• Continental
    • Firestone
    • Goodyear
    • Michelin
    • Pirelli
    • Sumitomo
    • Yokohama
    • OTHER

In light of the recent tire discussions, I thought I'd be interesting to see what we Cadillac owners are running. Please choose your brand from the list, whether you've put them on or they came on the car. Unfortunately, only 10 values are allowed, so I had to drop some of the popular ones.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

• 1 year later...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Movement like that could also be related to the knuckles. Jack the rear wheel up and grab it at 12 and 6 o'clock and see if you have movement.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I have Dunlop all the way around. They are super in the rain, if you look at the tred design it's no wonder they hold so well. They might be a little to stickey in dry weather so I will have to see just how many miles I get on them. I tend to be very agresive now and then,well more now so these are nice tires for me.

On Friday you can delete one from Goodyear and add one to Michelin Sport Pilot A/S I having them installed and road forced at the same place that Rickster took his car to cure the dreaded 68 MPH shake...

Man are these tires expensive! I hope they are worth it.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Greg,

Save you money....go for the Michelin Pilot XGT HR tires instead - you won't notice that much of a differrence. I have been running them for 2 years with no real complaints. Also, look at some of the newer highly rated tires like the Turanza and surprise, surprise that new Goodyear ?? tire.

Personally, I would still go to Volco Tires first - get a quote and then go to Duecks. The tire manager at Duecks (Don) use to be the tire manager at Volco and knows his stuff. He will also bargain with you - tell him you and your friends are long-time Volco customers anf that you will be getting all of them to switch to him.

The current manager at Volco is another Don and will probably do anything to keep you from going to Duecks. The 2 Don's are still friends - so play them against each other.

Good luck.

Tom R.

1998 Cadillac STS with 102K Miles

Thanks Tomba

But XGT HRs no fit

I have 17" rims

The Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus does fit but the Pilot Sports were only $20 buck more a corner so I figured ahh what the heck...

I'm buying them "freinds and family" price from a tire shop in North Van... The owner lives next door to Eddie...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

• 1 month later...

I am very happy with my Vogue tyres; their customer service is super. (had to get one replaced last year due to roadforce defect, and company was very cooperative).

And they look so unique & classy!

"My worst day riding, is better than my best day working."

I put Michelin 225/60R16 XW4.... I did a lot of research on this and the car (99 Deville) came from the factory with these new. The ride is wonderfull. Don't let the tire stores try to sell you the Michelin Symmetry they are not the same tire at all.

• 6 months later...

I bought Sumitomo Z-rated,since they were innexpensive for my STS.

They are OK,but I 'll tell you what,I'll never buy anything but Good Years from now on.

Even over the Michelins...

Florin.

Stay away from Jap-Crap. :(

If you have to deal with snow like I do, winter tires can be needed...

However the P3000 CINTURATO M&S™ by Pirelli are the best All Season tire, I've drivin in (no comparison to the Symetry, those are crazy in the snow and down right dangerous in my opinion).

My father has been driving in Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse winter storms all his life and can't believe at how well this Caddy combined with these tire performs.

Now ist not like your on dry pavement but stopping distance is greatly reduced and take off/cornering is much improved, rarely does the rear end kick out (does if I uh... have fun in the snow :))

I only had one "oh -exploit-" moment with these tires when I was making a left turn onto a untouched side street that had a nice coating of snow and then thick ice under, car turned then slid diagnolly (kept moveing forward and while parallel to the street slowly got closer to curb and wouldn't respond to my sterring input) and the curb stopped me and the car drifted out a bit. When I got out of the car to check to see if I had damaged anything I almost fell on my *smurf* from how slippery it was, could have been real bad.

http://www.us.pirelli.com/en_US/tyres/cata...;productid=2664

IPB Image

I believe they are "T-118mph" or "H-130mph" speed rated, good enough for my 112mph limited deville. All in all a great All Season "Performance Minded" touring tire. Power is nothing w/o control :) Was purchased for 90-100 each. Comes with an 85,000 mile warranty.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I have Michelin Hydro Edge on my car, it rides great. But I dread paying to replace them , and I need two already........

I'm considering Hydro Edge. How are they for quietness and how many miles on tires that need replacement?

I have Michelin Hydro Edge on my car, it rides great. But I dread paying to replace them , and I need two already........

I'm considering Hydro Edge. How are they for quietness and how many miles on tires that need replacement?

I have Hydro Edge on my Taurus. They have about 55,000 on them now. Will probably replace 2 of them at about 65,000 and the other 2 at about 70,000. That is based on how they look NOW.

