you don't have an oil leak or power steering leak, you probably don't have a problem.

I have also heard a piston starved for oil emit a high-pitched squeak, as well a oil-starved seals, and, of course, something rubbing against the fan belt like a slightly bent alternator turbine, or a slipping fan belt, usually at idle on an alternator, the highest-stress pulley situation. You really do want to use a cardboard tube or whatever to localize the sound.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 9 years later...

All cars have an oil filter adaptor, because casting a block with an oil filter center thread and O-ring gap is not really a thoughtful thing to do.  If anyone ever puts a jack under your oil filter, you will be thankful for that feature.

If someone has put a dummy in place of your oil filter, that's not a good thing to leave there.  Chilton's manuals are still available for vintage cars, and you can verify the oil filter placement and part number for name brands like Fram or AC/Delco.  If you need a new adaptor, a salvage yard is your best option.  Oil pressure sending units should still be available form the aftermarket.  JC Whitney specializes in parts for cars 10-20 years old but has parts for older cars as well.

Recycling yard engines for Cadillac years 1963-1975, endings with 390 ci, 429 ci, 472 ci, and 500 ci have similar accessory mounting and the oil filter adaptor should work on your 1963 engine.  The older engines were a different design, even the 1959-1962 390 cid, and most parts aren't interchangeable with 1963 and later engines.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.