CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Different car

Logan

Finally got around to installing the upper 2001 Eldorado dogbones. Car is a 2001 Deville.

Car behaves completly different. Very worthy upgrade.

Drivers side engine mount bracket came from Vintage Parts via the Cadillac dealer. I think there are 10 left nationwide.

Passenger side bracket cut ear off bracket for Eldorado alternator.

These are 2001 Eldorado parts. 2001 Deville and Seville do not use the dogbones / brackets.

post-2-1246375676_thumb.jpg

are you going to add a strut tower brace next? i see some folks even put the STB on the rear towers as well. i think performace tires would make even more of a difference. i drove my sons GTP with 50 series Z rated tires and that thing sticks like glue on a cloverleaf. not a peep from the tires. i would like to put those tires on my STS as a test.

It's sort of bizarre..

1998 STS lost the dogbones....then 2000 Deville lost the dogbones.

Eldo used them all the way up to 2003.

Anyway, mine has the 2000 and newer block. Mine is 2001.

So I chased 2001 Eldo parts.

Passenger side cylinder head bracket. Turns out Deville and Eldo use different alternators. Go figure. I ended up cutting the alternator 'ear' off the passenger side engine bracket.

Drivers side bracket. Deville has a differnet engine lift bracket here. You have to remove that bracket and massage/bend the fuel lines for the ELdo bracket to fit. Very rare bracket..maybe 10 left nationwide.

My passenger side cylinder head bracket: ebay. Drivers side engine bracket: Dealer via vintage parts. $35. The two dog bones are from Auto Zone China: Anchor parts. $20 and $25.

Maybe earlier (1998) versions use the same 'pickup points' and brackets for the engine block bolt holes. I would not count on that.

Seems to eliminate the 'engine flop' feel of these cars engine at low speeds. Also high speed braking is much better now. No more...engine braking flopping. Engine feels completly different at 60-70.

post-2-1246426202_thumb.jpg

post-2-1246426540_thumb.png

I should add. Passenger side cylinder head bracket and AC system. Yeah it's tight. It'll rub some on the plastic AC housing. But it will fit. No problem.

If I could find a junkyard 2001 Eldo. Grab the stainless fuel rail too. I had to rebend my Deville one to fit behind the Eldo drivers side bracket.

One of the bolts that holds the drivers side bracket is the 'bolt with a coolant hole' bolt. So you will loose some coolant.

The forward radiator support brackets are heavy duty barn garage door brackets. See Tractor Supply.

• 4 weeks later...

Gotta wonder what possessed Cadillac to do the downgrade.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Gotta wonder what possessed Cadillac to do the downgrade.

Regards,

Warren

Bean Counters.

And "MOST" people woudn't notice.

They use a car as just another appliance.

They don't care whats in it...

As long as it goes from point "A" to point "B", they are happy.

And they never ever,ever, really "DRIVE" it. They just putt putt around.

Posted Image

Yes, it's probably the bean counters, but the ride quality was diminished as a result of them cutting a couple of dollars at the time of manufacture.

Just yesterday I watched Ultimate Factories on the National Geographic Channel in HD. Here is the description from FIOS:

Three BMW factories team up to produce the sporty Z4 convertible using a combination of robotic machinery and skilled human workers, the engines are built in two factories in Germany and shipped to South Carolina to be installed.

For the record, I saw systems that permitted ease of construction, but not many short cuts. I saw a similar video regarding the CTS factory.

I have said for years that the bean counters needed to be removed from the process or their recommendations needed to be carefully reviewed for their impact on the final product quality

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived