CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Onstar FBI SPY

95SLS

I have never run into a situation that there was enough free space to try cruise control over 100 mph. That seems like the sort of time you would want to directly control the car.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have never run into a situation that there was enough free space to try cruise control over 100 mph. That seems like the sort of time you would want to directly control the car.

I tend to agree with you...... Only place I've ever been where I would even consider it was the high desert between CA and Las Vegas. When I have run that road I just planted my foot to the floor, infact it was in a rented Caddy come to think of it. Must of hit the limiter because I couldn't get much over 110 out of it. At one point CHP went by me going the other way :blink: figured I was going to jail, but he just kept going.

Dennis

Dennis

Only place I've ever been where I would even consider it was the high desert between CA and Las Vegas. When I have run that road I just planted my foot to the floor, infact it was in a rented Caddy come to think of it. Must of hit the limiter because I couldn't get much over 110 out of it.

If it was rented, it was probably a base Deville, which had S-rated tires from the factory as the only available tire. Same with SLS and Eldorado. These cars have 112-mph speed limiters (or thereabouts) because that's all the tires are rated for.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Nice thought Matlock, but they've got you covered on this one too. Or haven't you heard about the cars that won't run if the wrong radio is installed or the correct one removed? This digital age sure is wonderful!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I think that the FBI actually listening to your phone calls is borderline invasion, but on the other points, like them tracking your speed and other things -- driving is a privledge -- not a right. Same deal with the red light cameras. Raleigh is getting some and a lot of people are mad because they feel it invades their privacy. They're on the public roads and when you're there, you're taking advantage of your privledge (not right) to drive your automobile.

You wouldn't be angry about them tracking your speed if you weren't breaking the law. I'm certainly not. I don't have anything to hide. If they wanna track my speed, fine! What's the difference between that and a radar gun? Either way, they're going to find me driving along, within 5 miles of the speed limit. I probably would care if I were driving 100 mph all the time, but in my opinion, when you deliberately choose to break the law like that, you lose any right you had to your "privacy".

Just my humble opinion...one of many... :)

Now that you people mention it, about the on star and speeding. I can recall where Freightliner had this technology before the cars and in one case someone was acting a fool and was sppeding and killed someone with a truck, they used the info from the on board computer in the truck and GPS to prove it in court and a hefty settlement was in order. This was a few yaers ago, it was so big that truckers and company's boycotted Freightliner for a while to get them to pull that system out. In that case the system came installed on all the trucks, and they used it against you to void your warranty also. i don't ever realll what happened with it all though as I left that end of the business. MC

95SLS, I'll tell you what happened. What happened was they quit talking about it. The system is still there, more sophiosticated and better than ever.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

J.B. Hunt has been using sat systems in all their trucks for years..................

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN IN A FOOD STORE AND HAD TO LISTEN TO SOMEONE`S CONVERSATION ON A CELL PHONE WHILE STANDING IN LINE TO PAY AND THEY WERE GOING ON AND ON ABOUT SOME WORTHLESS CRAP, TALKING WAY TOO LOUD AND DID YOU FIND YOURSELF WANTING TO BREAK THEIR CELL PHONE? THIS IS THE KIND OF CRAP THEY (FBI) WOULD HEAR IN MOST OF CARS WITH ONSTAR. PRETTY THREATING OF OUR FREEDOMS, HUH? WHO CARES? IF YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW OR PLANNING TO BREAK THE LAW , I HOPE THEY CATCH YOU. EVERYONE ELSE, PUT ON THE POZAC PATCH AND CHILL OUT. IF YOU GET BUSTED FOR DOING WELL OVER 100 MPH , THEY`RE JUST KEEPING YOU AROUND ALITTLE WHILE LONGER SO, YOU CAN DRIVE YOU MATE CRAZY A LITTLE WHILE LONGER. THATS GOTTA BE GOOD. BESIDES IT HAS TO BE HARDER FOR KNUCKLEHEADS TO STEAL OUR CADILLACS, `CAUSE THEY KNOW WHERE YOU ARE.

Oh God! If my life were only exciting enough that the FBI would want to eavesdrop on my OnStar conversations. If I thought they would, I would get On Star!

