CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2004 SLS - Can I Replace/ Eliminate Dex Cool

amber

I have an appointment today to get my Dex Cool changed on a Caddy I recently purchased. I am trying out a new mechanic and he suggested that I have all the Dex Cool flushed from the system and replace it with a traditional antifreeze ( ethylene glycol ).

I have a blown head gasjket on my 98 Deville and I don't want any simular problems with the 2004 SLS. I thought that the cooloing system was designed around Dex Cool since the Caddys operat at a higher temperature than most cars.

Please respond as to wheter I should replace the Dex Cool with ethylene glycol and if power flushing is a good idea or not.

Thank you.

First point; Dex-Cool is also ethylene glycol. What is different about Dex-Cool is the corrosion inhibitor chemistry and color.

Second; I don't advocate flushing anything except commodes. Flushing your cooling system (with water for example) guarantees that you will lose control of the 50/50 mixture and put your freeze protection in question.

A properly maintained Northstar cooling system, using Dex-Cool, is as good as it gets. Mine continues to get the job done at 184,xxx miles.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I'm with JimD. Drain the radiator and aux tank and pull the stat. Refill with 50/50 dex and be on your way. Most mechanics will do a poor job on the flush and you will have both types in your system. Not the end of the world but why bother. Just changes my 03 and 01 with Dex!

Yep - you're doing the right thing. just do a drain & refill with Dex Cool. Add 2 tubes of bars stop leak, and you are set for another 4 years. Neglect of the coolant on the '98 was a likely contributor for HG failure. Changing coolant every 4 years is good. I believe the mechanic wants:

$$ to do a flush

$$ to see you in 2 years to change out the green stuff

Dex is the subject of a lot of myths and you mechanic is a believer in some. He is not alone. I have used Dex in every GM car that I, my wife and 2 daughters have had since '96 and have yet to have a problem. My wife is still driving the '96 Bonneville with 160K (with Dex). I'd say drain & refill 50/50 Dex and distilled water.

I'd say drain & refill 50/50 Dex and distilled water.

I would also venture to say that using distilled water is a VERY GOOD IDEA.

When you consider the wide variation in tap water quality across the country, with assorted minerals and stuff in the water...I don't think I want tap water in my car. :D:D

Posted Image

The bars leak supplement is no longer recommended to be added for a routine coolant change.

Where did this change come from?

Is this true for ALL years?

Is the 4.9 included?

What caused this change, why all of a sudden?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Take a deep breath, Mike. :)

I have spent some time reading you-know-who's posts regarding the cooling system and the supplement and here's what I'm reading between the lines. Understand what follows is my interpretation and all of it can be dismissed as hearsay.

GM/Cadillac started factory installing the supplement material in all-aluminum engines at some point simply as an insurance policy against "nuisance" leaks. After a few (?) years, the demographic population that was buying new Cadillacs starting complaining to dealership service departments about the visible accumulation of "brown crud" in the coolant reservoirs. The vehicle owners saw the brown crud as rust. And rust in a cooling system had always been perceived as evil.

GM/Cadillac elected to discontinue adding/recommending the supplement material at some point (2000?) to stop the accumulation of brown crud and calm the concerns of the new car buying demographic.

Since I know the brown crud is nothing more than the (harmless) evidence of the supplement dropping out of solution, I do and will continue to add the supplement as recommended in 1998.

In fact, I use the presence of brown crud as an indicator that my cooling system contains "at least enough" supplement material.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The bars leak supplement is no longer recommended to be added for a routine coolant change.

Where did this change come from?

Is this true for ALL years?

Is the 4.9 included?

What caused this change, why all of a sudden?

The 4.x (4.1, 4.5, 4.9) engines are NOT included. GM discontinued usage of the supplement long after the 4.9 engines were discontinued. Owners of cars with the 4.x engines must continue to use the cooling supplement due to the o-rings on the wet cylinder liners.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I would venture to say that draining, and refilling the system using the PRE-MIXED 50/50 Dexcool, is an EVEN BETTER idea.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I would venture to say that draining, and refilling the system using the PRE-MIXED 50/50 Dexcool, is an EVEN BETTER idea.

You have a good point there...didn't even think of that. :D

Posted Image

I'm not sure that the pre-mixed Dex is premixed with distilled water. It is less $ to mix it with distilled water yourself.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I agree, I don't know who said it, but buying the ready mix is more expensive than buying it straight, I think it was the guru.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I agree that buying the pre-mixed Dexcool may be a little more costly. When I first heard about the whole "scam" for lack of a better term, I was PERSONALLY and solidly against it. BUT I used it myself, and that changed my opinion drastically.

The convenience and the PEACE OF MIND that comes from just draining and refilling, not having to worry about the concentration, not having to make sure you have exactly the right amount in each container, not having to worry about if your water is OK or not, makes the whole process very simple and accurate......it just doesn't get any better than that.

This is coming from a guy that measures 7.5 quarts of oil and then counts the number of hash marks on the dipstick for future reference............ :rolleyes: Me!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived