• Continental
    • Firestone
    • Goodyear
    • Michelin
    • Pirelli
    • Sumitomo
    • Yokohama
    • OTHER

Thanks for that link Jim, look at the 60 Convertible on this page, love the tires

http://widewhitetires.com/americanclassic.html

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in the day, they were so common, today, it would be hard to make a graceful entrance with a 60, :lol:

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Back in the day, they were so common, today, it would be hard to make a graceful entrance with a 60, :lol:

In a MINT '60 convertible... ANY ENTRANCE would be REGAL and GRACEFUL...

At least in MY opinion, it would... :yupi3ti:

Posted Image

I hear ya! :lol:

Who else here remembers "Porta Walls"? For those that never heard of them, they were whitewalls that would mount on the sidewall of a blackwall tire! They were sold seperate from the tires and not glued on, just inserted between the tire and the rim during the mounting process. Yes, some of them came off from time to time, but they were much cheaper than buying whitewalls.

I should have searched before I got in the wayback machine. Here ya go!

http://www.portawalls.com/

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Who else here remembers "Porta Walls"? For those that never heard of them, they were whitewalls that would mount on the sidewall of a blackwall tire! They were sold seperate from the tires and not glued on, just inserted between the tire and the rim during the mounting process. Yes, some of them came off from time to time, but they were much cheaper than buying whitewalls.

I should have searched before I got in the wayback machine. Here ya go!

http://www.portawalls.com/

Heck... they don't have then in 18 inch to fit mine... :(

I also remember seeing one ... every once in a while... where someone had snagged a curb and tore a chunk out of it.

It would look funny then... 98 percent white but with a black gap in it... :) :)

Posted Image

Who else here remembers "Porta Walls"?

Put me in that group. They were a PITA to mount back in the days when I was the tire mounting "machine".

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

goodyear assurance triple treads. i put a set on my 05 montecarlo a little over a year ago. loved them except for they were a bit noisey. not off road truck tire noisey but still. i just put a set on my deville today. this set is very quite. there an awsome tire. they ride good and grip like crazy, very sure footed feel to them. i cant imagine a better tire for wet weather. iv driven my monte threw lots of standing water at highway speeds and the goodyears never offer any thing but grip. the ones on my mote have id guess 20 maybe 30k miles and they seem to wear ok despite only being rotated once and i hardly ever check the psi. they have lost ...maybe a 1/4 inch of tread or less. Thats just a rough guess. Any way i like them.

• 11 months later...

I've been running Michelin Symmetry on my 2000 DeVille, and the ride couldn't be better; very quiet and comfortable. Just had a road hazard blow out, and immediately replaced the tire with another Symmetry. I have a 2007 DTS with a different Michelin style tire, and the ride can't come close to comparing with the 2000 DeVille.

Steve M.

I've been running Michelin Symmetry on my 2000 DeVille, and the ride couldn't be better; very quiet and comfortable. Just had a road hazard blow out, and immediately replaced the tire with another Symmetry. I have a 2007 DTS with a different Michelin style tire, and the ride can't come close to comparing with the 2000 DeVille.

Steve M.

Steve,

What size tires are on your 2007??

Jim

Posted Image

Steve M.

Steve,

Jim,

I'm pretty sure they are Michelin Pilot, 245X50X18. I'll check; if that's not correct, I'll let you know.

Steve M.

2007 DTS, Black Raven

Jim

Steve,

Jim,

I'm pretty sure they are Michelin Pilot, 245X50X18. I'll check; if that's not correct, I'll let you know.

Steve M.

2007 DTS, Black Raven

OK... I had forgot if you had the Performance Sedan with the 18 inch wheels or not.

Remember that your car has the Magnetic Suspension and the 50 series tires don't much sidewall to soak up bumps and stuff in the road.

The regular DTS does have a little bit smoother ride on city streets, but out on the highway, I will trade the smoother ride for extra stability of the Magnetic Ride suspension.

But even the new DTS with the regular suspension don't ride as smooth as the older ones do.

Posted Image

I just recently purchased another set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires for the Eldorado. This is my second set of Pilot Sport A/S tires for this car. The last set provided 50K miles of service and still showed tread upon replacement. All four tires wore very evenly with 6K mile rotations. Having a unidirectional tread pattern, the rotations were only front to rear as I didn't want to have the tires remounted with each rotation. Nonetheless, the tires wore very evenly and lasted for 50K miles, were quiet (very quiet in fact), and provided very good handling in both dry and wet conditions, as well as good traction in snowy conditions. Definitely the best tires I have ever purchased. I went through two sets of original equipment Goodyear Eagle GA tires with this car before switching over to the Michelins and got about 35K miles out of each set with regular 6K mile rotations. Overall, the tires performed reasonably well but were shot at 35K miles. Wouldn't recommend the Goodyear tires based on my experience.

The STS is on its second set of original equipment Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires. They do run quietly and provide good handling in the wet and dry but are poor in the snow and don't seem to last as long as the Pilot Sport A/S on the Eldorado. And they don't wear out at the same rate. At 27K or 28K miles the fronts need replacing but the rears last for about 40K or so requiring me to replace tires in sets of two rather than four. If they all wore out together, I'd replace them with the Pilot Sport A/S Plus.

Steve,

Jim,

Steve M.

2007 DTS, Black Raven

OK... I had forgot if you had the Performance Sedan with the 18 inch wheels or not.

Remember that your car has the Magnetic Suspension and the 50 series tires don't much sidewall to soak up bumps and stuff in the road.

The regular DTS does have a little bit smoother ride on city streets, but out on the highway, I will trade the smoother ride for extra stability of the Magnetic Ride suspension.

But even the new DTS with the regular suspension don't ride as smooth as the older ones do.

Hey Jim,

I bought this leased vehicle used, and lots of "Stuff" just came with it. Now I have to go back and read the Owner's book. This car has stuff on it I'm still learning about, and Magnetic Suspension is now added to that list. I do know it has some traction feature on it, but I try not to drive in the inclement weather, so have never used this feature. The car does everything for me that I need, and more. I especially appreciate the auto-dimming high beam control and headlight cornering features when driving the country roads at night. Then, there's the sun shield in the rear window that I've yet to use - - or need here in MD. Nice option my wife's 2000 DeVille has is the availability of door lock controls on the rear doors; my 2007 DTS has door locks only on the front doors.

Hey Jim,

I bought this leased vehicle used, and lots of "Stuff" just came with it. Now I have to go back and read the Owner's book. This car has stuff on it I'm still learning about, and Magnetic Suspension is now added to that list. I do know it has some traction feature on it, but I try not to drive in the inclement weather, so have never used this feature. The car does everything for me that I need, and more. I especially appreciate the auto-dimming high beam control and headlight cornering features when driving the country roads at night. Then, there's the sun shield in the rear window that I've yet to use - - or need here in MD. Nice option my wife's 2000 DeVille has is the availability of door lock controls on the rear doors; my 2007 DTS has door locks only on the front doors.

Steve,

I don't know your driving style, but the Performance Sedan really comes into it's own, if driven "BRISKLY"... LOL

Then the Magnetic Suspension and lower profile tires can do what they were designed to do.

For a big ol' car, the handling capabilities of it will surprise you.

I have over 150,000 miles driving and learning about the two that I have had.

If you have any questions... I will be glad to try to answer them for you.

I also have the owners manual in a PDF file that I can email to you... "IF" you want it.

Makes it a little easier to look up things to learn about.

Down here in Texas, we call the rear window shade a "REDNECK" shade...

In the 105+ temps in the summer, it keeps the sun off of the necks of the rear seat passengers... thus preventing "RED NECKS".... LOL

Posted Image

Hey Jim,

Steve,

I don't know your driving style, but the Performance Sedan really comes into it's own, if driven "BRISKLY"... LOL

Then the Magnetic Suspension and lower profile tires can do what they were designed to do.

For a big ol' car, the handling capabilities of it will surprise you.

I have over 150,000 miles driving and learning about the two that I have had.

If you have any questions... I will be glad to try to answer them for you.

I also have the owners manual in a PDF file that I can email to you... "IF" you want it.

Makes it a little easier to look up things to learn about.

Down here in Texas, we call the rear window shade a "REDNECK" shade...