It's not the conversations that make me wonder, it's the FBI listening in on all the strange biological noises that drivers and passengers sometimes do in their cars that has me worried.....LOLOLOL!!!!!!! :(:blink::P

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Jason....as far as driving being a priviledge.....I resent having to have a drivers license to drive a car.  What next?  License to watch tv or use a computer?  Government control I tell you!  But, that is another debate in itself.

A driving license is more than merely a license to drive. It shows that you've at least had some form of driving education (whether it helped or not), and it shows that you're at least "registered" in this country and paying taxes like you and I do to help maintain the roads. I agree that having a license itself to drive probably isn't necessary, but there's really no other way to guarantee that the other objectives have been met. I don't want some nut out there who hasn't had an inkling of driving education, whocauses a wreck on every corner, and who doesn't pay taxes to support the police and rescue squads that he calls into action, driving on the very same roads that me and my family drive on! I think at this point in time, a driver's license serves as a good "check" to make sure that basic things have been done. It also serves as a method to (theoretically) pull people off the road who have a disregard for the safety of you and I as we drive.

BTW, seat belts -- I partially agree -- that it's a personal choice and should be up to the driver and his passengers. On the other hand, it costs you and I money when someone who could have escaped an accident simply by clicking it, but instead he's mangled an in a hospital bed, possibly without insurance. Insurance or not, it still costs the rest of us money. Accidents are certainly not avoidable, but I think that any measure to protect the safety, and the pockets, of the public at large aren't that unreasonable.

Why don't you like speed limits? I think they probably save more wrecks than they cause, by keeping cars traveling (in theory) at similar speeds. Without speed limits, the speed differences of cars on the same road would be enormous, and when you slow to turn right, some nut is approaching at 115 mph. It's my experience that you can't count on others to be responsible for their actions, and to be responsible behind the wheel. That's why there are so many drunk driving accidents, and accidents that you would think could have been avoided.

i recall having a conversation with a guy at work about onstar when it came out originally and he took the position that it would never catch on...i thought just the opposite: it's a convenience for people that don't like to fiddle with nav systems or push buttons and read maps. from what i have read, onstar is a huge money maker for gm.

fyi on the wire tapping: ALL phone calls are subject to listening by the fed. landlines provide no security what so ever. the only stab an individual could take at securing their privacy over the telco network would be a voice encryption device and even that would be easily defeated by the feds if they are so inclined.

jackg 90 seville 93k

I see many people mentioning the fact that no phone is secure, and that is true, but the reality is that with OnStar you are NOT on the phone and you have no idea that they are listening. I mean, I am from Youngstown, Ohio, MOB capital of the US now what if these guys are discussing a hit in the car eh? LOL That is the point I am trying to make, you have no idea that they are listening! AND besides that, it's easy as all get out for them to tap into this sytem, much easier than a phone. Plus the quality of what they can hear is astounding! They can hear a sealtbelt click and even the fan running in the back seat.

You probably realize that in "Internet etiquette", using CAPS LOCK implies you yelling or shouting...as if to add emphasis to your post. Just don't get offended if many ask you about it.

Adrian

Where does it stop? The government will only continue to invade our lives in more and more ways unless we do something to stop it.

You hit the nail on the head. More and more the government encroaches on our civil liberties and it’s being taken away one-piece at a time. If it’s not this issue … it’s another. :angry:

As far as un-posted speed limits … I liked that when I drove across Montana. Hell it’s a long way across tat state with a lot of wide-open highways. I think some of the folks here on this site that hasn’t experienced that may find it a little perplexing. I drove across Texas once (I-10), wish they would had unlimited speed limit at the time.

Jim White

I agree that there are going to be places where unposted or higher speed limits are prudent...in many places out west. But you still have to be careful, because trucks are many times still limited. So you may approach a truck with a 50 mph speed difference. The folks on this board are aware enough to handle it, but there are others who aren't, and who WILL cause wrecks. What do you do?

But get rid of speed limits and driver's licenses throughout just to get rid of that government conspiracy??!! :rolleyes: I've got a few third world countries in mind that you should visit...countries that are totally out of control...where people walk around with machine guns and RPGs on their shoulders and who have Presidential assassinations weekly. You want no governmental control...there ya go!

I gladly exchange SOME "governmental control" (like drivers licenses and speed limits) for the wonderful standard of living that we enjoy in this country.

