CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Change oil when

normanhoyt

You can trust the computer to indicate when an oil change is coming due.

You don't want to get me, and several others, started on the Jiffy Lube type places.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The oil change monkies will always recommend that you change your oil sooner than the oil life monitor recommends. It's like asking a barber if you need a haircut.... :lol:

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

normanhoyt,

If you search the archives, you will find much discussion on this topic. Bottom line, the Guru says if you wait 'til it tells you to change it, and then change it at your earliest convenience, you'll be fine.

Now, about what type of oil to use....Don't get me started...same advice... read up on this in the archives...and them make your best determination on what you think is best for you....I use Mobil 1...cause I like to waste the extra money... :lol:

Now, about that filter....use the ac/delco filter designed for this motor because it was validated for this engine and can't do you wrong....the archives will show some downsides to using fram filters, as an example...cardboard endcap...

good luck...

ps..Guru actually mentions at one point that it may be not in your best interest to change it too often, because the dirty oil plays a part in proper engine wear(?) ring seating I think...help me out here guys....

Do as your on-board computer tells you to do, after all it has a very EX Vice Presidential I invented Math, AlGoreithem that watches how you drive and all the conditions the engine is going through during the oil life cycle. Just trust it, the thing is pretty smart.

Jeff

From the Guru himself in his own words.

How Often Should I Change My Oil? The GM Oil Life System:

Q: How does the GM Oil Life System (OLS) work?

A: Vehicle maintenance intervals of three months or 3,000 miles no longer apply to vehicles equipped with this system.Instead of an actual oil-condition sensor, the GM Oil Life System relies on a computer-based software algorithm that continuously monitors engine-operating conditions and driver use to determine when an oil change is necessary.GM has calibrated the system for a variety of vehicles based on millions of test miles over a period of years.The system is now installed on more than 20 million GM vehicles.

Q: How do I operate the system?

A: The GM Oil Life System is very easy to use.Refer to your Owner’s Manual for a description of your specific vehicle’s change oil light or message and instructions for resetting the system.When the algorithm determines that your vehicle needs maintenance,the change oil light or message will illuminate on the instrument panel or the driver information center at start-up.You should have your vehicle’s oil changed within 600 miles of the odometer reading at the time the change oil light or message first illuminates. Immediately after the oil change, reset the system according to instructions in your Owner’s Manual. After the reset,the change oil light or message will no longer illuminate at engine start-up until the oil needs to be changed again.

Q: How many miles can I expect to go between oil changes when using this system?

A: It will vary.The beauty of the GM Oil Life System is that it automatically adjusts the oil-change interval based upon engine characteristics, your driving habits, and the climate in which you have been operating your vehicle. For instance, mild highway driving in a warm climate will maximize the interval between required oil changes. Depending on the vehicle,this could be as high as 12,000 miles.On the other hand, short-trip driving in a cold climate may limit the interval between oil changes to 3,000 miles or less. In general, most people who combine city and highway driving find that the GM Oil Life System will indicate the vehicle needs an oil change every 5,000 to 6,000 miles.Most people maintain consistent driving habits.This means their mileage between required oil changes will be consistent.

Q: What happens if I change the oil and forget to reset the system?

A: Since the GM Oil Life System does not actually sense oil condition, it is important that the engine computer knows when your vehicle has had an oil change.It registers this information through the reset operation described inyour Owner’s Manual.The change oil light or message will illuminate at start-up until the system is reset.The more miles you drive without resetting the system,the more inaccurate the GM Oil Life System will be.If you drive more than 500 miles after an oil change without resetting the GM Oil Life System,you should default your oil-change interval back to 3,000 miles.After you change the oil and reset the system, you may resume normal use of the system.

Q: I change my oil every 3,000 miles.How does this system help me?

A: You may continue to change your oil every 3,000 miles if you choose, but the GM Oil Life System allows you to extend your mileage between changes without harming your engine. It takes the guesswork out of your vehicle maintenance needs,calculates when you need maintenance, and it provides efficiency and convenience.It also is an economically sound practice that protects the environment by minimizing the amount of oil used and discarded. Remember, however, to reset the system after the oil change or you will get a false reading from your change oil light or message.

Q: Do I have to use special oil?

A: The GM Oil Life System calibrates your needs based on the use of standard factory-fill automotive engine oil that displays the “Starburst”API® Certification Mark. This verifies that the American Petroleum Institute certifies it for use in gasoline engines.Make sure to read your Owner’s Manual to select oil with the viscosity and grade that is correct for your engine. Any oil you use should carry the API “Starburst”mark. The Corvette and a few other GM vehicles (2004 CTS/STS/SRX) are the only ones that require synthetic oil.

Q: The oil-change service station recommends that I change the oil every 3,000 miles. Why should I not believe them?