In the 105+ temps in the summer, it keeps the sun off of the necks of the rear seat passengers... thus preventing "RED NECKS".... LOL

Jim,

Thanks for the education on the DTS. Years ago, I was up on all the car stuff. These days, I'm just happy to be up! I can understand why folks would appreciate the REDNECk shade, dealing with temps like 105+. I had an office in Dallas, located about a block from Dealy Plaza (sic) where the infamous book bindery was located. I only had to visit the office a few times, but I do remember the temps can get pretty rough. Re. the owners manual in PDF file, I have the owner's manual that came with the car, if that's what you're referring to. I've just never taken the time I should to sit down and digest everything in there. Several times I've started looking for the right button to push, and can't remember where the hell it is. Sometimes I think it's funny, other times it scares me!

Regards,

Steve

Jim,

Thanks for the education on the DTS. Years ago, I was up on all the car stuff. These days, I'm just happy to be up! I can understand why folks would appreciate the REDNECk shade, dealing with temps like 105+. I had an office in Dallas, located about a block from Dealy Plaza (sic) where the infamous book bindery was located. I only had to visit the office a few times, but I do remember the temps can get pretty rough. Re. the owners manual in PDF file, I have the owner's manual that came with the car, if that's what you're referring to. I've just never taken the time I should to sit down and digest everything in there. Several times I've started looking for the right button to push, and can't remember where the hell it is. Sometimes I think it's funny, other times it scares me!

Regards,

Steve

I only mentioned the Owners Manual in PDF because... (for me)... it makes it easier and quicker to look up a particular item or procedure.

Plus, my computer is always on and the PDF is accessible and the PAPER owners manual is in the glove compartment in the car, which is in the garage.. :) :)

Another use for the Redneck shade... at night when the lights of cars behind you are bothering you... put the shade up and it blocks almost all of the glare, but you can still see fairly well out of your rearview mirror...

Posted Image

Jim,

Regards,

Steve

I only mentioned the Owners Manual in PDF because... (for me)... it makes it easier and quicker to look up a particular item or procedure.

Plus, my computer is always on and the PDF is accessible and the PAPER owners manual is in the glove compartment in the car, which is in the garage.. :) :)

Another use for the Redneck shade... at night when the lights of cars behind you are bothering you... put the shade up and it blocks almost all of the glare, but you can still see fairly well out of your rearview mirror...

Hey Jim,

Not much of a night driver anymore if I can help it, but that's something I never considered.

Thanks much.

Steve

I recently had another good report on the Michelin Hydroedge tire installed on a 2007 DTS. I talked with the owner of the car while in Florida last week. He said there was a noticeable reduction in road noise and an improvement in ride quality over the original equipment Michelins. He told me the the tire shop, Sam's club version in Michigan, instructed him to keep the tire pressure at 35 PSI cold. This was bad advice, and forced him to have to reset his tire pressure alarm each time he started the car. Unfortunately, when I inspected the tires, there was a visible wear indication of overinflation, having the center of the tread worn thin and cupped out across the face of the tire. This wear pattern was visible on all four tires. I showed him the wear problem and told him to reduce tire pressure to 33 PSI.

I can only imagine that the ride and road noise would have been reduced even further had the tires been properly inflated all along.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I recently had another good report on the Michelin Hydroedge tire installed on a 2007 DTS. I talked with the owner of the car while in Florida last week. He said there was a noticeable reduction in road noise and an improvement in ride quality over the original equipment Michelins. He told me the the tire shop, Sam's club version in Michigan, instructed him to keep the tire pressure at 35 PSI cold. This was bad advice, and forced him to have to reset his tire pressure alarm each time he started the car. Unfortunately, when I inspected the tires, there was a visible wear indication of overinflation, having the center of the tread worn thin and cupped out across the face of the tire. This wear pattern was visible on all four tires. I showed him the wear problem and told him to reduce tire pressure to 33 PSI.

I can only imagine that the ride and road noise would have been reduced even further had the tires been properly inflated all along.

I think you would be correct.

I have had three sets of Hydroedge tires.

I absolutely love them.

Unfortunately, they do not make them in the size for my DTS, or I guarantee you, that is what would be on it today.

Posted Image

Archived