Posted Image

The Hydroedge are a good tire, but if your looking for a comparably good tire, I tell ya, those P3000's might not have the fancy treads that the hydroedge shows on it, but with an 80,000 warranty, great traction in all conditions, and plenty of room for spirited driving (resist sidewall bend pretty good), a price range of 80=100 depending no where you buy them, and they are a great deal!

We have a heavy slush on buffalo roads today, side streets have a slushy snow, I remembered just how great these things handle.

Hey can't blame me for trying to get others on these, this is one of the areas where I didn't mind buying from a foriegn based company, I have some italian in me so I guess it helps the home land (the do produce alot of tires in georgia though)

The Green's Machines

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

• 2 weeks later...

The P3000 scored well in a Consumer Report test from a few years ago (4th, in their 2001 report), but it didn't do as well in their most recent one (12th, in their 2005 report), among a crop of more recent designs and materials. The top three were the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred, the Michelin X Radial, and the Hankook Mileage Plus II H725. Although the Pirellis fell to 12th, they were one of only two tires that scored excellent in hydroplane resistance. However, CR's assessment of its other attributes, including poor scores for winter traction, comfort, and treadlife, dropped it down to the lower tier of the rankings.

The HydroEdge carries a 90,000 mile treadwear warranty, but as with most tires, you probably won't see that in actual service. The quietest tires from the CR test were the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred and the Michelin X Radial. Interestingly, the Michelin X Radial is the ONLY tire that didn't score below "Good" in any one category. All other tires had at least one "Fair" or lower rating. If you don't have any particular allegience to a brand, there are some fantastic all season tires out today that handily outperform those designs from just 5 years ago. And I'm sure we'll be able to say the same thing 5 years from now, about the tires sold today.

The P3000 scored well in a Consumer Report test from a few years ago (4th, in their 2001 report), but it didn't do as well in their most recent one (12th, in their 2005 report), among a crop of more recent designs and materials. The top three were the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred, the Michelin X Radial, and the Hankook Mileage Plus II H725. Although the Pirellis fell to 12th, they were one of only two tires that scored excellent in hydroplane resistance. However, CR's assessment of its other attributes, including poor scores for winter traction, comfort, and treadlife, dropped it down to the lower tier of the rankings.

The HydroEdge carries a 90,000 mile treadwear warranty, but as with most tires, you probably won't see that in actual service. The quietest tires from the CR test were the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred and the Michelin X Radial. Interestingly, the Michelin X Radial is the ONLY tire that didn't score below "Good" in any one category. All other tires had at least one "Fair" or lower rating. If you don't have any particular allegience to a brand, there are some fantastic all season tires out today that handily outperform those designs from just 5 years ago. And I'm sure we'll be able to say the same thing 5 years from now, about the tires sold today.

No wonder I love my Michelin X Radials. By far, the BEST tire I've owned! B)

I certainly have to look at the Michelin X Radial next time tire shopping comes around. Judgeing by the tire that was put on because of a highway tire blowout (something was in it and it flew out, it lost air, see thread here:) the P3000 haven't changed at all since they were put on (in 2003 I think). I find however having it inflated near the 35 max listed on the sidewall improves it over having it at 30 that my door reads (which pertains to OEM tires)(especially on the highway once their warmed up). Contacting Pirelli they also recommending running the tire higher in the PSI rather than lower. Sounds like they've stayed the same and the compition has moved up, was the tire tested the M&S or non-M&S P3000 (from my understanding M&S in rating for tires to show better traction in winter weather or something).

Thanks for all this info, will shop around, the main thing that drew me to the P3000 was a performance minded tire with a bargain price tag of 90 some bucks.

The Green's Machines

I assume the tire tested was M&S rated. Specifically, it was the Pirelli P3000 Cinturato. They were all-season tires, and I think they have to have the M&S on the sidewall to be classified as "all season" tires. The only requirement, by the way, for a tire manufacturer to be able to put M&S on the sidewall is a specific tread-to-void ratio. That's it. As long as there's mathematically enough space between the tire treads, they can put the rating on. It has nothing to do with actual performance, or tread design efficiency.

I also prefer a higher pressure in the tires than what Cadillac recommends, especially for the front. I run about 35 psi in the front tires. I'm actually running the recommended 30 psi in the rear, but on the front, the handling feels vague and the tire has a pronounced "squat" to it (looks underinflated).

• 10 months later...

Pirelli has in house testing thing for M&S ratings too (read it on tirerack).

Anyone familier with BFGoodrich Traction T/A tires (in the T-Speed rating) Looking at those and Firestone Firehawk GT tires (v-rated)

The Green's Machines

JUst for the record, I have had the Perelli P zero nero for over a year now. I have to say that they are the best tire I have ever owned. Have had the Michellin Sport and this tire is by far... better. Cost less as well.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

• 1 month later...

Archived