A: The 3,000-mile oil change is a very conservative approach to maintaining your vehicle that dates back to 1968. Since then, there has been many advances in both engine design and oil technology. These advancements, in conjunction with the GM Oil Life System, allow you to increase engine oil-change intervals without risking harm to the engine.

Q: I change my own oil. Should I reset the system myself?A: You may reset the system according to the instructions in your Owner’s Manual, or you may ask your selling dealer for assistance.

Q: Will I damage the vehicle if I don't change the oil soon after the change oil light or message comes on?

A: As your Owner’s Manual specifies, you should change the oil as soon as possible after you see this indicator.We recommend that you change it no more than 600 miles after the message first appears.

Q: Do I have to check my oil level now that my vehicle is equipped with the GM Oil Life System?

A: Yes, because the system does not sense oil level.As your Owner’s Manual specifies, we recommend that you check your oil every time you stop for gasoline.

Q: Will I void my warranty if I don't follow the GM Oil Life System regimen?

A: To maintain your warranty, you must comply with your Owner’s Manual recommendations. We suggest you read it.

Q: I had my vehicle’s oil changed recently but my GM Oil Life System indicator is still on.Why?

A: If the light is still on,the system may not have been reset when you changed your oil.You may reset it within 500 miles of your last oil change. If your vehicle has exceeded this mileage, change the oil at 3,000 miles and then reset the system.

Q: I still prefer to have my oil changed at about 3,500 miles.What should I do?

A: It is OK to change your oil before your vehicle notifies you that you are due for an oil change. Be sure, however, to reset the system when you change the oil, even if the GM Oil Life System light/message has not illuminated.

Q: I have driven 6,000 miles since my last oil change.My change oil light/message has not come on, but my oil seems dirty. Do I have a problem?

A: Your vehicle’s oil may discolor under normal conditions, depending on driving conditions. Refer to your Owner’s Manual for additional information.

Q:Can any dealer other than my selling dealer perform Simplified Maintenance?

A: We recommend that you care for your vehicle through your selling dealer so you can build a relationship with the team that sold you your vehicle. However, any GM Goodwrench dealer can perform Simplified Maintenance and reset the GM Oil Life System for you.

Q: During the summer,I drive my vehicle in a very hot climate. Do I need to change the oil more often?

A: The GM Oil Life System calculates your vehicle’s needs based on a wide range of driving conditions, including more stressful situations such as severe climates, trailer towing, or stop-and-go operation.There is no need for you to override the recommendation of the GM Oil Life System.

Q: I continue to get 3,000-mile follow-up mailers from my GM dealer. What should I do?

A: Inform your servicing dealer that you prefer to follow the Simplified Maintenance schedule determined by the GM Oil Life System and would like them to adjust the type of follow-up mailings they send you.

Q: I have a 2002 model GM vehicle with the GM Oil Life System.Can I use the Simplified Maintenance schedule with it?

A: Because Simplified Maintenance was not yet introduced before the 2004 Model Year, continue to use the recommendations in your Owner’s Manual for that vehicle.

I could never really trust any "oil exchange" place to change my oil... Is it synthetic? Did they tighten the filter? Did they loosen a bolt under my car, like spitting on my onion rings?

That causes a question...

Does anyone have any Commericial Oil Change Horror stories?

I could never really trust any "oil exchange" place to change my oil... Is it synthetic? Did they tighten the filter? Did they loosen a bolt under my car, like spitting on my onion rings?

That causes a question...

Does anyone have any Commericial Oil Change Horror stories?

Well, here's one for starters. A little background first. A person I know moved his business from a nearby town to my hometown. He ran a Valvoline Instant Oil Change franchise in the old town and opened a Chevron station with oil change capability here. I talked with him, and discussed some business since my facility supplies his gasoline. I wanted to let him know that if he had any complaints about fuel quality, or needed some testing done, or had customer quality questions, that I was the guy to see. He appreciated the concern and let me know that he would also take care of my company vehicles oil changes with his personal touch. Cool deal, mutual respect I figured. Anyway, I had recently been convinced of the high quality of Chevron oil products by reading a lot of discussions on another board, so all was right with the world. He did go out of his way to personally secure the proper grade of Chevron oil for my changes. This may sound strange, but, believe it or not, he was still selling Valvoline at his Chevron station.