If I had OnStar, I would disable it along with the black box (assuming it would still pass inspection). I think the real issue is the fact that the government is invading the innocent citizens privacy. The fact that many of you are not concerned with what they are gathering from your conversation is irrelevant, you have a civil right to privacy. Americans lose more of their civil liberties every day, until people take a stance against issues such as these we will continue to be dictated more and more by the government. If you don't care about your privacy why don't you hook your car, place of business, and home up to the Internet? Don't make me start on seat belts and auto inspections...

Thought I would jump in on this one.

Cad1

92 Deville w/210k miles

You that have the attitutude that... "I have nothing to hide, so let the government do what they want"... have a lot to learn about how things really work. They wish everyone had such a sheepish attitude. Give up a freedom and you will never get it back; check the record; check recorded history. Thinking like this doesn't make one paranoid, just realistic.

jadcock Posted on Feb 12 2004, 04:57 AM

I agree that there are going to be places where un-posted or higher speed limits are prudent...in many places out west. But you still have to be careful, because trucks are many times still limited. So you may approach a truck with a 50 mph speed difference. The folks on this board are aware enough to handle it, but there are others who aren't, and who WILL cause wrecks. What do you do?

I have no problems with speed limits. I believe in Montana the speed limit during the daytime was NOT unlimited but "Safe and Prudent." When I drove through there I would drive around the 75 MPH range depending on conditions. That being said, there is a BIG difference in driving between Winston Salem NC and Raleigh NC on I-40 than there is driving from Livingston MT to Missoula MT on I-90. That is why I didn't care for the FEDERAL mandated speed limit of 55 MPH. Ever drove from Beaumont TX to El Paso TX on I-10 doing 55 MPH? I have.

But get rid of speed limits and driver's licenses throughout just to get rid of that government conspiracy??!!

I'm afraid I don't get your point WRT to this. I have no problems with drivers licenses at all. But don't charge me $40.00 for it when it really cost ... say $15.00 to cover the expenses of administrating the program.

I've got a few third world countries in mind that you should visit...countries that are totally out of control...where people walk around with machine guns and RPGs on their shoulders and who have Presidential assassinations weekly.

I've been to a few. Oh and by the way some of the safest countries I’ve been in the people were armed but that is neither here or there …

You want no governmental control...there ya go! ... I gladly exchange SOME "governmental control" (like drivers licenses and speed limits) for the wonderful standard of living that we enjoy in this country.

I believe this topic started out regarding the government eavesdropping in on our conversations via the ONSTAR system. Do I have a concern with this practice? Yep. Do I have anything to hide ... Nope. These people who do this probably have total immunity and have to answer to no one. To me they're nothing more than "Peeping Toms." One should ask themselves; "do I care if ANYBODY pries into my personal affairs?" Do you want a “Peeping Tom” coming you’re your property snooping in on you? One should always remember this ... if the government can throw some citizen as an alleged terrorist in jail, cut off attorney access and essentially throw away the key ... you better believe some power (probably immune from prosecution I might add) hungry District Attorney down the road can do it to you and me. No Sir … I would rather not go down that road.

I’ll part with this quote because this is the mentality of the people doing this sort of thing.

...When we got organized as a country and we wrote a fairly radical Constitution with a radical Bill of Rights, giving a radical amount of individual freedom to Americans, it was assumed that the Americans who had that freedom would use it responsibly....[However, now] there's a lot of irresponsibility. And so a lot of people say there's too much freedom. When personal freedom's being abused, you have to move to limit it.

--Bill Clinton, as stated on MTV's Enough is Enough, March 22, 1994

It's something to think about which leads me back to Adrian’s question ... where does it end?

Jim White

Correct me if I am wrong ... maybe Onstar has this regardless BUT REGARDING CELL PHONES ...

I think that only recently SOME cell phones have the capability of locating you. This December I acquired a cell phone for my 19 yr old daughter and some of the newer phones were gps enable and some were not. This is new. If you have an older cell phone then probably it does not have the ability to locate you. This is new stuff. If you recently got a phone, they probably made a point of the gps capability as a selling point.

I got the gps enable one for my daughter, 'cause if she ever had to dial 911 they could find her. ...

Archived