CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

red hot exhaust p080,p132,po52,p132

steveo412

im back again,,i cant win!1995 cadillac seville,, my exhaust on the back near the firewall is glowing red,and im geting alittle white smoke from the exhaust,im geting these codes p032,p052,p080,im thinking i dont have the vacuum hoes in the right places,thay all were burnt,so i did alot of guessing,if annyone has the service book please can post the right vacuum diagram,,any help would be great..steve

P032 = Open MAP sensor signal. Check ALL wiring to your MAP sensor for damage or bare spots. Considering where the fire was it's likely the wiring was damaged.

P052 = PCM memory reset. I wouldn't worry much on this one since there were so many wires that had to be replaced. This code also sets sometimes when the battery has been disconnected for a while.

P080 = Fuel System Rich. This has me considering the possibility of what CAUSED the fire to begin with. Perhaps the rich fuel mixture was present to begin with, caused the catalytic converter to fail and over heat the exhaust, as it's doing now, and there was a fire as a result. My suggestion is to find what is causing your rich fuel mixture FIRST. A faulty MAP sensor COULD be responsible.

The glowing exhaust is a good sign of a clogged cat-con. Another sign would be an obvious loss of power. The car would feel like it is consistently under a heavy load, and would be very sluggish on acceleration. Too much fuel can cause fuel to ignite in the cat-con and damage it.

big4870885.jpg

thank u carla,i see the mat sensor there are 2 pvcs that come out of it,where does the big one go to?i have it hooked up to the valve cover,and the little one to the evap,,is that right?and i think your right ,cause it was bright red,right where the fire was

Steve, fill us in on this car, is this the car you rewired? What is the history? I forget, you got rid of the car that had the head gasket problem?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

If the exhaust is glowing, you are dumping raw gas in it. The white "smoke" is more likely unburnt fuel vapor. I'd bet it smells like gas. You most likely have a ruptured FPR diaphragm.

yes mike the 94 eldo is gone,yes i rewired the main engine harness,from the pcm to the fuse box,everything went together fine,i started it up again to let it run for atille,i took my flash light and looked behide the firewall to make sure no wires or plasic were melting,and i seen the exhaust red hot,so i turned the car off and checked the codes i posted,as carla said its a map sensor code,but would a map sensor turn your exhaust red like that?or would it be a vacuum leak also,i checked them all and there fine,there is one small pvc that comes up from the bottom of the engine right bye the powersteering box,,i wasnt sure where it went,,my book has some info about vacuum so i think i got it right,,it runs to the pcm and evap solenoid,,my whole point here is to make sure i got my vacuum right,and take it from there,cause i was reading and people had the same problem and it a vacuum related,,replace the map sensor and see if that helps?maybe a cloged cat? all my wiring is good i checked it several times,any suggestions?

I think the FPR is located inside the intake on the 94,

This could be the reason, the fire started

Also check for a clogged cat as was suggested

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Check out the FPR.

Did you notice if there was a misfire when you did run the car? If so, then you should rule out dead cylinders. If one or more cylinders aren't getting spark, that raw gas has to go somewhere...the exhaust. A dead cylinder won't set a rich fuel code, but it's worth ruling out anyhow.

Leaking fuel injectors or too much fuel pressure can also cause a rich condition.

big4870885.jpg

Fuel pressure regulator is under the beauty cover, not the intake manifold. Take the 4 nuts off, lift cover off, right fire wall side, kind of round with a plastic vacuum line connected to it. Pull the vacuum line off, it should not be wet with gasoline.

ok i took off the pvc hose from the nippel and it smells like gas,it has a real bad odor,i didnt see any gas coming out,but didnt have the car runing due to the red glow,should the gas smell be there?or is that normal,,i ordered one anyway and a map sensor,,,,it does look like thats what causeed the fire,maybe it got so hot ,it started to melt the firewall plasic and so on,,i guess its good this happened,i could of been threw another fire,,it gets bright red!

ok i took off the pvc hose from the nippel and it smells like gas,it has a real bad odor,i didnt see any gas coming out,but didnt have the car runing due to the red glow,should the gas smell be there?or is that normal,,i ordered one anyway and a map sensor,,,,it does look like thats what causeed the fire,maybe it got so hot ,it started to melt the firewall plasic and so on,,i guess its good this happened,i could of been threw another fire,,it gets bright red!

If it smells like gas...you need a new one...

Posted Image

cats will glow red when excess fuel is dumped into them. pretty rare for an exhaust manifold to be red. you say the firewall area is reddish? very rich mixture. even a bad fpr would not cause a red cat. maybe injectors are stuck open? is computer telling them to stay open?

You mean FPR hose not PVC hose of course

You should not smell fuel at the FPR vacuum hose, if you started the car, it would probably spit fuel from the FPR

well where do i go from here if the map sensor and the fpr wouldnt make that red,,how would i check for a stuck open injector,,or should i take it to the garge

You remove the fuel rail hold downs and lift the rail with the injectors attached. Turn the key on to pressurize the fuel system and look for a leaky injector. That said, I think your problem is the FPR. You should have checked that at key on as well.

i worked on another GM car recently. checked fuel pressure at idle. 45psi? took off vacuum line to FPR and it jumped to 49psi? not a big jump. i think the motor idled about the same, vacuum line connected or not. seems to me the computer will try and lean out the mixture to correct it. but we have an odd situation here. the car caught fire. from the cat? this might be a job for a good shop to look at. don't want to do any more damage. are you 100% sure wiring is correct? same for vacuum lines/fittings. i think the 95 intake is nylon. should be almost identical to 96 which is what i have. slightly different molded plastic hose nipple fittings.

post-13898-129414853977_thumb.jpgthank u guys,im a 100 percent that the wiring is right,i checked it may times and took my time making sure all the conections where clean before i put them on,,all grounds are on,the vacuun and fitings im not a 100 percent,i mean there all hooked up and not leaking,but the rubber fiting where the 2 vacuum hoses go right on top of the tp is split,i will fix that today,maybe its not geting a good conection,this car has steel rails,,and yes i think thats how it caught on fire from the red hot exhaust,brcause thats where evrything is melted,i will do what ranger said and replace the map and the fpr ,and do what u said joe check for a leakie injector,,after that im sending it to a garge down the street,he told me also to replace the map sensor cause it could be dumping raw gas in the exgaust,,i took some pics

It's been awhile...worked on a Quad 4 once that had a extremely failed FPR. The FPR vacuum line was like a wide open fuel line...tons of gas right in to the manifold. You dont see that very often.

A red cat cant be good. You can check the back pressure of the cat at a forward O2 sensor fitting. Anything above 1 1/2- 2 psi while running is a plugged/melted cat.

Archived