This should have given me a clue right away. Well he changed oil for me several times, happily chasing down quarts of 10W-30 and 5W-30 Chevron Supreme for me and stashing them away till my next visit. This last visit turned into a nightmare! I took my 2004 Silverado 5.3 in to him for a change of 5-30 Chevron. Well when he went to look for my "stash" of oil, it was gone. The oil change guy had to admit he "sold" it the day before. He called around to find some more but there was none to be had. I gave him the OK to use Havoline 5-30 (now owned by ChevronTexaco). I had to convince the oil change dude to give me the windshield sticker on which I had written the miles at which the oil was changed, explaining to him that I go by the GM OLI. He sadly threw away the sticker which showed that the change was due in 3000 miles. So anyway, to make a long story longer, I got up the next morning to find a puddle of oil under the car. YEP, didn't tighten the filter. So started checking grease fittings, YEP, the upper ball joints had not been touched since new! It seems that these places NEVER get these, because they can't reach them when they are in the "pit". Now I realize that a car with 6500 miles on it should not need grease, but I think this car could have gone 650,000 miles and they would have never touched the upper ball joints.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Now that were on oil changes again....... I just want to mention a personal experance with this. When the caddy was under warrentee, the dealer would NOT change the oil unless the DIC was 10% or less. Now that my car is no longer under warrentee, they recomend an oil change every 5000km or 3000 miles. The DIC indicates 60% or more oil life left. I will let you decide who's interest the dealer has in mind. For the record...I change mine at around 20 to 30% life left or at around 10,000km or 6000 miles.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Here's a copy of a letter I wrote to Valvoline corporate:

"Hello,

I was just at your oil change facility and I wanted to report I am very unhappy with the service I just received. For one, they didn't get my oil filter tight so when I got home, I had oil all over my undercarriage. It also leaked on my driveway. I went under the engine and the oil filter was grossly loose so I tightened the filter by hand and cleaned off what oil I could with rags. Also when they lubed my front end, there was so much excess lube, it was hanging down ready to fall off...some even got on the inside of my tires. I was just glopped on there...ridiclously too much. He could of atleast wiped the excess off. After they were done, I asked how the transmission fluid level was, he replied he didn't know, he then looked around for it and said he couldn't reach my auto transmission dipstick, and that it was too hot, so that wasn't checked (I thought to myself, put a pair of gloves on then!). I then asked about my air filter and he replied he was supposed to check that but didn't...replied he was having a bad day. He then checked that and it was ok. I called the store up after discoving this mess and spoke with the gentleman who helped me and he appologized for the other employee and that he was new and that he already made a complaint against him and asked if I could come in and fill out a complaint form so he could be fired...very unprofessional I thought. I replied I didn't have time to come back in and I would write a letter to corporate instead. To be honest with you, I feel both the employess were negligent in their duties today given the employee down below didn't tighten the oil filter correctly and obviously didn't check for leaks, plus he overlubed my front end. And the employee up top didn't check my trans. level and didn't check my air filter till asked.

I had my cadillac serviced there last week by another employee who was the manager at the time and they didn't tighten my oil filter on that vehicle either. I was told today that he put in his 2 weeks notice and was let go. Luckily I noticed the oil filter was loose as I was doing some work on the engine that day anyways. Needless to say, I am very unhappy with the service I have received at this facility in my last two visits. I'm hoping some changes will be made so no one else will have to go through what I did today. The guy down below should most definately be fired due to his gross incompetence. I'm looking forward to your reply and I'm hoping you can help reinstall my confidence in your company."

They replied with the offer of two free oil changes at their other facility (a facility that the regional mgr. highly recommended) for my inconvenience. They didn't lube my caddy either. They lubed my toyota, because I asked them to please do so, but then overlubed it! Unless I'm overly impressed w/ their other facility, I think I'll be doing my own oil changes after these freebies are up...as they can't be trusted!

My Cadillac has been to one of these joints only once in its tenure with me, and it was to a Jiffy Lube for North Carolina state inspection. I removed all the center caps, in case they needed to remove the wheels. Luckily, they didn't, so I got off okay. Satisifed, I took my Nissan truck there the next day for inspection. They initially failed me because the horn didn't work. I asked did they find the button under the column (coil wire in column is bad). They said no, and they'd reinspect it. He found the horn and it inspected just fine. Then they left the lights on in the parking lot after finishing the inspection. Kids...

No way would a Jiffy Lube or Quick Lube ever touch one of my cars, except for a possible state inspection here or there...

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Do as the on-board computer says.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I follow my computer ;) -usually change it around 15% or so.

I also do all my own oil changes....i don't want some of the shop-monkeys out there messing with my caddy :lol:

plus i just enjoy changing my own oil.

just my 2 cents :P

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Hmmm I read so many of these oil change horror stories and I think to myself: "Why do people take their treasured vehicles to these places instead of their usual garage?" Sure it may cost $5 bucks more but will you miss that $5 over 3 months? Hardly! But the assurance that extra 5 bucks may cost you.... isn't it worth it??? Here's an example of the absurdity as i see it: People are so willing to spend extra cash for a tough sounding exhaust and anal about it, which is not important to the proper function of a caddy and then turn around and be so casual about where and who changes their oil. Someone please explain that logic to me.

