CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Nice Compliments On my DTS

Texas Jim

While on vacation last week...we were on a two lane mountain road (Hwy 72/7), between Ward and Estes Park.

I was following a car that was just really poking along.

I wasn't in a BIG hurry, but I did want to go a little faster than it was going. :D:D

Before I got a chance to pass it, a couple of motorcycles caught up with us. One was a big BMW touring bike, and the other was a Harley.

After following us for a couple of miles, the BMW passed me and got between me and the other car.

We went along ANOTHER couple of miles, while he waited for the Harley to pass me and catch up to him.

The Harley rider didn't seem to be in any hurry to pass me. I was watching in my mirrors and he wasn't hugging the center line like he wanted to pass me.

After a bit, there was a little clear space so I figured it was time for a WOT pass.

I floored it and it dropped all the way back to 1st gear, and as I cleared the BMW motorcycle, and was just about up to the door of the car, it was at 6800 RPM and it shifted to 2nd and CHIRPED the front tires. :D

Didn't think too much about it, but a couple of hours later, while we were in Rocky Mountain National Park, at a scenic pulloff, the two motorcycle riders pulled in also.

The BMW guy came over and asked me if I had just came up the old highway.

When I said "yes" he started talking about how well the DTS ran when I passed him and the car. :D

He was pretty impressed and said he had NO IDEA that a big Cadillac would RUN that well.

He said what really surprised him was the SOUND and the quick acceleration when I started around him.

He said a big Caddy wasn't supposed to accelerate and "SCREAM" like that and spin the tires when it changed gears. :D

His daily driver is (I think) a BMW 338.

Anyway, I thought it was real nice of him to compliment the Cadillac.

Made me feel pretty food that someone else liked the way it runs and sounds. :D

Posted Image

Most people tend to think of the Cadillac as "grandpa cars" and really dont know that they are a great all around vehicle! I can honestly say thats what I thought of them until I got mine.

I am a young man (34), and probably not the typical Cadillac owner. But I love the car, it's very comforatable, and it will get-up-and-go when I ask it to!!

You may have made a believer out of him. Who knows, he may be thinking of trading that BMW in on a new Caddy!!

2001 Deville, Sterling Silver exterior with Dark Gray leather, 93k miles

The DTS is a fine automobile. I almost switched from looking for an STS to looking for a DTS. I decided on an STS because I wanted a more sporty look with, of course, the V8 Northstar. But if you're married and want to make sure the wife and kids are cruising in comfort then it's would be a bit more practical than the STS. Though the STS is also something that you could drive the wife and kids around in. I see a lot of DTSs on the road. Probably more DTS than STS. I think the trend is:

1. CTS

2. DTS

3. Escalade

4. STS

I put Escalade before STS because I see more of them on the road than the STS.

Most people tend to think of the Cadillac as "grandpa cars" and really dont know that they are a great all around vehicle! I can honestly say thats what I thought of them until I got mine.

I am a young man (34), and probably not the typical Cadillac owner. But I love the car, it's very comforatable, and it will get-up-and-go when I ask it to!!

You may have made a believer out of him. Who knows, he may be thinking of trading that BMW in on a new Caddy!!

Thanks for the comment.

I probably fit the stereotype of the DTS driver. :D

I will be 65 in a few months, but I haven't entirely forgot how to drive. :D:D

In the "OLD DAYS", I used to race drag cars, and later on ran some circle track for a while.

Those hobbies finally got too expensive and I got out of racing.

But I "DO" still enjoy driving a good car. :D

Posted Image

The other day I was with my wife, and I saw your car Jim, and I said, my friend in Texas, Jim has that car. She said, NICE CAR!, I agree

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The other day I was with my wife, and I saw your car Jim, and I said, my friend in Texas, Jim has that car. She said, NICE CAR!, I agree

Thank you and tell her I said thank you.

It is appreciated.

Posted Image

The DTS is a fine automobile. I almost switched from looking for an STS to looking for a DTS. I decided on an STS because I wanted a more sporty look with, of course, the V8 Northstar. But if you're married and want to make sure the wife and kids are cruising in comfort then it's would be a bit more practical than the STS. Though the STS is also something that you could drive the wife and kids around in. I see a lot of DTSs on the road. Probably more DTS than STS. I think the trend is:

1. CTS

2. DTS

3. Escalade

4. STS

I put Escalade before STS because I see more of them on the road than the STS.

I am married..but do not have any kids at home.

I just like a nice "BIG" car to travel in.

We take off three or four weeks a year...and "JUST DRIVE"... all over the country.

I agree with your lineup of the cars.

I see then in that order here also.

I do see a lot of DTS's...but very, very few, Performance Sedans.

A lot of people don't know what they are missing. :D:D

Posted Image

I am amazed at the number of people who still believe Cadillacs ger 10 MPG or think they are still underpowered (4100 engine)... Most have never ridden in a Cadillac, much less owned one....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I am amazed at the number of people who still believe Cadillacs ger 10 MPG or think they are still underpowered (4100 engine)... Most have never ridden in a Cadillac, much less owned one....

You are 100% correct...on all counts.

I have had people ask me..."How can you afford to drive it on long trips?"

"Doesn't it get terrible mileage?"

When I tell them what kind of mileage it gets...they don't believe me.

When I show them the AVERAGE MPG readout on the dash...they "STILL" don't believe it.

I made a trip back from S. Carolina a couple of months ago driving along with my Brother in Law, who drives a midsize Hyundai.

When we would stop and fillup, my DTS would hold from .3 to .9 gallons MORE than his little Hyundai.

I had told him before...that I got almost as good of mileage as he did...but he never really believed me.

Till we drove the same roads and filled up at the same stations. :D:D:D:D

Posted Image

You are 100% correct...on all counts.

I have had people ask me..."How can you afford to drive it on long trips?"

"Doesn't it get terrible mileage?"

When I tell them what kind of mileage it gets...they don't believe me.

When I show them the AVERAGE MPG readout on the dash...they "STILL" don't believe it.

I made a trip back from S. Carolina a couple of months ago driving along with my Brother in Law, who drives a midsize Hyundai.

When we would stop and fillup, my DTS would hold from .3 to .9 gallons MORE than his little Hyundai.

I had told him before...that I got almost as good of mileage as he did...but he never really believed me.

Till we drove the same roads and filled up at the same stations. :D:D:D:D

This applies to me too... If I had a dime for every time someone made a snide comment about how much gas it takes, the dumb stares when I tell people the TRUE cost to drive (as if they think I'm a bigger moron than they already thought I was because ANYONE can see that I must be wrong) or about the great handling and comfort (American cars are too soft in the suspension, the seats are nice but not as good as in a Volvo etc. etc.). It is extremely rare for me to get a compliment for my car, most of the time I have to defend my choice.

"Why do you drive that POS when you could be driving a Volvo, Audi, VW, SAAB etc"

In my profession as a consultant in mechanical engineering I've been forced to drive just about anything there is from the VW group. I can honestly say that the worst car I ever experienced is a SEAT.

SEAT, Skoda, VW golf...do I need to continue? Just plastics, miserable seats, extremely noisy. Audi A4 and A6 is better but far from impressive..

It took me a couple of weeks to get rid of my pain in the back after driving those "gems" for a couple of months...

Sweden is a very anti-american country and most of the people here haven’t even seen a modern american car but they know it all.

“That’s not a Cadillac” (because it isn’t pink and hasn’t got fins)

“I like to ride in american cars but I would NEVER buy one because of 1) lousy quality 2) low MPG 3) expensive to own and upkeep 4) poor handling 5) too big for our roads 6) no fun to drive etc. etc.

I still can’t think of any other brand that could please me half as much as a Cadillac..next year it’s time for a newer STS :P

This applies to me too... If I had a dime for every time someone made a snide comment about how much gas it takes, the dumb stares when I tell people the TRUE cost to drive (as if they think I'm a bigger moron than they already thought I was because ANYONE can see that I must be wrong) or about the great handling and comfort (American cars are too soft in the suspension, the seats are nice but not as good as in a Volvo etc. etc.). It is extremely rare for me to get a compliment for my car, most of the time I have to defend my choice.

"Why do you drive that POS when you could be driving a Volvo, Audi, VW, SAAB etc"

In my profession as a consultant in mechanical engineering I've been forced to drive just about anything there is from the VW group. I can honestly say that the worst car I ever experienced is a SEAT.

SEAT, Skoda, VW golf...do I need to continue? Just plastics, miserable seats, extremely noisy. Audi A4 and A6 is better but far from impressive..

It took me a couple of weeks to get rid of my pain in the back after driving those "gems" for a couple of months...

Sweden is a very anti-american country and most of the people here haven’t even seen a modern american car but they know it all.

“That’s not a Cadillac” (because it isn’t pink and hasn’t got fins)

“I like to ride in american cars but I would NEVER buy one because of 1) lousy quality 2) low MPG 3) expensive to own and upkeep 4) poor handling 5) too big for our roads 6) no fun to drive etc. etc.

I still can’t think of any other brand that could please me half as much as a Cadillac..next year it’s time for a newer STS :P

One of the most uncomfortable cars I have ever ridden in was a Saab... Granted, it was about 14 years ago but the Saab was about a year old at the time. We went to a co-worker's wedding that was about 2-1/2 hours away. His wife got very sick and couldn't attend so it was my buddy, me and my wife. I wanted to take my Fleetwood Brougham but my bud wanted to drive so I let him. I felt every crack and bump in the road. The seats were like sitting on a rock. After we got back, my wife (who usually wouldn't say "$hit" even if she had a mouthful..) asked me, "What kind of car was that piece of $hit?" I couldn't stop laughing...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Texas Jim, How do you differentiate the Performance sedans from the stndard. Is the only exterior difference the wheels? I have a difficult time figuring this out.

I too have a hard time figuring it out when I see a DTS going down the road.

The wheels are about the only way to tell, that I know of.

Performance Sedans have (generally) 9 spoke, 18 inch chrome wheels with wider low profile tires.

I kinda wish they were a little more distinctive from the regular DTS, but that would take away some of the fun, when you see someones face as you pass them. :D

Especially ricers with fart can mufflers, that were laughing at Grandpa in the "big 'ol Cadillac" at the stop light. :D:D:D

As you can see from my sig picture, my particular car also sits a little lower than a normal one, even other Performance Sedans.

My service manager spent three hours with a Tech ll and two BIG mechanics lowering it to make it handle better.

Posted Image

Archived