I have my oil changed at the same garage that works on the rest of the car. Seems like a good idea to me. The garage has incentive to make sure I receive a quality LOF service because I give them all around business and they know me. And if I can't get my caddy in THIS week for a LOF then who cares. I know my caddy's engine isn't going to melt down just because I didn't get the oil changed exactly when the DIC told me to. And...... I even had the balls to drive it another 1000 miles a time or three.... oh nooo.... I know I know shame on me, what was i thinking.

My thought on the service at quick change places......... where's the incentive?

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Hmmm I read so many of these oil change horror stories and I think to myself: "Why do people take their treasured vehicles to these places instead of their usual garage?" Sure it may cost $5 bucks more but will you miss that $5 over 3 months? Hardly! But the assurance that extra 5 bucks may cost you.... isn't it worth it??? Here's an example of the absurdity as i see it: People are so willing to spend extra cash for a tough sounding exhaust and anal about it, which is not important to the proper function of a caddy and then turn around and be so casual about where and who changes their oil. Someone please explain that logic to me.

I have my oil changed at the same garage that works on the rest of the car. Seems like a good idea to me. The garage has incentive to make sure I receive a quality LOF service because I give them all around business and they know me. And if I can't get my caddy in THIS week for a LOF then who cares. I know my caddy's engine isn't going to melt down just because I didn't get the oil changed exactly when the DIC told me to. And...... I even had the balls to drive it another 1000 miles a time or three.... oh nooo.... I know I know shame on me, what was i thinking.

My thought on the service at quick change places......... where's the incentive?

-kg

Amen!

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

People are so willing to spend extra cash for a tough sounding exhaust and anal about it, which is not important to the proper function of a caddy and then turn around and be so casual about where and who changes their oil. Someone please explain that logic to me.

Great point, and I don't understand it either. Even if you don't want to crawl on your back yourself, take it to the same caliber of shop for the oil change that you would for your performance exhaust or any other work on your car. Chances are, all would be well at a quick lube, but there's just no point taking the risk, in my opinion.

Preferrably, do it yourself, save some dough, spend some quality time with your car, and even with the wife (or husband). My wife plays in the yard (weeds, mulches, etc) while I play under the cars. Good quality time outside the house on a summer afternoon.

Actually, for me, it's partly the challenge. First of all, note that I didn't take my Caddy to the quick change place, OH NO, NOBODY touches that but me. I took my company truck there to see if they could master ONE SIMPLE TASK. Maybe it's the crusader in me, trying to help others by getting one oil change place in line.

In the end, who's to say your regular garage, or a dealership, might forget to tighten an oil filter. Hasn't happened to me yet, but who knows? Let's face it, they all get their workers from the same place.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

In the end, who's to say your regular garage, or a dealership, might forget to tighten an oil filter. Hasn't happened to me yet, but who knows? Let's face it, they all get their workers from the same place.

It's no doubt you're playing the odds when you take it somewhere. Will the guy care? Is he having a bad day? Did he just break up with his girlfriend, and looking for a quick sabotage? I think the chances of a quality job are higher at a higher quality place (like a dealer, or a local garage that knows you), but you're right...you can get a downer anywhere. That's why oil changes occur in Jason's Garage rather than Jiffy Lube. :lol:

I had a 1994 Chevy C-10 with a 5.7 (350 to us old guys). I was working 6 tens and decided that the local quick oil change emporium could at least manage to change the oil & filter, lubricate the front end and change the trans filter & fluid. WRONG!! :(

I took a seat in the lobby where I could see under my truck. The first thing that I noticed was that the guy put the plug back in while there was a full stream of oil comming out!! :angry: I got the manager & told him that I wanted the plug taken back out and let the darn oil drain until he was finished withe everything else. When he took the plug back out, it appeared that another two quarts came out. :o Then they finished the trans, changed the oil filter lubed the front end put the plug in and filled it with (they said) <_< 10-30 Pennzoil. I then paid the bill , got in the truck & when I got out on the highway, I found that the truck would barely accelerate, like it was in third gear all the time. :blink: I did a 180 and took her back. I told them that the trans was fine when I brought it in, but nowwww. :angry: They took the pan off with me in the pit this time. The cross member was close to the pan. He should have loosened the trans mount and jacked the trans up an inch. I pointed this out. When he took the pan off I could see a broken shift solenoid wire hanging there. Ruined the solenoid to boot. Obviously caused by worring the pan off without jacking the trans up. <_< No solenoid avalible either. I had to wait till the next day to get a solenoid shipped in. :angry::angry: The up shot was that they didn't even need to hurry, as there was no-one waiting behind me. (Now I think that I know why. :P )

Needless to say, after that episode, I do all of my own oil and transmission service myself. That way if it gets screwed up I will know who to blame. :P

Britt

Archived